Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FFmpeg 7.0 "Dijkstra" released 2024-04-05 (Read 15847 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from ffmpeg 6.1 released 2...

Re: FFmpeg 7.0 "Dijkstra" released 2024-04-05

Reply #25
[...]
Its mostly now low-effort, by state sponsored maintenance work over auto-detected issues in source code - of questionable outcomes and benefit.
[...]
There is some cool and nice stuff, like cleanups and refactoring but net results is still negative.
And yet, of the 1775 patches that went into ffmpeg, you used 1376 in librempeg, if my counts are correct. That doesn't seem like "mostly fixes of questionable outcomes and benefits" nor "some cool and nice stuff but net result negative" to me.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #26
Its mostly now low-effort, by state sponsored maintenance work over auto-detected issues in source code - of questionable outcomes and benefit.

net results is still negative.
That's an extraordinary claim needing specific examples.
Are you trying to say that it's better to leave the auto-detected issues unsolved? Even those potentially exploitable? Which is what fuzzing/static analysis tools are mostly trying to find.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #27
[...]
[...]
There is some cool and nice stuff, like cleanups and refactoring but net results is still negative.
And yet, of the 1775 patches that went into ffmpeg, you used 1376 in librempeg, if my counts are correct. That doesn't seem like "mostly fixes of questionable outcomes and benefits" nor "some cool and nice stuff but net result negative" to me.

Such reasoning is flawed. There is no correlation between number of new commits since some fixed period and quality of project itself.
Extreme reductions lead to lies.
Please remove my account from this forum.

Reply #28

net results is still negative.
That's an extraordinary claim needing specific examples.
Are you trying to say that it's better to leave the auto-detected issues unsolved? Even those potentially exploitable? Which is what fuzzing/static analysis tools are mostly trying to find.

Trying and actually fixing are different sets.
Net results is negative because today trends only goes down for the project.
Once upon in time FFmpeg had Gold Era in development, that time is long gone and forgotten.

Reply #30
There is no correlation between number of new commits since some fixed period and quality of project itself.
Extreme reductions lead to lies.
Yes, but that is not what I was saying. I wasn't implying any relationship between number of commits and quality of projects.

I was just noting that looking at the commits went into ffmpeg, about 75% of those were also applied to librempeg. So, apparently, 75% of the commits that went into ffmpeg were 'good' as they went into librempeg as well.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #31
Dunno from where you got such "statistics" but I pushed almost all commits from FFmpeg, minus commits that touch code that got removed from Librempeg.