Skip to main content
Topic: use transacted filesystem for saving configuration ? (Read 268 times) previous topic - next topic

use transacted filesystem for saving configuration ?

Hello,

in f2k 1.4.1 ->preferences->advanced->tools
we can set
[ ] use transacted filesystem for saving configuration

Can somebody please explain what this feature does, if enabled?

I found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_NTFS but I'm unable to understand what this checkbox will do.
Will this help not losing all changed/updated configuration in case f2k crashes?

Thanks in advance!

Re: use transacted filesystem for saving configuration ?

Reply #1
I haven't seen foobar's code, but as you found out yourself from the linked page, it most likely refers to handling the configuration file changes atomically. That means either everything completes fine and the new version gets promoted to active, or if anything happens during the update process (such as power loss), the current version of the config doesn't get obliterated. Only the temporary files used during the update process will get invalidated on the next start and then you can try again.

For example a naive approach for updates would be to just start writing the file from the beginning with the new values. If power suddenly went off, you'd end up with a file that contains half the new data and half the old (not yet ovewritten), almost certainly becoming corrupted and unusable in the process.

If you are concerned about not losing data, you should also make frequents backups with something like this (make sure to adjusts its configuration as by default it doesn't capture all folders most consider essential):
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_jesus

Re: use transacted filesystem for saving configuration ?

Reply #2
Will this help not losing all changed/updated configuration in case f2k crashes?
Hi there,

Also not a developer here, but I'm thinking not. I think foobar only saves the config when you exit, or use (shift key) File > Save Configuration. So this option would only ensure it is safely written to disk.(?)

I have noticed some config changes are saved immediately (like toolbar changes), while other things like library / database changes (play counts) are not saved without a proper exit/save.

(Of course standard disclaimer that I could be unwittingly talking rubbish)

Cheers ;)

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019