Skip to main content
Topic: Response control prevents running DR meter on DVD-A (Read 1849 times) previous topic - next topic

Response control prevents running DR meter on DVD-A

This is a very specific problem, nonetheless I hope it can be solved. Foobar2000 1.1.10 introduced some kind of "response control" which checks if the program hangs. I suspect that this response control effectively prevents running the DR Meter plugin on DVD-A ISO tracks (MLP).

To reproduce:

foobar2000 1.1.10+
foo_dynamic_range 1.1.1
foo_input_dvda 0.4.11

Mark all tracks of a DVD-A ISO which are of the same channel configuration and resolution and start a DR meter run on them. Foobar2000 will invariably lock up during this process, become unresponsive and needs to be shut down forcibly. Now repeat the same process with foobar2000 1.1.9 and observe that the DR meter process will finish sucessfully.

Reply #2
Not really, 1st of all if it can be pinned down to a foobar version, the responsibility is to make the program work with any APIs work and secondly that link you use only points to a 3rd party licensee who doesn't fix or update anything. If an SDK breach would be found for foo_dynamic_range things would be different.

Reply #3
Hi Sandrine,

please tell me where can I download foo_dynamic_range 1.1.1?

I have version 1.0.0 but it is dated and no more working, and I couldn't fine anything else on the official website.

Many thanks
Andrea

This is a very specific problem, nonetheless I hope it can be solved. Foobar2000 1.1.10 introduced some kind of "response control" which checks if the program hangs. I suspect that this response control effectively prevents running the DR Meter plugin on DVD-A ISO tracks (MLP).

To reproduce:

foobar2000 1.1.10+
foo_dynamic_range 1.1.1
foo_input_dvda 0.4.11

Mark all tracks of a DVD-A ISO which are of the same channel configuration and resolution and start a DR meter run on them. Foobar2000 will invariably lock up during this process, become unresponsive and needs to be shut down forcibly. Now repeat the same process with foobar2000 1.1.9 and observe that the DR meter process will finish sucessfully.

Reply #5
Sandrine,
Please always send automated crash reports of such issues. I guess you have already done so, but due to the nature of deadlock reports it is difficult to automatically assign problem causes to them, hence I am having trouble sorting through hundreds of reports that I cannot help against (mainly lockups somewhere within DirectSound code) to reach reports that are actually interesting.

It would be very helpful if you could:
* Send a deadlock report of this issue from the latest beta version of foobar2000.
* Send a deadlock report of this issue from the latest stable version of foobar2000 (important: deadlock detection is less aggressive in the stable versions than in the betas!)
* Post on the forum after doing so - I will look for reports matching your IP address.
Thanks.

Reply #6
Thanks for your reply, Peter. I've tested with 1.1.14beta2 and the issue still persists. Unfortunately, when foobar2000 freezes, no report is generated to be submitted. I get the dreaded hourglass animation and further clicking will just kill the task.

Reply #7
Deadlock detection does not cause foobar2000 to freeze, it causes it to crash after it has been frozen for long enough. What you're seeing is some component bug but it's not directly caused by deadlock detection. In the beta versions, if you wait patiently long enough (about five minutes should do), it will crash and generate a report.

Re: Response control prevents running DR meter on DVD-A

Reply #8
Problem is still present 3 years later; will it be considered some day?

Reply #9
I don't think Peter has developed psychic powers since he last posted so perhaps you can provide the crash reports he was asking for.

Reply #10
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,94478.0.html
You also answered there....

The bug is known to appear since 1.1.10 (deadlock) so I don't understand what's so difficult to understand being so many times reported.
Just disable that deadlock code for the plugin. End.

Forgive my rant, but I already reported another bug in the ABX plguin and one year later after an update, still waiting for an aswer. So it gets frustrating at some point.

Foobar never creates crash report because it does not crash, just hangs. The SO closes the program if you try to use foobar while hanging and that's all. Probably that's why there is no report yet.

If there is something more I can do or test, just ask

Reply #12
Then I don't understand why this has been happening since it was added...

As I said, I would really want to help and test anything you ask me to do but foobar is just hanging and not crashing so I don't know what more can be done without crash reports.

Is there a debug version to test where it hangs? Or any other way to see what's happening here?

Reply #13
Hello??

Reply #14
Still a third party plugin's fault for locking up the user interface. There are ways in the SDK to implement progress dialogs that leave the main user interface fully responsive. The author of this component chose not to use them. Not Peter's fault.

Reply #15
To me this is not a discussion about anyone's fault but about finding a solution since I think this can be addressed in the main program at least for this specific case (it didn't happen old releases) and plugin.
4 years and no solution from anyone... 
There is no source code for foobar, there is no Debug release to use in MVSC, there is no source code for DR meter, ...
I fully agree the author could have done X or Y but he didn't; DR meter is still widely used and nobody seems to care about a serious bug. So obviously I have to complain in some way to make it "public", not that it's Peter's fault in any way.

Already contacted the "author" supposing he is the developer of this web.
http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Reply #16
DR meter is still widely used and nobody seems to care about a serious bug.
http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Maybe this points to the crux of the issue. Widely used by whom? 

I believe if you search this forum you will find the general thought is that DR is a  cute little number and many would love for it to provide insight and have inherent value.

However, few consider it to have any merit.

Reply #17
... So you come here just to post a comment not related at all with the bug nor the solution.

A meta-discussion about the utility of the plugin? Really?

Check the rules before trolling.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,3974.html
All members that post to the Hydrogenaudio community must acknowledge and discuss only acceptable topics when starting a new thread.  If posting to an already existing thread, they must continue in the vein of discussion that the thread has already manifested; if they wish to change topics, they must start a new thread.

Reply #18
Seeing the interest from foobar or DR meter developers to fix this problem... if anyone wants a workaround just use older foobar versions which work flawlessly without the response control despite what has been said here.

Foobar 1.1.9
http://www.oldapps.com/foobar2000.php?old_foobar=6803
DVD-A
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/?source=typ_redirect
SACD
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/foo_input_sacd-0.6.6.zip/download
DR meter
http://dr.loudness-war.info/downloads/foo_dynamic_range_1.1.1.zip

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019