Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC - splitting by cuesheet (Read 14183 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC - splitting by cuesheet

Until Spoon has put cuesheet splitting of wave files into his software, I'm stuck using EAC's option, which although works fine - suffers from the inability to include a help file..

I want to split a wave up, so that any gaps in the CUE file are added to the end of the previous track..  which to me seems the logical choice.

Which of the options actually means that? :
'with gaps'
'with gaps corrected'
'leave out gaps'
'individual indeces'

My guess is with gaps, but what does that mean gaps corrected is?  The same as leave out gaps?  I'm confused

Thanks
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #1
Until Spoon has put cuesheet splitting of wave files into his software, I'm stuck using EAC's option, which although works fine - suffers from the inability to include a help file..

I want to split a wave up, so that any gaps in the CUE file are added to the end of the previous track..  which to me seems the logical choice.

'with gaps'
'with gaps corrected'
'leave out gaps'
'individual indeces'

My guess is with gaps, but what does that mean gaps corrected is?  The same as leave out gaps?  I'm confused

Thanks

I once asked this same question and never got a response I was 100% satisfied with.  I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your question, but there might be another thread out there with more information on the subject.  Hopefully, though, someone with more knowledge will respond and let us both know. 

Just so you know, I've been using the "with gaps" option and it seems to split *.wav files the same as if I extracted them individually.  So that is probably the best way to do it.  However, like you, I'm hoping for better clarification.

Daffy

Reply #2
Correct!

EDIT:
My guess is with gaps, but what does that mean gaps corrected is? The same as leave out gaps? I'm confused

'with gaps' = default way: add pauses ('gaps')  to previous track
'with gaps corrected' = add gaps to the next track
'leave out gaps' = leave out the gaps (pauses)
'individual indeces' = gaps are extracted as tracks. Using this option, a CD containing 20 tracks will result in 40 WAV files (well, 39 exactly, but NM)

Hope this helps 

Reply #3
The FAQ is there.

"Tutorial about gaps and CUE Sheets @EAC, by Mestrelion", and "Editing cuesheets by Mestrelion". If you're confused about gaps, you might begin with "What is a gap and why detecting them is not necessary ?"

Reply #4
All I found with the search and the FAQ was options for ripping a CD with/without gaps...  including the thread on HA linked to in 'editing cuesheets'..  the 'tutorial about gaps' is also only about ripping, unless I'm getting really bad at scan-reading
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #5
Sorry, I thought the "EAC CUE Sheets ASCII formats explained" thread, with the gap settings - split settings matching table would be the answer.
It seems your problem is easier, but since I've never used a cuesheet in my life, I can't help you.

Reply #6

'with gaps'
'with gaps corrected'
'leave out gaps'
'individual indeces'

Thanks

"Gaps corrected" means "Append gaps to the next track"*
"With gaps" means "Append tracks to previous track"

Clear and simple.
If you do not believe me, do some experimenting by yourself

*Can someone give an example were I would like to use this?
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #7

Ripping track 1 of a CD with a track hidden in the pregap, maybe...

Reply #8

If you want to use any burner other then EAC, like CDRWin.

Somehow the CUESheet generated by the "with gaps" option is not standart, and is not recognizzed as a valid CUESheet in any burner but EAC. Thats why the weird  "append gaps to the next track" is called "gaps corrected": because it generates a CUE Sheet that can be read by other software.

Reply #9
Somehow the CUESheet generated by the "with gaps" option is not standart, and is not recognizzed as a valid CUESheet in any burner but EAC. Thats why the weird  "append gaps to the next track" is called "gaps corrected": because it generates a CUE Sheet that can be read by other software.
So, do I have to generate 2 different cue sheets ... one for correct burning with EAC and one which "can be read by other software" (for burning and playback) ?  confused ....

Reply #10
'with gaps' = default way: add pauses ('gaps')  to previous track
'with gaps corrected' = add gaps to the next track
'leave out gaps' = leave out the gaps (pauses)
'individual indeces' = gaps are extracted as tracks. Using this option, a CD containing 20 tracks will result in 40 WAV files (well, 39 exactly, but NM)

Is this officially stated somewhere (i.e. on the EAC homepage or help file) ? Couldn't find this ...

Reply #11
So, do I have to generate 2 different cue sheets ... one for correct burning with EAC and one which "can be read by other software" (for burning and playback) ?

No.  There is a one to one relationship between the correct cue sheet and what EAC does with the gaps when ripping (or splitting a single wave image which is what this topic is about).

CUE sheets were never intended to be used as playlists.  Unless you're using a single-file image or individual wave tracks and want additional metadata (such as replaygain), there's really no reason to use a cue sheet with a media player.  Use a real playlist (pls, m3u) instead.

Finally, EAC is not the only burning software that can handle noncompliant sheets, Burrrn can as well.

Reply #12
PS: What you've quoted from liekloo is correct, besides the part about how many individual files there will be if you have a disc of 20 tracks; it could be as few as 20, it could be as many as 200 (the index can go from 0 to 99 and some tracks may only have just an INDEX 01 without a pregap or indices greater than 1).  I don't know if this is stated anywhere officially, but it is nonetheless true.

To list what type of cue sheet goes with what type of gap handling:

- Multiple WAV Files With Leftout Gaps CUE sheet is for when EAC has Leave Out Gaps selected at the bottom of the Action menu.

- Multiple WAV Files With Gaps (Noncompliant) is for when Append Gaps To Previous Track (default) is selected, or selected and grayed-out.

- Multiple WAV Files With Corrected Gaps is for when Append Gaps To Next Track is selected.

- While not a specific menu item when telling EAC to make a CUE sheet, CUE sheets for individual indices will be created when you tell EAC split an image (under the Tools menu)

- Single WAV File should be self-explanatory.

- Current Gap Settings will automatically choose the correct one, though this functionality wasn't exactly foolproof, though it has supposedly been fixed since 0.99pb5 but I have not tested it.  Before the fix, it was important that you test gaps first and then verify how EAC is configured to handle gaps before ripping.  Correct the selection if it isn't what you want and then you can rip and tell EAC to create a sheet based on current gap settings.  Whether you rip and then create the sheet, or vice-versa does not matter.

Reply #13
No.  There is a one to one relationship between the correct cue sheet and what EAC does with the gaps when ripping (or splitting a single wave image which is what this topic is about).

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this. What relationship? MestreLion said that "with gaps" creates a non-compliant CUE.sheet that cannot be read by other software. I don't want to create non-compliant files, LOL  Seriously, why does EAC create non-compliant files, and - what is more - in "with gaps" mode (which is for all intents and purposes the default option and used by 99% of CD rippers in the wild, at least from what I've read here).

CUE sheets were never intended to be used as playlists. Unless you're using a single-file image or individual wave tracks and want additional metadata (such as replaygain), there's really no reason to use a cue sheet with a media player.  Use a real playlist (pls, m3u) instead.

what's wrong with playing CUE sheets? when I have a CD image and cue sheet, I like just clicking on the cue file and winamp plays, so that's fine for me ...

Finally, EAC is not the only burning software that can handle noncompliant sheets, Burrrn can as well.

Ok, why creating non-compliant sheets in the first place ?

To list what type of cue sheet goes with what type of gap handling:

???? My brain is burning there ... that's all so confusing. Why are there different types of cue sheets created by a single program (EAC) ?? One single cue sheet would be enough ... no ? I didn't understand one bit of your list  sorry ...

Reply #14
Ok, why creating non-compliant sheets in the first place ?

It's the only way to maintain the proper timing and include gap information when tracks are created with gaps appended at the end.

CUE sheets were designed for burning, not as playlists.  While it's your choice misuse a CUE sheet as a playlist, realize there may be inconveniences as a result.

Since you appear to be confused, let me give you some links:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti..._and_Cue_Sheets
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...AC_Gap_Settings

Reply #15
It's the only way to maintain the proper timing and include gap information when tracks are created with gaps appended at the end.
Ok, I will read those links, thank you! In the meanwhile I want to express my bewilderment, because for me - logically - there should only be ONE correct CUE sheet for a given CD. The cue sheet only describes the CD content. How you want to deal with that content (especially how you want to deal with the gaps) is an entirely different and independent question.

CUE sheets were designed for burning, not as playlists.  While it's your choice misuse a CUE sheet as a playlist, realize there may be inconveniences as a result.

for example ?

Reply #16
OK, I had a quick look into the links (and I will still read them thoroughly later on), and I understand better now ... and I know I have badly phrased my points so far, but nevertheless, with a bit of imagination you surely know what I meant by " there should only be ONE correct CUE sheet for a given CD", right ?

Reply #17
How you want to deal with that content (especially how you want to deal with the gaps) is an entirely different and independent question.
No, it is not.  Please read the links provided.

for example ?
Have you tried loading a noncompliant CUE into foobar2000 or Nero?

Reply #18
you surely know what I meant by " there should only be ONE correct CUE sheet for a given CD", right ?

I do but that also means that there should only be one way to organize a CD in wave format; there isn't.

Reply #19
okay, thank your for helping greynol. I will stop commenting here, because I think it is pointless before I've read more about this issue in the links you provided. I hope to be back here one day though  kind regards.