Skip to main content
Topic: "open" in-ear headphones? (Read 2736 times) previous topic - next topic

"open" in-ear headphones?

I've been using the Klipsch Image S2 in-ear headphones and loved them. Then i went ahead and lost them so now i'm looking for a new pair.

The only problem i had with the Image S2's is that they were too isolating for me (one man's woe, another man's dough).
So i wonder, is there such a thing as open or semi-open in-ear headphones? I like in-ear's because of the superior sound, which might well be due to their isolating design, i don't know.
But maybe there is some kind of compromise? Something that sits good in the ear and has wide frequency range, but lets through a bit of the "background noise"?

Reply #1
Bowers & Wilkens C5.
lame3995o -Q1.7
opus --bitrate 140

Reply #2
One of the "features" of the B&W C5 is "noise isolation". My guess is that in-ears have to be sealed in order to provide deeper bass, and therefore isolate noise. If you want both deep bass and "open" design, I'd think you need big drivers.

Reply #3
You could always try to drill a tiny hole in the back of the monitors and see how that works out...

Reply #4
One of the "features" of the B&W C5 is "noise isolation". My guess is that in-ears have to be sealed in order to provide deeper bass, and therefore isolate noise. If you want both deep bass and "open" design, I'd think you need big drivers.

Andy is right. Try listening with proper in-ears that aren't sealed properly and they lose most of their bass.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019