Skip to main content
Topic: iPod manager (Read 1626324 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: iPod manager

Reply #4100
I deleted the above mapping. Now I am back to the steps to reflect this on my iPod. I looked back to post 4075 - around there. It's easy to find "Load library". But, for me, I can never figure out how to access this playlist and right-click on everything and choose "Rewrite Database". I used "Facets" exclusively. Can someone explain this in a way that is useful to me? I NEVER see anything like "iPod View" or anything like that on my screen. And, is it"Rewrite Database" that I want and not "Update Metadata"?

Reply #4101
add "Playlist tabs" and "playlist view" in to your layout.

File > Ipod > load library. you should see a new playlist showing all the music on your iPod.

From there you should be able to select all or individual tracks and rewrite database.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #4102

File > Ipod > load library. you should see a new playlist showing all the music on your iPod.

From there you should be able to select all or individual tracks and rewrite database.
Here is what I did:
In my setup, at top left, below the File menu, is a drop-down list with just two items: Library and Playlist. It usually set to Library.
1. I changed this to playlist Everything looks the same. This is probably because I don't have any playlist other than the one that contains my entire library [default?].
2. From the File menu, I chose "New Playlist" or Ctrl-N. This seems to clear everything.
3. Now, File Menu, iPod, "Load Library". populates the playlist.
4. Now, File Menu, iPod, "Rewrite Database".
5. Eject
6. Go to the device, iPod, Music>Compilations and unfortunately, there is now nothing.
If U look back over my posts, U can see that I had one album appearing there before this action. Both of these albums in my library [media library on my hard drive] have the Compilation tag set to 1.  I deleted the mapping in iPod Manager, that was trying to set this tag. This is why I thought I need to do the "Load library" and "Rewrite Database"? Is there something else I need to do?

Reply #4103
Sorry i messed up the previous steps

Make any changes to the metadata on the files in the iPod view playlist.

Select those changed files or all files and right click >  ipod > update metadata. This will update the database on the ipod as well.

You shouldn't actually need to use the rewrite database.

Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #4104
Sorry i messed up the previous steps

Make any changes to the metadata on the files in the iPod view playlist.

Select those changed files or all files and right click >  ipod > update metadata. This will update the database on the ipod as well.

You shouldn't actually need to use the rewrite database.
[I tried to do what you wrote above, but]
1. I could not figure out [in my setup] how to "add "Playlist tabs" and "playlist view" in to your layout."
2. This is why I listed all the steps I did.
3. How is this different? What I did compared to what you suggested?
4. Now, when I click on "Synchronize", usually I only have "Media Library" checked. But, after doing "New Playlist" multiple times, there are 9 additional different entries: "Playlist", "Playlist (2)", ... , "Playlist (3)". How do I remove all these entries?
Does this help you in helping me? Because, obviously, there is something I don't understand here, but I am trying... Remember, I don't use playlists and have relied on Facets all this time with Foobar. Anything I did in the past with a playlist was fumbling around and if it worked, it was probably from luck. Unfortunately, it seems as if I need to learn this in order to do these "Load library", "Update metadata", "Rewrite Database", etc. commands to work.
EDIT: Well, I found View>Playlist Manager allows the removal of all those "Playlist" entries in the iPod Synchronize dialog. Also, something in what I did resulted on their being no Compilations in device iPod>Music>Compilations whereas before there was one entry.
EDIT2: [As a test...] I added a non-functioned tag, "Debug", to both of those albums and a value, "Y". After "touching" these MP3s, the "Synchronize" will work, deleting what is on the iPod and replacing them with the updated MP3s. Unfortunately, even though these have the Compilation tag set to 1, on the device iPod, Music>Compilation is still empty.

Reply #4105
If you have removed the compilation mapping (left it empty), then the component will look at whether the IPOD_COMPILATION field exists for those tracks. So you would need to set IPOD_COMPILATION to 1 or similar for those tracks, and then resync.

As for not being able to see the iPod contents after running Load library, if you post a screenshot of what you can see that might make things a bit clearer.

Reply #4106
If you have removed the compilation mapping (left it empty), then the component will look at whether the IPOD_COMPILATION field exists for those tracks. So you would need to set IPOD_COMPILATION to 1 or similar for those tracks, and then resync.

As for not being able to see the iPod contents after running Load library, if you post a screenshot of what you can see that might make things a bit clearer.
First things first. I do have the COMPILATION tag set to 1 on all of those MP3s in my media library on my hard drive. Are you saying that the iPod does not look at this, but IPOD_COMPILATION instead? I definitely do NOT have this on any of those tracks.
EDIT: Yep. I added IPOD_COMPILATION tag to both of those albums setting it to 1 on each MP3. They now appear in the iPod under Music>Compilations. If I knew this, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble. So, going forward, I can always add this tag to any album I consider to be a compilation. As far as making changes to mappings and then trying to migrate those changes to the iPod, Whatever I did worked. When I deleted the mapping you quoted, it was reflected on the iPod. I listed everything I did in post 7102. Maybe the "New playlist" command is not needed. Maybe I just need some tweaking? I'll need to tweak some mapping to see if I can repeat what worked before.

Reply #4107
The iPod does not look at any tags in the files (other than lyrics) – it looks in its database which this component maintains.

No, the component does not read from a field named COMPILATION in the component's default configuration. If you want to use that field, you need to set the compilation mapping to [%compilation%] .

Reply #4108
The iPod does not look at any tags in the files (other than lyrics) – it looks in its database which this component maintains.

No, the component does not read from a field named COMPILATION in the component's default configuration. If you want to use that field, you need to set the compilation mapping to [%compilation%] .
So, if I change Compilation == %compilation% in the Database tab in iPod Manager and an MP3 has the compilation tag, it will be mapped? I just need to reflect this change in the iPod database? That's what I was trying to do, but need to do more cleanly.

Reply #4109
Yes, you need to run File/iPod/Load library which should cause the iPod contents to appear in the playlist view. Then, select the relevant (or all) tracks in the playlist, right-click on them and select iPod/Update metadata.

If you can't see the iPod contents after running Load library, post a screenshot or a video of what happens.

Reply #4110
Yes, you need to run File/iPod/Load library which should cause the iPod contents to appear in the playlist view. Then, select the relevant (or all) tracks in the playlist, right-click on them and select iPod/Update metadata.

If you can't see the iPod contents after running Load library, post a screenshot or a video of what happens.
One more point of confusion for me.  I referenced this, https://wiki.yuo.be/dop:config:database. When do you need to both "Update Metadata on iPod" and "Rewrite Database"? Or, is it one or the other?
EDIT": I just mapped the database COMPILATION to %compilation% (w/o the brackets []) as you mentioned above. After doing "Load library", I did both a "Update metadata" and "Rewrite database". Now, Music>Compilations on the iPod is empty again. So, something worked, but not as I expected?
EDIT2: I just removed the mapping. Now, Music>Compilations has the two albums that I tagged with IPOD_COMPILATION as before. What's wrong with the mapping? It seems as if I am getting the database update working?

Reply #4111
You don't need to do both, just Update metadata should be enough.

I had another look at the code. It sets the compilation flag only if the mapping outputs a non-zero integer. The square brackets stop a question mark being output if the field does not exist, but that shouldn't make a difference

So, your experience would suggest that %compilation% did not output 1 for any of the tracks you ran Update metadata on. As an experiment, you could set the mapping to just 1 and see if everything moves to the compilation menu.

Reply #4112
You don't need to do both, just Update metadata should be enough.

I had another look at the code. It sets the compilation flag only if the mapping outputs a non-zero integer. The square brackets stop a question mark being output if the field does not exist, but that shouldn't make a difference

So, your experience would suggest that %compilation% did not output 1 for any of the tracks you ran Update metadata on. As an experiment, you could set the mapping to just 1 and see if everything moves to the compilation menu.
1. Only the 2 albums I have mentioned where I added IPOD_COMPILATION == 1 are in Music>Compilations
2. "sets the compilation flag only if the mapping outputs a non-zero integer" If this is true, why would this mapping of %compilation% effectively remove the above 2 albums? IOW, why would it change anything?
3. I am just trying to wrap my head around this. If I set the mapping to 1, how do [can] I undo this?? If I change it back to NULL or 0, what will happen? Will the IPOD_COMPILATION == 1 take effect again?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018