Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Changing tags of files inside .zip or .rar archives (Read 304 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing tags of files inside .zip or .rar archives

It would be great if I could somehow change the file tags inside of .zip or .rar achives without using/creating external tags or m-tags.
Is that possible?

Re: Changing tags of files inside .zip or .rar archives

Reply #1
So you want it to open your archives, unpack them completely, retag the files, then invoke your installed copy of WinRAR to repack the archive?

Reply #2
Ok, it's impossible to do this without unpacking the files first, and then repack them again. The component that extracts the files for playing them only extracts them. I imagine 20 000 files, and someone changes the genre tag, and 20 000 files need to be extracted and then repacked again. I guess this really is disproportionate.

I'll do it with m-tags instead.

Reply #3
Well, if they're solid compressed, it needs to rewrite the whole archive. If they're not, it probably still needs to rewrite the whole archive to reinsert the modified file.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020