Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WaveGain or ReplayGain? (Read 4401 times) previous topic - next topic

WaveGain or ReplayGain?

I'm in the process of coverting my CD's to flac but I'm not sure what the best way to apply gain correction is.

I rip to wav using EAC then,

1. Process w/wavegain, convert & tag to flac or
2. Convert to flac/tag add replaygain using the Flac FrontEnd?

I'm not really concerned about album gain.

Thanks,
Chris

WaveGain or ReplayGain?

Reply #1
FLAC and --replay-gain
It's lossless, if you don't want it you don't have to use it.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

WaveGain or ReplayGain?

Reply #2
If I wanna change the volume of wavs before burning them to Audio CD,
what should I do? Is it ok to use WaveGain for this purpose or can it
harm the audio quality?
Wanna buy a monkey?

WaveGain or ReplayGain?

Reply #3
If I wanna change the volume of wavs before burning them to Audio CD,
what should I do? Is it ok to use WaveGain for this purpose or can it
harm the audio quality?

I suggest you test a couple of files and determine for yourself whether you think there is a problem. Personally, I do it all the time and am very happy with the results, but then I'd be bound to say that wouldn't I?

WaveGain or ReplayGain?

Reply #4
According to David Robinson (ReplayGain creator), WaveGain harms Wav file quality, but it's much, much less than the harm created by, say, mpc -q 10

So it shouldn't be a concern, really... 

WaveGain or ReplayGain?

Reply #5
John 33, do u use dithering? If yes, which mode? (I'm talking about the WaveGain frontend)
I've been reading about how WaveGain isn't lossless and all, but should that worry me if
I use it solely for normalizing a compilation of wavs before burning?
Is there a better way to do this? Perhaps using replaygain and the diskwriter in foobar2000?
BTW, couldn't WaveGain display volume levels just like MP3Gain? I mean, WaveGain calculates
a gain without taking anything else into account, whereas MP3Gain compares the volume
with the user-defined desired volume...
Wanna buy a monkey?

WaveGain or ReplayGain?

Reply #6
Ok, so quality loss is not a big issue then...
Wanna buy a monkey?