Skip to main content
Topic: 'best' art and lyrics plugins? help :) (Read 4912 times) previous topic - next topic

'best' art and lyrics plugins? help :)

hi, i checked out my components with the foobar trouble shooter, and it said i had some problematic ones.
i am just using them because my friend gave me a columns ui theme about a year ago, and i needed the same components he used in order for it to load in.
i reinstalled foobar on my new pc yesterday, and went to import the theme he gave me, and then realised i needed to find all those components.
i came across a newer version of 'lyrics show panel', but it was not just an update, so i still had to install the old one, and then just replace it in the columns ui layout.
anyway, the new lyrics panel is 'better', it has more options, but it is not as smooth as the old one, i put the side by side and i can see the difference. the text kind of stutters along, not that bad, but the older version seemed perfect. the serttings are exactly the same in the new one as the old one, colour, size, font, etc.
also, when i search for a lyric for a song withe the new one, it takes longer to find it, and tells me 'download failed', whilst the old one just works.
so, i think i will use the old one, BUT, is there a better version, like an alternative? since both of them are labeled 'repeated crash' etc..
so, what is the best component for lyrics, and the best for artwork? this is maybe opionion, but any help will be appriciated!
thank you!

foo_uie_vis_channel_spectrum.dll : Channel Spectrum panel 0.17.2
Reason: Repeated crash reports, division by zero bug.
Download the latest version...

foo_uie_lyrics.dll : Lyrics Show Panel (all versions)
Reason: Heavy crashware, no longer developed.

foo_uie_albumart.dll : Album Art Panel
Reason: Crashware, no longer under development.

foo_uie_lyrics2.dll : Lyric Show Panel 2 (all versions)
Reason: Repeated crash / deadlock reports.

Reply #1
I still use foo_uie_albumart cause it does exactly what I want. I don't experience crashes, but I wish somebody will resume development of this plugin some day.

To answer your question, you may perhaps try some WSH panel script (see here).

HTH.

Alessandro

Reply #2
thank you very much, i will check out wsh panel, i haven't come across it yet!
thanks!

Reply #3
Even though foo_uie_lyrics2.dll is listed as crashware, the latest version has never crashed on me once, after weeks (if not months) of constant use. I also like the fact that it doesn't write the lyrics into a tag, but writes it as a lrc/txt file. You can combine that function with Falstaff's excellent Lyriks mod panel.

Reply #4
Concerning album art:

CUI and DUI have their own album art display. Why is it necessary to use anything else, especially when it is a problematic component (foo_uie_albumart)?

Reply #5
[quote author=q-stankovic link=msg=731194 date=1289642859]Why is it necessary to use anything else, especially when it is a problematic component (foo_uie_albumart)?[/quote] Because it has some features that people like and other components do not have?

Alessandro

Reply #6
Even though foo_uie_lyrics2.dll is listed as crashware, the latest version has never crashed on me once, after weeks (if not months) of constant use. I also like the fact that it doesn't write the lyrics into a tag, but writes it as a lrc/txt file. You can combine that function with Falstaff's excellent Lyriks mod panel.

that's what i do 

Reply #7
Because it has some features that people like and other components do not have?

Out of curiosity: What are these features that are worth to live with a crashy component? Why don't you ask musicmusic in CUI thread if he like to implement those features? Your chances will be greater than wating for somebody who will write a new component from the scratch although a well working one with almost same functionality already exist - just to add one feature more!

Reply #8
[quote author=q-stankovic link=msg=731211 date=1289659057]What are these features that are worth to live with a crashy component?[/quote]Oh boy, where do I start? In no particular order:

- wildcard matching
- configurable multiple sources (edit: and automatic cycling of all the sources)
- easily switch follow cursor / now playing
- configurable mouse functions

Just to name the ones I find most useful.

And, as I already pointed out, the component may be crashy but I use foobar several hours every day and I haven't seen a crash in months. I can't believe it's only luck... (but I concede that a few quirks pop up every now and then).
[quote author=q-stankovic link=msg=731211 date=1289659057]Why don't you ask musicmusic in CUI thread if he like to implement those features?[/quote]I doubt he will be willing to implement all the above features and, moreover, why should I provided the current component works reasonably well?[quote author=q-stankovic link=msg=731211 date=1289659057]Your chances will be greater than wating for somebody who will write a new component from the scratch[/quote]Well, sources are available (V0.2.7, not 0.2.7.1 though): there's a also a chance that someone will resume it and bring new life to the component (and no, I'm not holding my breath ).

Regards.

Alessandro

Reply #9
- wildcard matching
- configurable multiple sources (edit: and automatic cycling of all the sources)
- easily switch follow cursor / now playing
- configurable mouse functions
All that is not striked through will work in CUI - so there is not so much to ask musicmusic.

And, as I already pointed out, the component may be crashy but I use foobar several hours every day and I haven't seen a crash in months. I can't believe it's only luck...
If it is neither luck nor a conspirancy - what is it then?

Reply #10
Your post pushed me to have another look to CUI Artreader (it's been a while, so thank you for that) and I must say it's almost there.

Apparently the only thing missing is wildcard matching. And it suffers of some repaint issues, the same I see with foo_ui_albumart so perhaps my drivers needs an update.

At this point I may as well nag musicmusic for that missing feature (crossing fingers ).

Alessandro

Reply #11
wow thanks for the help
i noticed that with the album art panel that comes with cui, if i have it to follow the track i am have selected (not playing, just what i have clicked on in my library) then yes, it shows the selected track's album art. if i open up the settings of foobar, then the album art disappears, probably since it is not 'selected'. but with the other album art panels, this doesn't happen. also, with the cui album art panel, when my cursor is on it, it is not an 'arrow', it turns into a 'hand' it annoys me

Reply #12
Looks like I was too quick with my judgement. I'm afraid CUI Artwork view is still missing several crucial (for me) features:

- wildcard matching: yes, it's there, kind of... Without the cycling feature it's useless: I have multiple images for a single artist and I like to see them in sequence (along with the album cover) while listening to a song.
- configurable multiple sources: yes, it's there, kind of... How do I define the sources for no-cover and http stream images? (ok, that's not critical, but with foo_uie_albumart it's doable)
- easily switch follow cursor / now playing: I might have missed that, but to me easily means with a single mouse click. Is it possible?

So I'm afraid there is much to ask musicmusic and it doesn't seem trivial (though I don't know anything about C programming ).

@joshuatm: perhaps selecting Right click -> Displayed track -> Playlist selection will help.

Alessandro

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020