Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: NAS and file management? (Read 2144 times) previous topic - next topic

NAS and file management?

I did some searching around the forums and couldn't find anything that work, maybe you guys could help.  I bought one of those Network Attached Storage drives - 1TB, only accessible as a shared network device.  I probably have close to 300gigs of music on there - mostly MP3, some WAV,  FLAC and AIFF.  For a long while I was pretty much only MP3, but now I'm downloading FLAC whenever possible. 

I was allowing iTunes to manage my music for me.  But as it doesn't  play FLAC, it doesn't organize that either.  Managing a networked drive via iTunes is as simple as pointing the home folder to the folder on the drive (just be sure to always have the drive accessible for iTunes before opening the program).

So I'm looking for file management software that plays well with NAS and is very robust with file compatibility.  Any suggestions?

NAS and file management?

Reply #1
I did some searching around the forums and couldn't find anything that work, maybe you guys could help.  I bought one of those Network Attached Storage drives - 1TB, only accessible as a shared network device.  I probably have close to 300gigs of music on there - mostly MP3, some WAV,  FLAC and AIFF.  For a long while I was pretty much only MP3, but now I'm downloading FLAC whenever possible. 

I was allowing iTunes to manage my music for me.  But as it doesn't  play FLAC, it doesn't organize that either.  Managing a networked drive via iTunes is as simple as pointing the home folder to the folder on the drive (just be sure to always have the drive accessible for iTunes before opening the program).

So I'm looking for file management software that plays well with NAS and is very robust with file compatibility.  Any suggestions?

J. River Media Center. VERY robust.

NAS and file management?

Reply #2
Just convert all of your FLAC files to ALAC?

NAS and file management?

Reply #3

I don't see what the fact the files are on your NAS has to do with the problem.  Any software you like should work fine, map the network drive to a drive letter if need be.

Creature of habit.