Skip to main content
Topic: foobar2000 v1.1 won't import my music folder (Read 8308 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v1.1 won't import my music folder

I've decided to give foobar a try. But when I try to import my music folder it says "Initializing..." for what seems like indefinitely. My music collection is about 27000 files. Winamp is able to import it in about 25 minutes. Foobar still says "Initializing..." after almost 2 hours.

Should I keep waiting? Or is there something I can do?

Reply #1
"Initializing..." where, in Preferences > Media Library, in the column next to the relevant music folder path?
Have you clicked [OK] or [Apply] after adding the folder (there)?
Or do you mean something else?
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
"Initializing..." where, in Preferences > Media Library, in the column next to the relevant music folder path?
Have you clicked [OK] or [Apply] after adding the folder (there)?
Or do you mean something else?

Yes, in the Preferences > Media Library (or Library > Configure) window. I've clicked "Apply" and "Ok". But when I re-open the window it still says "Initializing..." and there is "Nothing to show" in my All Music section.

Reply #3
OK.

Where does the music folder reside? A standard folder on a local harddisk, remote folder on a network share, or some other kind of virtual drive?

What are the last messages under Main menu > View > Console?

Do you still notice some (HDD) activity, or does it seem really stuck? If you open Task Manager, does foobar2000 take some constant amount of CPU time or is it rather idle?

Reply #4
Where does the music folder reside?

Network drive (\\myothercomputer\music)

What are the last messages under Main menu > View > Console?

Ah! That's very helpful. Looks like it's still processing stuff because new messages keep appearing (mostly "Multiple ID3v2 tags encountered"). I guess I'll keep waiting.

Thanks.

Reply #5
OK, great. Yes, that's a good sign.

Anyway, the time still seems a bit big, but not as much for a network device. During fb2k's import, all tags of all files have to be read, which can take some time.

If the 25 minutes were just to go through all folders and gather the files, it would make sense to take longer to read the tags from them as well - but I don't know what kind of import in Winamp we are speaking about.

(Maybe related, if the network share is provided by a NAS or Linux running Samba server, you might notice future problems due to a bug in Samba.)

Reply #6
Well it looks like foobar finished the import. So all is good. Thanks for your time.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019