Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUE sheet ptoblem: last track is too long (Read 5352 times) previous topic - next topic

CUE sheet ptoblem: last track is too long

I have a large FLAC image file containing dozens of tracks.  It works fine.

However, I want to create a CUE sheet containing a smaller selection of tracks from that image file.  So I load the master FLAC image into Foobar2000, remove the tracks I don't want from the playlist, and save the remainder as a CUE sheet.  But when I load the new CUE sheet, the final track is always waaay too long.  It starts in the right place, but doesn't end when it should -- instead it plays all the way to the end of the image.

Is there any way to write a CUE sheet that works the way I want it to -- where, if the last track in the CUE sheet isn't the last track in the image file, it still ends where it's supposed to?  I guess what I'm asking is, "How can I specify an endpoint for that last track?"

Thanks.

Reply #1
Is there any particular reason it has to be a .cue? Playlists (m3u, m3u8, pls, etc) are better suited for what you are trying to do imho.
The reason why the last .cue track continues to run to the end of the image is that you can only specify a pre-gap in the first entry of the track and the start point of the track, but not the ending point. The ending point is where the next track starts.

edit: If i has to be a .cue, you can select the tracks you need and convert them selecting "multi-track" in the converter options. Foobar will then make a new file with a new cuesheet. Keep in mind that foobar loses the hidden track zero in this process, which is needed for a bit-accurate copy afaik.

Reply #2
Is there any particular reason it has to be a .cue? Playlists (m3u, m3u8, pls, etc) are better suited for what you are trying to do imho.
The reason why the last .cue track continues to run to the end of the image is that you can only specify a pre-gap in the first entry of the track and the start point of the track, but not the ending point. The ending point is where the next track starts.

edit: If i has to be a .cue, you can select the tracks you need and convert them selecting "multi-track" in the converter options. Foobar will then make a new file with a new cuesheet. Keep in mind that foobar loses the hidden track zero in this process, which is needed for a bit-accurate copy afaik.

It doesn't have to be a .cue per se, but whatever kind of playlist I use, I don't want to have to create additional .flac files -- I'd prefer that the playlists refer back to the main image file.  I tried saving my selection tracks, using foobar2000, into an .m3u playlist but couldn't get it to save the right information.  A 15-track .m3u playlist, for example, will just have the same incorrect entry -- the path to the entire image file -- repeated 15 times.

Reply #3
Ah, m3u might not be a good choice. I forgot the playlist can only reference a file, not a point in a file...
What about foobar's native playlist format? I have several playlist loaded in foobar that reference tracks inside .flac images.

I think foobar's format only supports absolute path, not relative, though.

Reply #4
I have several playlist loaded in foobar that reference tracks inside .flac images.

you are probably thinking about FLACs with embedded CUE sheets

Reply #5
Foobar's native playlist format aka "fpl" would work just fine. The cue sheet can be external or embedded.

Another solution is to create APL files and an m3u playlist that refers to them. An APL file is a small link file that points to a single track in an album image file. Each APL file can store all kinds of file tags. APL creation, tagging and playback support comes with foobar's Monkey's Audio component, but the compression format in foobar is not limited to Monkey's Audio. FLAC > CUE > APL files (one for each track) would work fine.

EDIT

IMHO, the best solution would be to convert the disc image files to individual track files. I used to rip to image + cue format, but I have changed to  the more compatible track file format. I have used CUETools for converting my old image files and cuesheets. I can always easily recreate a disc image file with CUETools if I want to do that for some odd reason.