Skip to main content
Topic: foobar2000 randomly stops playback (Read 10276 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 randomly stops playback

Hello everyone,

First I'd like to apologize my terrifying knowledge of the English language. It's holidays in Germany and I'm not really trained in English at the moment. Thank you!
Second, foobar2000 seems to be a great audio player! It's fast, simple and customizable, and since I first used it, I prefer it to others and want to pay the developers my tribute.

But let's now come to my - in my personal opinion very strange - problem. Since a few days, my foobar2000 (as written in the topic's title) randomly stops the playback after some seconds or sometimes minutes of playing. Somewhere else, I read about error messages and corrupted FLAC files - but there's two things worth telling them: [1st] I'm not getting any error messages! I'm also not getting ANY messages or notifications in the console and [2nd], the problem does NOT only occur with FLAC files but now also with usual MP3s.

I'm using Windows Vista, 32-bit. Trying to un- and reinstall foobar did not match any results. I'm using foo_audioscrobbler as a plugin, and that's it. (foobar's installed since maybe one or two weeks.)

It'd be really, really wonderful if you could help me fix this! In the time between now and the problem being solved, I'm again going to use Winamp :<

Best regards,
mil-6

Max Niemann from Germany

Reply #1
Can we assume you are not accidentally activating 'Stop after Current' now and then?

Reply #2
[quote author=mil-6 link=msg=712252 date=1278007558]I'm using Windows Vista, 32-bit. Trying to un- and reinstall foobar did not match any results.[/quote]Just as a friendly tip, unless you are having larger problems that are corrupting the installed binary files (like malware or immanent HDD failure) this won't really ever do anything.

As for your problem, I don't really know what to tell you since you're not being given an error, other than if it is not something very obvious (Stop after current, reaching the end of a playlist in Default Playback order) it might be helpful for you to run Process Monitor and upload the log of the foobar2000.exe process somewhere.

It might also be helpful for you to paste the content of your console so we can see if you haven't missed anything (which is very possible, especially considering by your own admittance that you're not comfortable with English).
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #3
Can we assume you are not accidentally activating 'Stop after Current' now and then?

It's not stopping after tracks, it's stopping while only some files play.

As for your problem, I don't really know what to tell you since you're not being given an error, other than if it is not something very obvious (Stop after current, reaching the end of a playlist in Default Playback order) it might be helpful for you to run Process Monitor and upload the log of the foobar2000.exe process somewhere.

It might also be helpful for you to paste the content of your console so we can see if you haven't missed anything (which is very possible, especially considering by your own admittance that you're not comfortable with English).

Hello,

No, it is definitely imbossible that there is a error description or ANYTHING in the console. The first message is the standard «Opening track for playback: "C:\...\...\xyz.flac"» one, then it stops (as I wrote in my first post, irregularily) and there is nothing further to be seen in the console (nothing, really nothing).

That process manager... Erm, now WHAT shall I do with that programm? I'm more than confused by 250,000 events - let's just switch to another possible solution: it has to do with the files itself. I read about corrupted FLAC files, is there a possibility to test them if they are [EDIT: and get them non-corrupted...)?

Also, I read that this problem could occur after having tags changed in foobar2k - which I actually did. But editing the Tags again in MP3Tag didn't cause a change.

Thanks for your answers,
-Max

Reply #4
Just to be clear. When you say 'stopping' is the music stopping and you must do something to start again or
is it just stopping [pausing] for a moment and then continuing on it's own.

Reading issues about Flac will not help with files that are not flac.

With the bad tracks:
highlight one
hold shift and right click mouse to reach context menu
Utilities
Verify Integrity.
See what happens.

You can also go to PReferences >Components > Copy

paste here in a /CODEBOX/

terry

terry

Reply #5
Hello and thank you for your reply,

That's right, FLAC issues don't help me with MP3s. Unfortunately, there IS NO "Verify Integrity" and - whyever - atm a track that was stopped before, now isn't. I'm really kinda confused, but maybe it'll work now. I'm going to tell you tomorrow.

Best regards,
-Max

Reply #6
The biggest help will to follow the instructions to copy and paste your component list.

That will let us know what you have within Foobar.

Also is important to know whether you meant [pauses for a moment] vs [stopped]

The verify Integrity is there.

Right click on a track brings up a small context menu.
SHIFT right click brings up a larger context menu. Under utilities.

terry

Reply #7
File Integrity Verifier is an additional component.
How to use Process Monitor is described in [a href='index.php?showtopic=67779']this sticky[/a].
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #8
Hello,

It STOPs (or stopped, it's absolutely irregularily - atm, for example, it just plays and plays... -), it does not pause or something like that, pressing Play results in the track being begun at the very start. «No problems found» with Integrity Verifier. - Process Monitor's running in background now, if it stops again in the next few hours, I'll let you know.

(Btw, I hate it when the [dictionary says it's called] demo effect makes it impossible to describle problems clearly. Sorry!!)

-Max

Reply #9
Does it actually STOP, or does it continue playing but no sound is coming out?

I can't think of anything that would cause FB to stop without an error, but driver issues and/or hardware issues and/or interfering other software could cause FB to be quietly silenced.

Reply #10
Does it actually STOP, or does it continue playing but no sound is coming out?
[quote author=mil-6 link=msg=712320 date=1278062800]It STOPs [...] it does not pause or something like that, pressing Play results in the track being begun at the very start.[/quote]

As written above. It really stops, and in the «Playback» menu, Stop is ticked. (As I can remember.)

-Max

Edit: here it goes again. No problem found, process monitor crashed 10 seconds before. Great.
Edit 2: btw:

Code: [Select]
Core (2010-04-29 14:43:38 UTC)
    foobar2000 core 1.0.3
foo_albumlist.dll (2010-04-29 12:35:36 UTC)
    Album List 4.4
foo_audioscrobbler.dll (2010-06-04 07:27:04 UTC)
    Audioscrobbler 1.4.7
foo_cdda.dll (2010-04-29 12:35:30 UTC)
    CD Audio Decoder 3.0
foo_converter.dll (2010-04-29 12:35:08 UTC)
    Converter 1.4.1
foo_dsp_std.dll (2010-04-29 12:35:48 UTC)
    Standard DSP Array 1.0
foo_input_std.dll (2010-04-29 12:35:34 UTC)
    Standard Input Array 1.0
foo_rgscan.dll (2010-04-29 12:35:12 UTC)
    ReplayGain Scanner 2.0.9
foo_ui_std.dll (2010-04-29 12:35:56 UTC)
    Default User Interface 0.9.5
foo_verifier.dll (2009-10-05 09:39:20 UTC)
    File Integrity Verifier 1.1

Edit 3: Logfile here
http://4.ly/cdj

Reply #11
On the IRC network Freenode, there is a channel named #foobar2000-de which is German language.
There's also the main #foobar2000 channel, which might be useful as I'm not sure whether the German one is that active.
Zao shang yong zao nong zao rang zao ren zao.
To, early in the morning, use a chisel to build a bathtub makes impatient people hot-tempered.

Reply #12
Oh, English is quite okay, if it's not a problem for you as those people that have to read the things I'm writing. There's an update in my last post.

-Max

Edit: is it possible to write a plugin that deactivates the possibility to stop tracks? I'm only using Pause, so I really don't need it, and perhaps that would solve the problem...

Reply #13
[quote author=mil-6 link=msg=712327 date=1278069073]Edit: is it possible to write a plugin that deactivates the possibility to stop tracks? I'm only using Pause, so I really don't need it, and perhaps that would solve the problem...[/quote]

Occuring again, sometimes more, sometimes less. Yes, only happens with FB2k and I could just switch to another mediaplayer. But foobar2000 is my favourite one now and it’s so annoying that it just stops playing randomly ...

Regards,
mil-6

Reply #14
Try this component, it will log to console what caused the playback to stop.

Maybe some software or hardware sends a keypress of the "stop" multimedia key randomly - we have seen a case of someone with broken keyboard, pushing the "next track" button when clicking the mouse in other applications. You can try leaving this application running in the background, it will log events generated by those special keys.

Reply #15
’Stopping playback - requested by user.‘, says the Console,

[29122421] HSHELL_APPCOMMAND: cmd = 13, uDevice = 0x0000, dwKeys = 0x0001
[29133265] HSHELL_APPCOMMAND: cmd = 13, uDevice = 0x0000, dwKeys = 0x0000
[29137203] WM_APPCOMMAND: cmd = 13, uDevice = 0x0000, dwKeys = 0x0000
[29147500] HSHELL_APPCOMMAND: cmd = 13, uDevice = 0x0000, dwKeys = 0x0008

This says AppCommand Tester.

Well, after using my multimedia keys on my G11 Logitech keyboard (which I didn’t do for ages), it seems they’re used by foobar... I always had problems with the ‘Next Track’ button, which had been skipping tracks till none were left, but then I disabled their function in my previous media player. If this is the problem’s solution (what I think), then how to turn off those multimedia keys?

Regards, Max

/Edit: so now I’ve disabled a service that made the multimedia key usage possible, maybe the journey’s over now. I hope so.

Reply #16
Indeed, command 13 is APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_STOP.

Do you run any controlling software by Logitech for the keyboard? If yes, it might be possible to disable the key there (or reassign it to do something harmless).

fb2k doesn't have a switch to disable the multimedia keys. As a workaround, you might try to assign the "Stop (MM)" key as a shortcut under "Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts" to something else, with the "
  • Global" checkbox enabled. If that works, select some harmless command there.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019