Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC and Vorbis (Read 6745 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC and Vorbis

Can someone provide me a link to the vorbis DLL encoder that I can use with the new EAC? The one I use with Audiograbber (Vorbis.dll altered to use Quality selection and circumvent a CDex bug - compiled with ICL for speed - 187Kb - RC3) which i found on this page: http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/ doesn't appear in the list of compressors in EACs options when I put the DLL in the EAC directory.

Thanks

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #1
EAC doesn't work with the various DLLs. It works with the CLI (command line) versions, so you will need to use oggenc. You can get the ICL fast compile at the same place that you got the DLL. You will need to configure EAC to use the "User defined encoder". The command line, assuming you are using the quality settings, will look like; -q 5.25 %s -o %d, where 5.25 is the quality setting, %s is substituted with the input filename and -o %d becomes the output file.

john33

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #2
Acctualy you can use the "Ogg Vorbis Encoder" option in "Compression options"/"External Compression" in the new EAC (0.9 b1).
But if you whant to use Vorbis taggs you have to the use "User Defined Encoder" and use "Additional command line options" you can look in the EAC faq http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac11.html how to sned atrist and so on to oggenc. I have tested with a line like this: -q 6 -d %y -N %n -t "%t" -a "%a" -l "%g" %s -o %d

Best Regards

Fredrik

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #3
Originally posted by Ljudligtvattensex
I have tested with a line like this: -q 6 -d %y -N %n -t "%t" -a "%a" -l "%g" %s -o %d

Does that work when there's spaces in the filenames generated by %s and %d?  It doesn't seem to work on my system.

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #4
EAC renames the files prior to encoding to an 8.3 (or 6.3 actually I think, but nevertheless) no-spaces filename, so it shouldn't be causing any problems with filenames.

I personally put quotes around even the %y and %n, just to be on the safe side.
Also, I haven't had any luck putting the genre into the commandline string.

gnoshi
happiness comes in brown paper bags.

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #5
You can put the gerne into the commandline string by adding -G "%m" .
Blubb

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #6
wacky... when I did that I just got a blank where the genre should be.

gnoshi
happiness comes in brown paper bags.

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #7
Originally posted by gnoshi
EAC renames the files prior to encoding to an 8.3 (or 6.3 actually I think, but nevertheless) no-spaces filename, so it shouldn't be causing any problems with filenames.

I've noticed that it renames the file that's being encoded to a temp name, but if the path has any spaces in it, force-quoting the name doesn't seem to work.

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #8
I've tried using this command with EAC to tag my files: -q 5.5 -d %y -N %n -t "%t" -a "%a" -l "%g".... instead of sending the proper info, EAC just sends %y, %n, etc.  Any ideas which settings might be wrong?

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #9
I've tried using this command with EAC to tag my files: -q 5.5 -d %y -N %n -t "%t" -a "%a" -l "%g".... instead of sending the proper info, EAC just sends %y, %n, etc.  Any ideas which settings might be wrong?

Try upgrading to the latest version of EAC.  I was using the prebeta 11 and it wasn't using the tags correctly.

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #10
I am using .9 beta 1 which is why I'm kind of stumped as to why its not working.  I've even deleted the reg entries and reinstalled EAC a couple of times.  Still it only sends out %'s

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #11
FWIW, I too am using EAC .9, and it only sends out the '%'s, instead of the actual tags.

Boy, I sure would like this to work...

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #12
Originally posted by krsna77
FWIW, I too am using EAC .9, and it only sends out the '%'s, instead of the actual tags.

Boy, I sure would like this to work...

Make sure you've selected "User Defined Encoder", otherwise it won't work. (And if you've done that already, I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions...)

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #13
 Always thought user defined ment choose something from the drop down... of course if I actually looked at the bottom of the drop down list....

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #14
Make sure you've selected "User Defined Encoder", otherwise it won't work. (And if you've done that already, I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions...)

Ah. That did it. I guess it pays to read before I post. :)

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #15
is there a reason why the vorbis dll doesn't work with EAC?

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #16
because Andre hasn't implemented it 

But why would someone use this dll when there are commandline encoders around, which are already supported ?

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #17
Originally posted by Benjamin Lebsanft
But why would someone use this dll when there are commandline encoders around, which are already supported ?

-On the fly encoding (No .wav temp file)
-Easier to set-up

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #18
uhmm, set parameter passing scheme and you are fine. Not too complicated i think

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #19
Originally posted by Benjamin Lebsanft
uhmm, set parameter passing scheme and you are fine. Not too complicated i think
Well yes, but still doesn't support on-the-fly encoding, as either a .dll or codec setup would - you have to first rip to WAV, then encode with external compressor.

Of course this probably doesn't make a huge difference for ripping CDs, as anyone ripping Oggs is likely to have enough space for one temp wav file.  It'd be more useful for streaming and realtime stuff, and those sorts of things would presumably support the dll.

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #20
I think that Andre answered the question about why no .dll support: it wouldn't work well with EAC's error correction and variable reading speed functions.  And those are the standout reasons to have EAC, imho.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #21
Originally posted by timcupery
I think that Andre answered the question about why no .dll support: it wouldn't work well with EAC's error correction and variable reading speed functions.  And those are the standout reasons to have EAC, imho.

How does the LAME dll manage it? Is there not a way to make a vorbis dll that works the same way as the LAME one?

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #22
I would suspect that the vorbis.dll wasn't considered sufficiently stable to make it worthwhile doing the work to integrate it. It probably has a sufficiently stable interface now to make it worth considering. I would think that the vorbis.dll would be quite capable of working with EAC. All a bit academic though unless Andre decides to add it!!

john33

EAC and Vorbis

Reply #23
I hope he does