Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Absolute best program for burning audio CDs (Read 14813 times) previous topic - next topic

Absolute best program for burning audio CDs

Reply #25
As much as I love (and use) BAO, I do find it a little cumbersome.

Hi, the main intention of burnatonce is to offer power and speed in a small package.  As the developer I admit I may be biased but to hear the interface described as cumbersome is worrying since it goes against the aim of the interface.

If you could please highlight the areas of concern I will try to make the necessary improvments. 

Jamie

Reply #26
Checking the cd-text box in burnatonce's main window only tells burnatonce your writer is able write cd-text with the generic-mmc driver - you still have to give it some cd-text to write, either by using the mp3 or vorbis tags, freedb, filename conversion or by typing them in manually. 

Thanks for the info on cdtext and the aspi business. Other text supporting burners
I have used pick up the track name automatically from the file name.  I will poke
around to figure it out.

Reply #27
is there any program except EAC that can handle the noncompliant cue sheet EAC produces correctly?
is use the noncompliant cue sheet generation but EAC seems the only program that can burn them...

As minix already said, Burrrn fully supports the noncompliant cue sheets. Version 1.03 is now available at
http://www.apehaus.com/burrrn/

Reply #28
DonP: Thanks for the info on cdtext and the aspi business. Other text supporting burners I have used pick up the track name automatically from the file name.  I will poke around to figure it out.

No problem, burnatonce can import the cdtext from the filename but it is not automatic.  Firstly, the preferred source for cd-text info would/should be freedb or tags.  Secondly, most filenames contain information other than the title - such as track number to name a very common one. 

Oh, and as I mentioned earlier - burnatonce 0.97 will support importing and editing of toc and cue files (even the noncompliant ones!)

Jamie

Reply #29
How does PlexTools rank here?

Reply #30
I also vote for Feurio!. It has the best burning core in the business and all the features you need. If one is using exotic audio formats (other than WAV/MP3), then Nero comes to play with it's audio plugins.

Reply #31
Oh, and as I mentioned earlier - burnatonce 0.97 will support importing and editing of toc and cue files (even the noncompliant ones!)

Hey, that's my line! 

Just kidding... 

Reply #32
I also vote for Feurio!. It has the best burning core in the business and all the features you need. If one is using exotic audio formats (other than WAV/MP3), then Nero comes to play with it's audio plugins.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't read all types of tags and create CD-Text from them.

But guess who does... 

Reply #33
If you could please highlight the areas of concern I will try to make the necessary improvments. 

Jamie

Hi, I never meant to disrespect your work. I love your program. But there's one thing that has me pulling my ever-diminishing hair!
I like to make MP3 CDs to listen on my car. I arrange my files in folders. Each folder is an album, and I arrange them chronollogically, say:
Pink Floyd\
  1973 - Dark Side of the Moon\all tracks.mp3
  1975 - Wish You Were Here\all track.mp3
  1977 - Animals\all tracks.mp

If I select Data CD mastering and click "Add folder" and select "Pink Floyd", 8 out of 10 times the albums get arranged BACKWARDS (and the remaining 2 times, they get shuffled!). I find this extremely annoying. One workaround for me (I love to use BAO, nonetheless) is to add them one at a time, but I find cumbersome the fact that you have to reselect your "root directosy" everytime you want to add a new folder, otherwise the folder gets added as a subdirectory of the last one added!
I think Drag & Drop would do it, but I guess you know it doesn't 
Somebody here told me to unselect "rearrange folders" but that doesn't do it either.
BTW, I think this is a common flaw. In EAC if you select several tracks at once to add to a CD compilation, more often than not, they will get shuffled.
I do not know how easy will this be to addess, I apprecciate your disposition to accept suggestions and/or complaints. That's the mark of the great devs.
Thanks
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #34

Hey, that's my line! 

Just kidding... 

Yup, I 'borrowed' it!  ..that's what the wink was for! 

Jamie 

Reply #35
If I select Data CD mastering and click "Add folder" and select "Pink Floyd", 8 out of 10 times the albums get arranged BACKWARDS (and the remaining 2 times, they get shuffled!).

Is this on the written disc or just in the data mastering window?

The folders should always be written to the disc alphabetically regardless of what's displayed in the mastering window - remember this is first release of explorer window type authoring...

Btw, this is probably off topic for this thread - please feel free to continue discussion @ burnatonce.com or in a separate thread.. 

Jamie

Reply #36
I forgot some details about why Feurio has the best burning engine.
The RAM buffer in Nero 5.5 simply doesn't work in Windows98/ME.
This is how Nero 5.5.9.17 manages memory while burning:

http://www14.brinkster.com/testing5/fnero/

It simply keeps using memory until there's no more physical memory free.
So, if something needs memory at that moment, swapping of virtual memory from RAM to hard disk will begin, deteriorating performance. If your computer is slow enough, that may cause a buffer underrun or BurnProof kicking in.
(Nero was configured with a 7MB Ultrabuffer)

This is how a RAM buffer should behave:

In this test Feurio was configured with a 10.6MB RAM buffer, that is locked at the start of burning and released at the end. No swapping will occur until you need more memory than what is free while burning, and the RAM buffer is released at the end.

The worst about Nero is that it behaved properly when Nero 5.0 was released. Some versions later this RAM buffer stopped behaving like it should.

Feurio is the only burning program I know that locks memory this way in Windows 98.
Nero performs correctly in Windows XP (I guess that NT/2K as well).

Version history of Feurio 1.21:
http://www.feurio.com/English/history_1_21.shtml
"Using special arrangements I finally managed to prevent memory from being "swapped" to harddisk even if using Windows 95/98. For this reason the buffer memory of Feurio! is now protected against swapping.
Under Windows 95/98 this means that the Feurio! CD-Writer is running much more stable. Its not that easy any more to cause a "Buffer underrun" when starting some big application."

Nowadays, with faster computers and better operating systems, this is not usually a problem, but with my old first burner I only could avoid coasters with Feurio... (Anyway, in XP with DMA disabled and at 16x speed, Feurio can burn music without BurnProof while Nero can't do it with data).

I don't know if the images appear, so: http://www14.brinkster.com/testing5/fnero/
(The white line shows the physical RAM used, and the yellow the memory "swapped" to disk)