Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Curious question (Read 3378 times) previous topic - next topic

Curious question

Hi!
I'm just wondering.. why would anyone want to encode to the APE. or FLAC. format? I don't get it.. I mean i encode two cds and it's already like more than half of a gig worth of space in "Extra High" Mode.. Don't worry I'm not saying both codecs are terrible just that there's little chance to have a collection of cds with the APE and FLAC because the file sizes are huge.. So I just need a volunteer to answer my question that's it.
Ciao.

Curious question

Reply #1
I can think of two reasons:

- Because you can fit nearly double of songs in same space, while retaining all quality of the files.
- Because of tagging possibilities (also replaygain in case of FLAC).

Curious question

Reply #2
Easy, because you value more knowing that you made NO sacrifice in quality, and you don´t care about spending more money on CDRs, because they are cheap now.

Some people think that in the future, the psychoacoustic sacrifice made by lossy encoders might be noticeable, and prefer to know that they have a full, exact to the original, backup.

It´s just a matter of preference.

Curious question

Reply #3
It's all a matter of preference, archive size and space.

At the moment i have 57 albums ripped on my drive that are a total of 21.6GB thats 378.94MB per album avererage if my maths isn't to shoddy.

I have an 80GB hard drive and my entire CD collection is only a few hundred CD's. With an extra drive i have no need at all to compress to lossy, worry about artifacting, and i get that "Warm Fuzzy Feeling" ™ too.

Just my reasons why. I use FLAC at highest compression because on my PC it's so quick at encoding, i don't mind the extra few seconds it takes!

Cheers,

Kristian

Curious question

Reply #4
I use FLAC as a staging format - I rip to WAV and convert to FLAC straight away.  Then as I start to run out of HD space (gradually working my way through my CD collection) I convert to the latest version of Ogg.  By delaying like this I get the benefit of the music on my HD now, with a later, improved Ogg copy when needed.

Obviously for a format such as mp3, which is progressing more slowly, this benefit would be limited.

Cheers, Paul