Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: quick question (Read 2861 times) previous topic - next topic

quick question

will a wav file encoded to ape have the same bitrate when encoded to wavpack or another lossless format?

i transcoded a few wavpack files to ape (extra high) and i notice that the bitrates are a little lower in ape... is this right?

quick question

Reply #1
Yes, and it's normal. Monkey's audio compresses very well => the bitrate is a bit lower than with most other lossless solutions (most probably you wouldn't need Extra High btw).

quick question

Reply #2
Yes, and it's normal. Monkey's audio compresses very well => the bitrate is a bit lower than with most other lossless solutions (most probably you wouldn't need Extra High btw).

ahhh... good... just wanted to make sure everything was cool...

yeah, extra-high is a bit of overkill... it takes double the time to compress, and decompress...  but right now i'm concerned (slightly) about diskspace... especially in terms of backing my collection up... and i have a computer dedicated solely to storing/playing music...  so the extra cpu time doesn't matter to me...