Skip to main content
Topic: Comparing several bit-depths (Read 2301 times) previous topic - next topic

Comparing several bit-depths

I´m posting three samples for the thread "Would it be possible to record music with 10 bits converters?

The samples were derived from an SACD rip I made a few weeks ago. The SACD was recorded analogue with 24/96 with an ASUS Xonar Essense ST. For this I resampled it with iZotope RX to 44.1, then decreased the bit-depth three times to 8, 12 and 24 bit. The SACD is the recording of Beethovens Symphony No. 9, made by von Karajan in 1962.

[attachment=5825:Symphony...troppo_8.wv]
[attachment=5826:Symphony...roppo_12.wv]
[attachment=5827:Symphony...roppo_24.wv]

To accomplish the bit depth I used iZotopes MBit+ (limiting noise peaks, Noise shaping: ultra, Dithering level: normal)

The 12 bit version is packed inside a 16 bit file. Anything else was impossible. To those of you who are familiar with this recording let me say that you can´t compare it to the version you own because I corrected a strong 10 kHz peak with Algorithmix Orange EQ. The master for the SACD was derived from a 2-channel 24/96 master.
marlene-d.blogspot.com

Reply #1
I´m posting three samples for the thread "Would it be possible to record music with 10 bits converters?

The samples were derived from an SACD rip I made a few weeks ago. The SACD was recorded analogue with 24/96 with an ASUS Xonar Essense ST. For this I resampled it with iZotope RX to 44.1, then decreased the bit-depth three times to 8, 12 and 24 bit. The SACD is the recording of Beethovens Symphony No. 9, made by von Karajan in 1962.

[attachment=5825:Symphony...troppo_8.wv]
[attachment=5826:Symphony...roppo_12.wv]
[attachment=5827:Symphony...roppo_24.wv]

To accomplish the bit depth I used iZotopes MBit+ (limiting noise peaks, Noise shaping: ultra, Dithering level: normal)

The 12 bit version is packed inside a 16 bit file. Anything else was impossible. To those of you who are familiar with this recording let me say that you can´t compare it to the version you own because I corrected a strong 10 kHz peak with Algorithmix Orange EQ. The master for the SACD was derived from a 2-channel 24/96 master.

What do you mean you "SACD" rip? Are you referring to the Redbook Audio layer. I wasn't aware the technology existed to rip SACD.

Reply #2
What do you mean you "SACD" rip? Are you referring to the Redbook Audio layer. I wasn't aware the technology existed to rip SACD.
It doesn´t exist. I played the SACD-layer back with my Pioneer DV-610 and recorded the analogue output with my soundcard. I recorded 23 SACDs that way - very time consuming. I collected SACDs for years - and for my personal enjoyment I recorded them.
marlene-d.blogspot.com

Reply #3
Please take the discussion of these samples to the thread linked.

I'm closing this discussion.  Cavaille, if you wish to add or edit your contributions to this thread for any reason, please send a PM to either myself or someone else on the moderation team.
Is 24-bit/192kHz good enough for your lo-fi vinyl, or do you need 32/384?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019