Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: vorbis codec for WMP use, where? (Read 5146 times) previous topic - next topic

vorbis codec for WMP use, where?

I found a site but it's down. Can someone send it to me or maybe post another link?

I intend to use ogg-vorbis for divx encoding. So I need the directshow filters.

Thanks

Reply #2
I encourage everyone to want to use vorbis, and I have indeed used it in avi. But there are dificulties right now. I am not sure how it is implemented, but the directshow filters are having a bit o trouble keeping synch with normal muxed vorbis streams. You can moddify Nandub with the newer RC3 DLLs out of the Win32 SDK and MUX vorbis that way. It keeps perfect synch. The problem is that it MUXes the whole OGG file vorbis stream included. As Monty put it, it was like putting tupperware inside other tupperware?  The OGG file being a valid container like an AVI. It would be like having an AVI inside another AVI. An AVI loaded with a whole OGG container and included Vorbis stream will play from the start with perfect synch. But this is because when the AVI is loaded the video is passed on as normal and the whole OGG file is passed to Ingo's DS filters. There is no actual index for the audio inside of the AVI it is all in the OGG, so when you seek within the file you loose the audio because there is no index for the AVI to position the audio for. And the filters don't consult the embedded OGG container. It werks in a round about way.

Reply #3
Why not use the ogg container for putting vorbis and video streams together? When there obviously is a big need for the video/vorbis combination, I don't see avi:s as a necessity for keeping to a wide-spread "standard". And to me (note that i am not a programmer) it seems not more difficult making an ogg splitter than making fixes or work-arounds for limitations in the avi format. Am i all wrong?

Emanuel

Reply #4
Ingo if I forgot this in the past Monty reminded me of it a few days back. I was wondering how your DS filters worked in relation to OGG. So it puts a whole OGG container in as well? When using the DS filters we of course get the audio synch problem. But when we use lets say Nandub to mux the OGG in there is no synch problem. There is just a seek problem. And that is what I was reffering to in the last post.

Reply #5
Ingo you can run rings arround me on the technical side of this.  I was just noting a difference I found when playing files from each method. At any rate the technology is not quite finished, but it sure is ready.

Re-writing the avi parser sounds only slightly less dificult than writing a parser and filters for a new format like those OGG streams, or whatever TMF is ultimatly going to be known as. S_O posted about his contact with the author of the OGG stream directshow filters over at powerdivx recently. He said he has already fixed or just fixed the BOS headders to fit to xiph specs. I only wish I could help you guys with the coding, but that is the price you pay being a jack of all trades. You could say I was a master of jack I suppose.

Reply #6
ingo,

one more time, thanks for the brilliant explanation. I dared to copy and paste your description of the VBR audio problem from sourceforge into our board 

Neo, any news regarding Holger's Ogg stream implementation ... got it to work with DivX 4 ? XviD test completed ?

Reply #7
Xvid went off without a hitch. Results are on my page. You might have to wait till you get back from China though.  Any more cheap DVDs today?