Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 Gain problem (Read 4235 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 Gain problem

I am compressing all my wav files in FLAC. I am using Front End to do this and I am implanting replay gain(input treated as album) with it. When I lestion to the flac files in winamp on playback the songs still sound like some are louder than others. Just for the heck of it I used Mp3 Gain to analyze the tracks. The problem is, I keep getting errors that say,
'Error while analyzing: Not enough samples in E:\Waves IB\Lemonheads, The (Come On Feel The Lemonheads) - 11 - Rick James Style .flac to do analysis'.

I have the Mp3 Gain set not to check for Multi layer I or II, so that shouldn't be the problem. Could the Front End not be implanting replay gain correctly or does the problem stem from something else?

Thanks,
                                                                  -Darin
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

MP3 Gain problem

Reply #1
The program MP3Gain only works with MP3 files; it will not work with any other, including .flac.

If you have successfully imparted Replay Gain Album mode to your flac files, then some WILL sound louder than others; that's the way the Album setting works.  If you want all to sound the same loudness, use the Radio setting.

MP3 Gain problem

Reply #2
I heard if you choose album mode it holds the information for the complete album and radio mode, rather than just track by track(radio mode). I will be lestioning to my music files track by  track(radio mode) instead of whole albums. But I would like to keep the album mode information there in case I ever change my mind. Is it ok for me to have them implanted with album mode and then play them back with album mode unchecked(as it is when using winamp)to get the track by track same sound level? Or do I have to encode/implant them with radio mode instead?

Thanks,
                                                                  -Darin
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

MP3 Gain problem

Reply #3
You're right - when scanning, album mode will store both per-track and per-album gain values and peak values. With double CDs, I make it treat both CDs as one album.

You need to choose Radio (Track) or Album (Audiophile) in the player - which for you means the flac plugin for WinAmp (Ctrl-P, Plugins/Input).

Try Radio Gain then Album gain and you'll find out. You can also turn the replaygain off.

Radio Gain is known to sometimes make quiet tracks too loud (like a solo flute track), but this is what it's supposed to do in that mode. If you're shuffle-playing rock/pop singles that's pretty good.

Album Gain is usually more accurate because it's from a wider sample of music and often makes a better guess at "intended" loudness. It really depends what you want. I use Album Gain almost all the time for album listening and shuffle-playing. Sometimes a friend will give me a compilation CD-R with old and new music at very different loudness, so I'll rip it, then apply Radio Gain directly to the audio (e.g. using foobar's diskwriter or wavgain) to even things up before compressing.

Try them both and see what you prefer.

You might also try the foobar2000 player, which can scan for ReplayGain info in any supported format (select all files in your album and right click to get the ReplayGain menu) and Preferences/Playback to choose the ReplayGain mode for playback.