Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_hdmi? (Read 3466 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_hdmi?

Is there a passthrough plugin for dts/ac3/etc for HDMI?

I know there's one for SPDIF: http://www.ga.cba.pl/

foo_hdmi?

Reply #1
HDMI has enough bandwidth to transfer multichannel LPCM, SPDIF doesn't.

There's no need for such a thing.
elevatorladylevitateme

foo_hdmi?

Reply #2
Some people like to decode in their AVRs, not only for sound quality (which I know is a questionable reason at best), but because bitstreaming sets your AVR to the correct number of channels and sampling rate, and can also do stuff that players usually don't like reading embedded DPLII or DDEX flags or such. When your receiver is set to the correct number of channels, it will also give you options for that configuration that, for instance, if it was receiving 7.1 LPCM from Windows, it wouldn't give you.

That said, WASAPI exclusive should work to do the auto channel/sampling rate switch, with ATI 4000 and 5000 cards, but with the other options I'm not so sure. Nvidia's HDMI drivers and devices mostly suck so I'm not sure about that, the same goes for Intel's G35 and G45, but it seems they're trying harder with Clarkdale/Arrandale (new dual-core Core i3 and i5).

I know WASAPI exclusive also works for bitstreaming DTS and DD-encoded .wav files though. If the OP can encode them to 44.1kHz, stereo LPCM easily that could be a workaround.

foo_hdmi?

Reply #4
I can think of a very good reason to have such a thing.  A TV used as a computer display with HDMI input and SPDIF output.  Send Video+Audio (AC3/DTS) to the TV which then sends the audio along to the AVR.  My TV supports this, but I don't need to use it as my MB has direct SPDIF.  It's certainly possible that someone would have a computer with HDMI but without SPDIF and an AVR without HDMI input.

foo_hdmi?

Reply #5
Some people like to decode in their AVRs, not only for sound quality (which I know is a questionable reason at best)

Why is this a questionable reason?

Is it not questionable to say that DD or DTS decoded in the PC and streamed uncompressed to the AVR will have any sound quality difference than the stream being decoded in the AVR? The decoded LPCM is pretty much the same, and it goes through the same DSP and DAC, and amp.

foo_hdmi?

Reply #6
Ah, ok.

I confused "decode" with "DA convert".
The latter is reasonable to do in AVR, as the analog transport is potentially degrading sound
(at least over a 10m RCA cable as I used it)