Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_wave_seekbar (Read 799356 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #2175
As I don't care anymore about XP, and if I got it right, XP compatibility was the main point not pushing the latest test versions to official channel/page, I just installed 0.2.45.4 in the latest foobar2000 1.4.4. A week later, it is rock stable for me again, 24/7 :) .
I remember back then you have fixed some glitches in .4 we had with the "official" 0.2.45 version.
Without this component foobar2000 would have been like having one blind eye :) .

Reply #2176

Screendump explained
The fx are running at the same time in two popup panels; fbuser's component seems ideal when comparing different waveform effects.
For illustrative purposes and as an possible appetizer for others I've activated the time scales as well as the time axis in the upper panel.
The tick sizes have been increased as well for the same reason.

Hello! It looks very cool! Could you share the code? All links from Just_Addict are no longer available ...

Reply #2177
In general, this idea came to me only because the panels (Waveform Seekbar and Waveform Minibar (mod)) look "empty" during playback of a stream, and I don't like it, so I suggested. No practical good from this I didn't think to get, only for fb2k design

Sergey77 I agree with you that it would be nice to be able to have a "placeholder" image appear for streams instead of empty blank, as "nature abhors a vacuum".  Another player with a seekable spectrogram that of course doesn't work for streams has the option to display a user-selectable fixed image there for streams, much easier on the eyes than a blank  :)

Reply #2178
Empty UI elements suck but these components are waveform seekbars, not spectrogram visualizers. If I used streaming audio more than to quickly test something, I'd probably be more willing to hack together something.
@sveakul, It's been a year since this quote. And if @Case still did not use streaming audio more than before, we still only have to wait... :)

Reply #2180
Their gists work fine for me, you might be in a region or on an ISP that blocks or is blocked from github.
I mirrored the four files at http://www.acc.umu.se/~zao/foobar2000/foo_wave_seekbar/

Oh! Thank you so much for the quick response and for your work! I meant a little different ... I wrote about another code, how did this look like:

It's from here https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,77490.msg922397.html#msg922397

Reply #2181
@Zao

I am looking for a way to make my Waveform Seekbar bigger, current it only a tiny bit line above the playlist, any idea to achieve this?

Reply #2182
I am looking for a way to make my Waveform Seekbar bigger, current it only a tiny bit line above the playlist, any idea to achieve this?
The seekbar just fills any UI Element you put it in. If you're using the Default UI, you need to enable Layout Editing Mode and then either you can resize the element that you've got the seekbar in or you can cut your entire layout, add an extra horizontal splitter, put your layout in the lower one and the seekbar in the upper (or whatever - endless choices).

If you're using Columns UI there'd be a similar process - I don't really know it.

Reply #2183
The seekbar just fills any UI Element you put it in. If you're using the Default UI, you need to enable Layout Editing Mode and then either you can resize the element that you've got the seekbar in or you can cut your entire layout, add an extra horizontal splitter, put your layout in the lower one and the seekbar in the upper (or whatever - endless choices).

I finally find my problem, as I used toolbar element for the waveform seeker, which size stick with toolbar size and can't  adjustable.

thanks for your guide, this helps me to layout waveform seekbar in UI element after I disable the toolbar one.

Reply #2184
With some themes it seems to be impossible to resize elements. Just has the same issue. Loaded a different theme and replaced an element with the Waveform seekbar and the resizing was possible ....

Reply #2185
Hello I'm using your seekbar component a lot really appreciate the work.

I have two questions ..

1) Where do I get latest ? http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_wave_seekbar or do I use GITHub ?
2) How do I for a new waveform to be created ? The Rescan all waveforms option doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe I am not using it right ? What's the method for forcing new waveforms to be created ? (I do a lot of audio editing and the waveforms in Foobar/seekbar are not updated after I edit. In fact they will never update until I change the file path).

Thanks

Reply #2186
@studio13
1) That's a tricky question. The latest version uploaded to the components site is indeed 0.2.45. There's later patch releases available which I've made that may address bugs, but could have problems which have made me not update the "stable" version in the components repository. You can fetch them from URLs like https://www.acc.umu.se/~zao/foo_wave_seekbar-0.2.45.6.fb2k-component
There's patch versions 1, 2, 3, 4, 6. Don't ask about .5  :))

While you technically could compile one yourself with the source code, not even I have an environment handy that is capable of building with all the custom dependencies and weird toolchains that it requires, unless one of the build VMs have survived.

2) There's an option in advanced preferences to "Always rescan track if requested by user" which defaults to off. If that's enabled the component should honor explicit requests to scan waveforms. This seems to be broken in 0.2.45.6, so try 0.2.45.4 maybe or checking the option in the released version.

This "foo_wave_seekbar" component is pretty dead, can't change much about it without breaking it for legacy users, all new effort went into a lighter rewrite called "foo_wave_minibar" which @Case now maintains as a mod version with popular user-requested features.

You may want to give it a try, might be good enough for your use cases: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_wave_minibar_mod
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #2187
2) How do I for a new waveform to be created ? The Rescan all waveforms option doesn't seem to work for me.
Just to further note, rather than doing that, for individual tracks there are two options in right-click track > Utilities menu - 'Extract...' and 'Remove...'

With the option Zao mentioned enabled, I believe 'Extract...' does rescan although there is no visible indication because my waveforms are no different (not edited). The 'Remove...' one certainly works as when clicking play again I can see it rescan.

I'm one of the fanatics who thinks this seekbar looks a lot nicer than the other one. :D

Reply #2189
Waveform Seekbar unfortunately when I listen to DST64 files it takes up a lot of CPU, is there a way to solve this problem?
I really like the Waveform Seekbar.

Reply #2190
There are successive permanent ways to solve it.

1) You can convert your DST64 files to DSD64 files, losing the compression.

or

2) You can recompress your DST64 files to WavPack DSD files, using the WavPack command line compressor. It's not quite as efficient at compression, but it's loads faster at both compression and decompression than DST is. DST barely achieves real time on modern systems by decompressing multiple blocks in parallel threads.

or, the destructive third option

3) You can decompress your DST64 and produce PCM output, which will be even faster to decode. This won't compress nearly as efficiently as just DSD, as DSD to PCM is a lossy process, and you have to downsample, so further loss. Tread with caution.

Reply #2191
There are successive permanent ways to solve it.

1) You can convert your DST64 files to DSD64 files, losing the compression.

or

2) You can recompress your DST64 files to WavPack DSD files, using the WavPack command line compressor. It's not quite as efficient at compression, but it's loads faster at both compression and decompression than DST is. DST barely achieves real time on modern systems by decompressing multiple blocks in parallel threads.

or, the destructive third option

3) You can decompress your DST64 and produce PCM output, which will be even faster to decode. This won't compress nearly as efficiently as just DSD, as DSD to PCM is a lossy process, and you have to downsample, so further loss. Tread with caution.
I thank you for the advice, but I prefer to keep the DST64 as they are, they would be in SACD ISO and I know how to convert them etc., however, I repeat I like to leave them as they are, and in any case also the DSD64 occupies a lot of CPU, only for a few seconds compared to the DST64, then it also depends on the processor, luckily I have a ryzen 7 2700x, but the bottom line is not this, I like the Waveform Seekbar and I believe that unfortunately this problem cannot be solved is it? sin.

Reply #2192
DST64 needs all of the threads of your processor to decode for playback, background decoding will just slow things down even more. The only thing you can do is disable the waveform scanning for DST64 files.

Reply #2193
If your odd archival audio format require all the cores of the system to decode in around realtime, you may want to configure the number of parallel threads for foo_wave_seekbar to one, and maybe consider scanning your tracks offline if you want to prevent interruptions during playback.

You could also as kode says go and transform it losslessly to a format more suitable for realtime use, but I'm not touching that discussion with a ten foot pole.
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #2194
DST64 needs all of the threads of your processor to decode for playback, background decoding will just slow things down even more. The only thing you can do is disable the waveform scanning for DST64 files.
I don't know how to disable in DST64 and then I no longer see the waveform in DST64?

Reply #2195
If your odd archival audio format require all the cores of the system to decode in around realtime, you may want to configure the number of parallel threads for foo_wave_seekbar to one, and maybe consider scanning your tracks offline if you want to prevent interruptions during playback.

You could also as kode says go and transform it losslessly to a format more suitable for realtime use, but I'm not touching that discussion with a ten foot pole.
better explain why I'm Italian and I don't understand English well, I use a translator, can you explain exactly how to do it?

Reply #2196
maybe consider scanning your tracks offline if you want to prevent interruptions during playback.
better explain why I'm Italian and I don't understand English well, I use a translator, can you explain exactly how to do it?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if it's just high CPU whenever it's calculating the waveform, you could do it ahead by highlighting the tracks, right-clicking and selecting "Extract Seekbar Signature" under Utilities.

The waveforms will be cached once they've been extracted and your CPU can be used to decode the audio instead.

Reply #2197
frogworth , yes, I did as you say, but first, to scan all the tracks, always put the CPU under strain

Reply #2198
frogworth , yes, I did as you say, but first, to scan all the tracks, always put the CPU under strain

As was already explained to you, the decoding of DTS64 inherently will put a big load on your CPU, whether that is to _play_ those files, or to _analyze_ them to extract the Seekbar signatures.

So you will never, ever escape that conundrum... the upside is, once you have done this "Extract Seekbar..." once, it will not need to be done again and when playing those files, your CPU will not suffer extra load from other things than from decoding the file for output.

Sometimes I don't understand people, they spend bucketloads of money on powerful CPU's but when that power actually gets used, they complain that it is using too much CPU power, go figure...

Reply #2199
Also, I don't know the point of keeping SA-CD ISOs. The only thing likely to play them ever again is either software on a computer, or burned, a modded PS3, the same thing used to extract the originals.

You can keep your ISOs for archival purposes, but I really would recommend using WavPack to store the individual tracks for playback purposes. The bonus is, you can even edit the tags easily.