Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The war has begun! (Read 35970 times) previous topic - next topic

The war has begun!

Reply #300
Down to bomb for it. You gotta ruin the country first, so they will be busy recovering it before they'll question price and value of brought changes.

Interesting question: What is Russia's responsibility in Baghdad's civilian casualties, if (like it has been said today) it will be proven that Russian companies have been selling GPS jammers (and weapons) to Iraqis which use those in Baghdad.

Lemme quote your words:
It's funny to read these opinions, that just because USA was at some point supporting (there are many levels of support) Iraq or even Osama bin Laden, that somehow USA itself is responsible about everything what Saddam or Osama have done. This is very naive and way too simplistic thinking imo.

First lets wait for prooves it's not FUD. It's not the first attempt. BTW, if anyone cares, views from opposite camp:
http://www.gazeta.ru/print/2003/03/24/USbl...lamescomb.shtml
http://www.translate.ru/url/tran_url.asp?l...1&psubmit2.y=11
http://www.translate.ru/url/tran_url.asp?l...0&psubmit2.y=10

Secondly are defencive means causing civilian casualties or missiles they are used against?
It would be naive to think they won't defend themselves by all the means they can use.

Needless to say, Tomahawks and other satellite guided weapons may considerably miss their military targets in Baghdad and hit civilian homes.

Anyway, I meant not accidental but intentional moves and not civilian casualties but ruining infrastructure, industry and so on.

Besides, as for now coallition seems to be concentrated on advancing into Iraq territory, leaving large cities rear. To avoid street battles afterwards they will need ehhm... siege them.

It may become guerilla war (according to some tv reports I saw), rather than Saddam removement operation. So they'll have some difficulties in making it as clean as possible in this case.

I don't doubt that USA wouldn't try to hit as precicely to military targets as possible, because hitting civilian targets will only give them lots of negative publicity.

Agree. I doubt only that CNN will concentrate its audience' attention on such issues, which will dramatically reduce amount of such publicity, IMO. At least for electorate.

The war has begun!

Reply #301
And what never *ceases* to surprise me is that you and everyone else feel fit to criticize everything but not do anything about it.

Thank you for taking the trouble to correct my vocabulary problem. I confess that my english aren't that great, contrary to my greek. We can speak the latter any time you wish.

Saddam had sanctions and resolutions against him that were endorsed by your people. He violated them.

We've heard that before countless times. U.N. was doing something actually...he sent there inspectors in order to check the armory of Saddam, find any weapons of mass destruction (if there were any), destroy it and disarm him...plain and simple. The inspectors were very optimistic that the procedure was going well and that they just needed more time (oh yeah!...they had 12 years...I know the answer)...till that time no evidence at all that Saddam was capable of causing global havoc as Bush and Blair (among a few others) were trying to prove.

Even if Saddam violated those resolutions as you say, nobody "elected" US (or any other) as the police force of this planet, ordered to exterminate the malicious dictators everywhere. (after all it has been proven that US is also responsible for the dominion of some of them). In case you don't know, there was dictatorship between 1967-1973 in Greece, supported by the US government. And no...none american president tried to "free" us from the regime.

Don't speak about hypocrasy. There is more than enough to go around.

I know that already...but it just never seem enough, does it?

LOL. Would it surprise you to know that for quite some time the Afgani prisoners in Guantanimo had significantly better living conditions than their American jailers? That's right. The prisoners had showers, running water, and better shelter than the Americans who were living in tents without showers or running water and many other niceties afforded the prisoners.

Next thing you'll say is that those prisoners had the luxury of a pool for their spare time and a discoteque filled with babes in bikini. But even if they lacked those, at least they had some showers with (guess what) running water, in order to do something when they hadn't "their eyes blacked out behind no-see goggles and their ears and noses tightly muffled". That "sense deprivation" is a totally necessary procedure in their attempt to "re-humanize" them again 

Oh and those publications who claimed that conditions there violated the Geneva conventions are incapable of proving it. Not because they have not been given ample opportunity.

I think the photographs have been given away from US authorities, if I know well...how would you explain them? Isn't the photographed material enough for you? But let's say that it's not...let's say that since those publications weren't able to prove it, that there haven't been any torturing at all. According to this logic, since UN inspectors didn't find anything to prove the existence of weapons of mass destruction, there just aren't any...you said so 

Everything that article shows has alternate explanations.

I'm sure it does...probably those guards tried to show them what would have happened if Saddam had caught them instead...or how things would be if they were borned "senseless"

Not that you would investigate that or even question what the article puts forth since again it is one of those cut and paste arguments that you see as somehow proving your position. Funny thing is, it does not.

If you say so...who am I to question your judgement?!

I have a question for you. What the hell does this have to do with Iraq and why you believe there should be no war there? Nothing.

I think it does have something to do with it. Firstly it shows that some (if not all) people behind this war are hypocrites as well. Those that try to protect a captive's rights, haven't protected them themselves in a similar situation.

And since I have stopped posting entire articles, try reading this and especially this quote:

Then there's America's most famous "enemy combatant" Taliban Johnny, aka John Walker Lindh. Immediately after being captured in the brutal prison rebellion at Mazar-e-Sharif, the frail American jihadist was interviewed by war zone aficionado Robert Young Pelton (who was staying at Dostum's compound at the time). According to an account in the New Yorker, after asking his Special Forces buddies to wait to "shoot him" until he was done, Pelton interrogated the wounded Lindh under the gun of U.S. military personnel. Later the military stripped him naked, taped him to a gurney and threw him in the back of a transport plane back to the U.S. Pelton's interview ran on CNN and was used to convict Lindh for conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals and to provide material support to a terrorist organization. He is currently serving a 20-year sentence.

"POWs have to be protected against insult and public curiosity" <-- Yeah Right!!!

PS Still around NeoNeko? You do are fond of this thread even if you have left, or haven't you? 

The war has begun!

Reply #302
There is little question that Iraq was importing restricted items and materials including weapons from countries like France, Russia, and China. That's right. America did give Iraq weapons decades ago. But who is giving them weapons and related items today?

Could you please back this up somehow, as I can't find a single news article suggesting this in any reputable news source. And this would seem to be a huge scoop, so I would be surprised if all major news channels failed to report on it. I might have missed it somehow, so please provide a link or two. Perhaps my Google just broke.

There is also no question that if Saddam and Iraq failed to comply with the wishes of the UN that it would mean the end of Saddam's rule in Iraq. That is the consequence the UN gave Iraq.

Is there a part of your post that you're not picking out of thin air? Again, give me some documentation. The only "consequence the UN gave Iraq" I can find in resolution #1441 is this:

13.     Recalls, in that context, that the Council has repeatedly warned Iraq that it will face serious consequences as a result of its continued violations of its obligations;

"Serious consequences" may or may not mean US carpet bombing or the end of Saddam's rule in Iraq, but that is certainly not the US's decision to make.

They gave their word on this and have gone back on it.

They didn't go back on it. The US just decided their support in this matter was unimportant. Maybe if the US had handled things properly with some respect for the channels of international communication they would have gotten their support the first time around.

It may not be new and fresh information. But it was pertinant then and I have little question as to its rellivance today.

And it doesn't bother you one iota that large parts of it are stolen from an old acamedic article, mistakes and all included? Maybe you don't question its relevance, but others do:

“This document is clearly presented to the British public as a product of British intelligence and it is clearly nothing of the kind,” Dan Plesch, a senior research fellow at the Royal United Services Institute, said. “This appears to be obsolete academic analysis dressed up and presented as the best MI6 and our international partners can produce on Saddam.”

What do you define as new? Even if it is years old unless it is older than 12 years or so it is "new". If Iraq had any of this stuff within the last 12 years they were in violation of the UN's wishes. It does not have to be a photo fresh off the sattelite 5 min ago to be new or pertinant.

If it was actually _proof_, this would indeed be true. But is it? Opinions differ. And you have articles like this one which also put it in a bit of a strange light.

As to the proof you never saw..... If it is of a sensitive nature and could greatly influence the outcome of these opperations were they to be public ATM would your government release them if they were in the same position?

No matter how sensitive it is, if the US government says "we have proof, but we're not going to show it to you" I remain sceptical.

I got news for you. The UN is decieved and lied to on a daily basis by it's members let alone the US. And it has never changed anything before. The UN as a general rule does not question these deceptions and lies.

Could you elaborate a bit on this? Which lies do the UN believe on a daily basis? Which lies do they not question? And to say that the UN has never changed anything before is completely asinine, and I believe it shows your lack of perspective.

Whether or not you believe what has been given as Americas official reasons. As a member of a nation that is a member of the UN, you gave your official word that you would do this in light of Iraq's violations. And I guess I have news for you, Iraq is in violation. We can all agree on that. So where are you? Why are you not here to over see things?

Umm, no. Living in a member state of the UN does not equate to "giving your official word" (as opposed to what? Your inofficial word?) to all treaties the UN might sign. As a human being living in a democracy you are actually free to decide for yourself what you agree or disagree with regarding the actions of your leaders. It is even considered a good thing to voice your opinion if you disagree.  And why you're calling on random individuals to "get over there" and oversee a war they do not agree with is beyond me.  Also see my paragraph about #1441 on the nature of what was or was not promised by the UN.

The war has begun!

Reply #303
Interesting question: What is Russia's responsibility in Baghdad's civilian casualties, if (like it has been said today) it will be proven that Russian companies have been selling GPS jammers (and weapons) to Iraqis which use those in Baghdad.

Lemme quote your words:
It's funny to read these opinions, that just because USA was at some point supporting (there are many levels of support) Iraq or even Osama bin Laden, that somehow USA itself is responsible about everything what Saddam or Osama have done. This is very naive and way too simplistic thinking imo.

First lets wait for prooves it's not FUD. It's not the first attempt. BTW, if anyone cares, views from opposite camp:
http://www.gazeta.ru/print/2003/03/24/USbl...lamescomb.shtml
http://www.translate.ru/url/tran_url.asp?l...1&psubmit2.y=11
http://www.translate.ru/url/tran_url.asp?l...0&psubmit2.y=10

I don't know what that quote by me had to do with this. I clearly said that "if proven" and asked "what is Russia's responsibility if proven". I didn't say that Russia has direct responsibility about the civilian casualties, but if it has allowed export, or not controlled Aviakonversia (USA has definitely let Russia know that it must be controlled, because they tested Aviakonversia's devices), imo it has some indirect responsibility. But as I said already earlier, "if proven".
Washington Post's anonymous source said that CIA has verified that signal from Aviakonversia's device was used. Maybe it's FUD, but it's definitely not impossible. Could be that we will never find out. It's very hard to prove, and could be that USA doesn't want to risk their relations with Russia because of this and possible illegal weapon trades.
Ok, this all is so speculative that maybe this whole issue is not worth discussing unless we get more proofs.

Secondly are defencive means causing civilian casualties or missiles they are used against?
It would be naive to think they won't defend themselves by all the means they can use.
Of course Iraqis will use all the means they have. I hope Russian companies haven't provided them these means recently.
Juha Laaksonheimo

The war has begun!

Reply #304
DO YOU BELIEVE THAT THE US ARMY WOULD BE IN IRAQ IF THERE WASN’T OIL?

Iraq would be totally different place if there wasn't oil. Oil is the thing which was able to  make Saddam's Iraq quite powerful country in the middle east (before the '91 Gulf war) and Saddam such a threat. Imo it's not possible to separate Iraq and oil like this, because everything affects everything. Iraq's geographical location beside the other oil countries (Kuwait,Saudi-Arabia,Iran,Qatar) is also a big factor. If Iraq had no oil, but it would otherwise threathen or attack its neighbor oil-states like Kuwait in '91, I think USA and UN would take actions against Iraq. Now we see the ending of the war which started in '91.

One thing is clear though. OPEC will try to keep the oil price steady, Iraq is OPEC member, so USA will not be stealing Iraq's oil.

Thank you for your reply JohnV 

Neo Neko can't answer. In the other hand he have a lot of work, his case is hard to defend. 

Let me ask the question differently, do you think that the US army would be in Iraq if there was no more oil ?

The war has begun!

Reply #305
Quote from: bluewer than blue,Mar 24 2003 - 06:16 PM

Thank you for taking the trouble to correct my vocabulary problem. I confess that my english aren't that great, contrary to my greek. We can speak the latter any time you wish.

Trust me it's no big deal. Don't read more into it than was intended. On the whole you do quite well. Quite a bit better than I would do handling greek.

We've heard that before countless times. U.N. was doing something actually...he sent there inspectors in order to check the armory of Saddam, find any weapons of mass destruction (if there were any), destroy it and disarm him...plain and simple. The inspectors were very optimistic that the procedure was going well and that they just needed more time (oh yeah!...they had 12 years...I know the answer)...till that time no evidence at all that Saddam was capable of causing global havoc as Bush and Blair (among a few others) were trying to prove.

He kicked the UN inspectors out. Is that the action of someone who has nothing to hide? Then he had 12 years to hide whatever it is he may of had to hide. Then you have to ask what it is he has to hide. Apparently it is something he is not supposed to have. Now 12 years later you expect inspectors to go back in and be effective? They know what they are looking for. But they have no idea where to start looking. And even if they did things like mobile stations are not just gonna sit around waiting to be found. Then there are possible sites burried in the desert. "Hello Mr. leader man. Take us to your hidden underground base. We would like to poke around." And then there are sites like the one just uncoverd that were camoflaged to appear as something else. I doubt you could get someone to give you odds of the success of UN inspections after 12 years. The fact that they found those Al sommud missiles was against all odds. A feat I think it would be well neigh impossible to reproduce or better statisticly. I am sure the person responsible for not moving those weapons no longer has any earthly worries.

12 years ago we had a chance. We caught Saddam with his pants down and no chance to hide anything. The UN managed to majorly screw things up though. It was not the UN alone. We should not have waited 12 years. We should have gone back then and there.

In short inspections at this point are "pointless". And are not an option. Even if you delude yourself into thinking that they are working. It is at best a false security.

Even if Saddam violated those resolutions as you say, nobody "elected" US (or any other) as the police force of this planet, ordered to exterminate the malicious dictators everywhere.

We did not wan't to go it alone. But it was clear that the inspections were pointless. Something had to be done. You can only invite the world to contribute to a solution for so long before the braindead yammering that "the inspections will work" prove the futility of the situation. Tell ya what. You count to 12 years and we will run and play go hide the thermo-nucler(not nucular dubbya) warehead. Then you come over and try to find them. Best of luck.

(after all it has been proven that US is also responsible for the dominion of some of them). In case you don't know, there was dictatorship between 1967-1973 in Greece, supported by the US government. And no...none american president tried to "free" us from the regime.

As a grecian especially if you are old enough to remember that then you are well positioned to speak on the subject. So was this dictator into genocide? Did he forcibly go out and conquer neighbors? Was he ammasing weapons from numerous countries internationally and researching to develop weapons of mass destruction. Did he neglect public welfare and instead have the public build monuments and pallaces to and for him? No really I am not being fecetious. I am keenly interested. I am not saying the guy was a saint whoever he was. But would you put him on par with Saddam? We like democracy sure. But there is no reason to topple a government just because it is a dictatorship. There can be such things as benevolent dictatorship. And even dictatorships that are not self destructive can be tollerated.

Next thing you'll say is that those prisoners had the luxury of a pool for their spare time and a discoteque filled with babes in bikini.

No but neither did the Americans. Guantanimo bay is no hot spot for nightlife.

But even if they lacked those, at least they had some showers with (guess what) running water, in order to do something when they hadn't "their eyes blacked out behind no-see goggles and their ears and noses tightly muffled". That "sense deprivation" is a totally necessary procedure in their attempt to "re-humanize" them again 

Part of the Geneva conventions IIRC is not to humiliate prisoners. Which showing their faces could do.(Like the ruckus with the Iraqi putting the American POWs on public television display) I know you have not given any sort of alternate explanations any creedence. Wouldn't it be possible that their noses and mouths were being covered to protect them from possible diseases US troops might have to which they have no immunity. The converse could also be true. The eye masks could also be explained similarly. I am not saying that they are the only explanations or even that they are the real explanations. But since they are explanations that don't fit your mould for us that they may have not been considdered.

I think the photographs have been given away from US authorities, if I know well...

Some perhaps. But not all. I do believe that what was allowed to be shot was filtered. But if what was in those pictures was so sinister then......

1. Why did the US let them out?
2. If the US was giving them out tell me why God why would they have given those?

I thought the US was striving to be a better more evil opresser. How could we slip up and make such a bone-headed move? Not..........

Isn't the photographed material enough for you?

Photographs are nice and all. I have some nice doctored photographs of supposed naked celebrities perhaps I could intrest you in.

Photographic evidence? Perhaps. But of what??

But let's say that it's not...let's say that since those publications weren't able to prove it, that there haven't been any torturing at all. According to this logic, since UN inspectors didn't find anything to prove the existence of weapons of mass destruction, there just aren't any...you said so 

No actually I did not. But it would prove that we were equals. Nice to see you not thinking you are all superior and the like.

If you say so...who am I to question your judgement?!

I considder you an equal. Hell pretty much anyone falls under that classification for me since we are all human. So perhaps calling you an equal does not mean to much. But it does give you the right to comment. But I will call you on BS from time to time. Just as you would.

I think it does have something to do with it. Firstly it shows that some (if not all) people behind this war are hypocrites as well.

We already covered this. Yes pretty much everyone who is behind the war suffers from hypocracy somewhere. But so do all of those against it.

Those that try to protect a captive's rights, haven't protected them themselves in a similar situation.

And since I have stopped posting entire articles, try reading this and especially this quote:

Then there's America's most famous "enemy combatant" Taliban Johnny, aka John Walker Lindh. Immediately after being captured in the brutal prison rebellion at Mazar-e-Sharif, the frail American jihadist was interviewed by war zone aficionado Robert Young Pelton (who was staying at Dostum's compound at the time). According to an account in the New Yorker, after asking his Special Forces buddies to wait to "shoot him" until he was done, Pelton interrogated the wounded Lindh under the gun of U.S. military personnel. Later the military stripped him naked, taped him to a gurney and threw him in the back of a transport plane back to the U.S. Pelton's interview ran on CNN and was used to convict Lindh for conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals and to provide material support to a terrorist organization. He is currently serving a 20-year sentence.

"POWs have to be protected against insult and public curiosity" <-- Yeah Right!!!

Dude! ROTFLMAO!!! That is kinda funny. He was an enemy combatant sure. But the thing to keep in mind was that he is also a US citizen. Now if they had done that to an Afgani taliban combattant then you would have something. What we might want to be more concerned about is why he got off so light for doing the same thing with a little treason on top.

The war has begun!

Reply #306
...decent treatment is only for those who handle in its terms and deserve it... Murderers and terrorists have no right for decent handling, because they left the decent mankind on their own accord.

I believe Iraq could say the same thing about U.S. soldiers.

IMHO you're definitely and completely wrong... How can you even compare this?! 

The war has begun!

Reply #307
IMHO you're definitely and completely wrong... How can you even compare this?! 

Entering a country for highly questionable reasons and plunging it into a war which has taken quite a bit of civilian casualities and may take much more in the days ahead, is, at the very least, not nice.

I'm not sure if it qualifies as 'murder' or 'terrorism', but the line is not hard, and you shouldn't be surprised if someone thinks the US actions quality for the terms.

The war has begun!

Reply #308
I'm not sure if it qualifies as 'murder' or 'terrorism', but the line is not hard, and you shouldn't be surprised if someone thinks the US actions quality for the terms.

I am not... I know the U.S. and it's troops aren't very popular... I'm just disgusted, because people especially in Western Europe have very quickly forgotten all, what the U.S. did for them since the World War 2 meanwhile we in the Eastern Europe had to live in the similar regime like that, which ends up in Baghdad nowadays...

The war has begun!

Reply #309
Is the entirety of Europe supposed to only cheer to the US in whatever they do for the entire rest of human civilization?

It's a rather ludicrous assumption.

Maybe some remember WWII very well, especially how it is to be at war.

The war has begun!

Reply #310
Is the entirety of Europe supposed to only cheer to the US in whatever they do for the entire rest of human civilization?

It's a rather ludicrous assumption.

Maybe some remember WWII very well, especially how it is to be at war.

Definitely not, but I personally don't believe that the U.S. would start something like this in Iraq just for fun of it... There must be serious reasons we maybe know not about today, but in the long run we would know it.

The war has begun!

Reply #311
... but I personally don't believe that the U.S. would start something like this in Iraq just for fun of it... There must be serious reasons we maybe know not about today, but in the long run we would know it.

I guess you are the last person in the world who don't know yet the reason of this war...

The war has begun!

Reply #312
I guess you are the last person in the world who don't know yet the reason of this war...

I always admired people like you who have no problems and know everything  Maybe you know your future, too...

Remember, many a time things are not so as they seem to be... And what seems to be so clear for everybody in the long run turns out to be quite different... There is always place for surprise. Always expect the unexpected; then you can easier accept the expected...
from TV series Kung Fu with David Carradine

The war has begun!

Reply #313

I always admired people like you who have no problems and know everything  Maybe you know your future, too...

Remember, many a time things are not so as they seem to be... And what seems to be so clear for everybody in the long run turns out to be quite different... There is always place for surprise. Always expect the unexpected; then you can easier accept the expected...
from TV series Kung Fu with David Carradine

I do have a problem, this war, and I don't know how to stop it... so you see I don't pretend that I have no problems and I know everything. But justify a war saying we will see after the reason seems to be quite naive and dangerous.

For example in 1917 after the British army invade Iraq English General Stanley Maude told to the Iraqi population “We are here for your freedom, because you have a tyranny since 26 generation and we don’t accept that”. But the only thing that was important after that was the Oil and the Iraq is still under a tyranny…

In 1991, Iraq was into a huge debt after the war against Iran. Saddam Hussein asked to the US ambassador what would be the reaction of the USA if Iraq will invade Kuwait. The ambassador answered like this: “there is no military agreement between Kuwait and USA, there will be no reaction”…
This information has been disclosed many years after the war. So you’re right, I’m sure we are going to know a lot of things after the war…

Cheers

The war has begun!

Reply #314
I don't know what that quote by me had to do with this.

You find it naive to think USA was in any way responsible for anything Saddam has done by supplying him with weapons/technology/consultants. Then bring up possible/indirect Russia responsibility for doing the same. I see contradiction here.
If it was irrelative, I might get it wrong.

Of course Iraqis will use all the means they have. I hope Russian companies haven't provided them these means recently.

US was justified for doing similar things to prevent their opponents of becoming too powerful.
If mentioned companies did, maybe they're worried of world becoming unipolar to put it in polite way. Or have taken 'plain business, nothing personal' too literally. Although it's too speculative indeed.
Anyway, US has tested devices, knew (?) Iraq got those and no actions taken until failures occured?

Could be that we will never find out. It's very hard to prove, and could be that USA doesn't want to risk their relations with Russia because of this and possible illegal weapon trades.

They already did. In case with Ukraine US never bothered to exonerate.

The war has begun!

Reply #315
... are being imprisoned in Guantanamo have been exposed several times to the media in really inhuman conditions...

Democracy and decent treatment is only for those who handle in its terms and deserve it... Murderers and terrorists have no right for decent handling, because they left the decent mankind on their own accord.

I know bluewer than blue (and others) have already answered, but the right to a fair trail is the most basic human right for EVERYONE.

If people are guilty of crimes, if they are murderers etc etc, then they should be found guilty.

More importantly, if they are not guilty, then they must be tried, and found innocent. It is ridiculous and immoral to keep someone detained without trial - all but the most barbarous and corrupt regimes in the world accept this.

The treatment of POWs by Iraq is horrific and terrible and illegal and sickening. Being shown on TV is the least of their worries. But the tone of the outcry from the USA was pathetic - "you can't show them on TV because it's against the Geneva convention" - there are different phrases for this in every nation in the world. It's the Donkey calling the Rabit "long ears".

The USA has a right to be angry about miss-treatment of POWs, and the POWs themselves are heros. But the USA must stop chastising other countries for breaking international agreements which the USA itself ignores at will. The answer, of course, is not for the USA to stop opposing what other countries are doing wrong, but to put right their own conduct immediately.

Cheers,
David.

The war has begun!

Reply #316

I don't know how the war is being reported in the rest of the world, but in the UK...

For several long stretches each day, the TV schedule has been shifted to put BBC News 24 (a digital only TV channel) out on BBC1 (which every one can receive). It's already been described as a "24 hour TV war".

We have CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, FOX NEWS, and more all covering it and nothing else ATM 24 hours a day. It's not exactly what is being covered that is irksom. But how much and how many times it is being covered.

For all the TV pictures, I've found the war correspondants diaries at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/world/...log/default.stm

to be the best reporting for communicating what's happening, and what it's like to be there.

btw, you mentioned Iraqi TV claiming "hundreds of casualties"...

I realise that UK reporters in Iraq are monitored by the Iraqi government, but I've heard one say that Iraq state television has been "surprisingly honest" about some aspects of the war, including the small number of civilian casualties in the capital, and the rapid progress of the coaliation forces through Iraq.

Cheers,
David.

The war has begun!

Reply #317
For those of you who haven't seen it yet, have a look at Where is Raed?, supposedly a weblog from Baghdad. Difficult to say whether or not this is genuine, but at least some people seem to have reasons to believe it is.

The war has begun!

Reply #318
garf > Entering a country for highly questionable reasons

Jesus! Have you and the other negative commentators taken the time to look at the links supporting this US move? If they seem biased (or like US propaganda) then please let me know. Why does it need to be pounded into so many heads here about the intrinsic evil of Saddam and his group, and the reasons his elimination is necessary. The US, Britain, and even Australia are doing the world a favor at great sacrifice, and all I see here is bullshit ramblings from the un-enlightened.

Here's the link to a very well written summary of Iraq/Saddam again...

http://www.mideastweb.org/iraq.htm

Please point out any inaccuracies & propaganda

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

The war has begun!

Reply #319
Jesus! Have you and the other negative commentators taken the time to look at the links supporting this US move?[...] and all I see here is bullshit ramblings from the un-enlightened.

The page looks faily accurate. It does nothing to convince me, and your message does not lead me to believe there is any sense in us discussing this.

The war has begun!

Reply #320
You find it naive to think USA was in any way responsible for anything Saddam has done by supplying him with weapons/technology/consultants. Then bring up possible/indirect Russia responsibility for doing the same. I see contradiction here.
If it was irrelative, I might get it wrong.

Heh, first of all, the vast majority of weapons, military technology and consultants Iraqis have had are from Russia, this is no secret at all. Just look what kind of weapons their army is using.

Even regardless of that, it would be a bit different to provide military technology to a country which has been under UN import/export restrictions for 12 years.......

Besides, imo Russia is in no position to judge USA, considering what murdering/raping/killing of civilians have happened in Tsetsenia during many years. Russian army has "cleaned" complete villages. The civilian casualties killed in Iraq are very small compared to that.. But because USA has wanted to improve its relationship with Russia, it has not done much anything to condemn it.
Juha Laaksonheimo

The war has begun!

Reply #321
I will reproduce here an opinion from Luis Fernando Verissimo (a well-known Brazilian writer), that appeared in Zero Hora (a local Brazilian newspaper) on March 2, 2003. I'm not posting the link because the archives on the web site are only a week long. The text is in Portuguese, so I will try to translate it the best I can. English is not my native language, so there will be certainly grammar and spelling errors. Feel free to point them out and I'll edit this post.

(Note: Luis Fernando Verissimo lived 2 years in New York and publicity states his love for the city. On his vacations he always returns there. He's not an U.S. hater.)

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']
Nomes de respeito

O documento de 12 mil páginas sobre suas armas que o Iraque forneceu às Nações Unidas no ano passado foi censurado antes de ser distribuído, a pedido dos Estados Unidos, segundo o jornal alemão Tageszeitung (saúde!), citado pelo jornalista Alexander Cockburn, que é provavelmente o último stalinista vivo mas um bom catador de hipocrisias. Cortados do documento: os nomes de todas as empresas, americanas, britânicas e alemãs na sua maioria, que venderam tecnologia de guerra nuclear, química e biológica ao Iraque antes de 1991, encorajadas pelos respectivos governos, apesar das proibições em tratados da época. Nomes de respeito como Honeywell, Rockwell, Hewlett Packard, DuPont, Eastman Kodak, Bechtel. Saddam Hussein foi apoiado e armado pelos americanos quando era a alternativa secular preferível à teocracia hostil do Irã e Donald Rumsfeld o admirava, embora ele não fosse melhor caráter do que é hoje.

As empresas que armaram ilegalmente o Iraque tiveram seus nomes apagados do registro. (Grandes empresas costumam ter sucesso em manter seus nomes fora dos prontuários. Há bons exemplos disso aqui na república da impunidade e da corrupção sem corruptores. Tente encontrar uma relação dos empresários que financiaram a Operação Bandeirantes de caça clandestina aos subversivos em São Paulo, durante a ditadura militar, por exemplo. Sem intenção de mexer desnecessariamente no lodo do passado, apenas como curiosidade. Ou uma lista das grandes empresas que se submeteram ao achaque semi-oficializado do P.C. Farias, durante o governo Collor, e também continuaram com nomes respeitáveis.) O governo americano já está escolhendo as companhias que vão reconstruir o Iraque depois da esperada devastação na guerra que começa. A maioria das favoritas na licitação, para um trabalho que custará estimados US$ 20 bilhões por ano por vários anos, é de amigas da Casa Branca, ou você esperava que escolhessem alguma francesa? Exemplo, conforme um artigo recente no Salon: a Kellogg Brown & Root, que pertence à Halliburton, que já foi dirigida pelo vice-presidente Dick Cheney, e que já lucrou bastante com o terror, construindo o campo de internamento de prisioneiros em Guantanamo, entre outras coisas. E a ubíqua Bechtel, uma firma de engenharia com sede na Califórnia cuja influência na política e na história americanas, desproporcional ao seu cuidadoso perfil baixo, vem de longe, e já alimentou várias teses conspiratórias sobre poder secreto. Esperando a vez de pegar, literalmente, as sobras depois que o complexo-industrial militar faturar o seu com a guerra está o complexo reconstrutor-militar americano, que confia em bastante destruição para não lhe faltar trabalho e lucro. Mas são todos nomes de respeito.
[/span]

Names of respect

The 12,000 page document Iraq gave to U.N. last year about his weapons was censored before it has been widely distributed, by request of the U.S., according to the German newspaper Tageszeitung, cited by the journalist Alexander Cockburn, probably the last live stalinist but a good hypocrisy catcher. Cut from the document: the names of all enterprises -- Americans, British and German in its majority -- that sold nuclear, chemical and biological warfare technology to Iraq before 1991, encouraged by its respective governments, despite all the prohibitions from treaties of that time. Names of respect like Honeywell, Rockwell, Hewlett Packard, DuPont, Eastman Kodak, Bechtel. Saddam Hussein was supported and armed by the Americans when it was a preferred alternative to the hostile "teocracia" [Couldn't translate that, the meaning is like "fundamentalism"] of Iran and Donald Rumsfeld admired him, even if he [Saddam] was no better than he is today.

The enterprises that illegally armed Iraq had their names removed from the record. (Big enterprises usually have success in keeping its names outside reports. There is good examples here in the republic of impunity and corruption without corrupters. [Talks about big Brazilian scandals outside the scope of this discussion]) The American government is already choosing the companies that will rebuild Iraq after the long-awaited devastation in this war that begins. The majority of the favourite to win the the "invitation to bid" [I don't know if it's the right translation for "licitação": the process the government does to hire service from private companies], to a work estimated to cost US$ 20 billion a year for many years, is composed by friends of the White House, or do you expect that a French one would be chosen? An example, according a recent article at Salon: Kellog Brown & Root, that belongs to Halliburton, was once lead by vice-president Dick Cheney, and already had huge profits with the terror, by building the Guantanamo prison, among other things. And the ubiquitous Bechtel, an engineering firm from California whose influence in the American politics and history exists since a long time ago, desproportional to its carefully low profile, feeds various conspiracy theories about secret power. And waiting to catch, literally, the remains after the industrial/militar compound gets what it wants with the war is the American rebuilding/militar compound, that trusts in enough destruction to not let fall short of work and profits. But they are all names of respect.

The war has begun!

Reply #322
Cut from the document: the names of all enterprises -- Americans, British and German in its majority -- that sold nuclear, chemical and biological warfare technology to Iraq before 1991, encouraged by its respective governments, despite all the prohibitions from treaties of that time. Names of respect like Honeywell, Rockwell, Hewlett Packard, DuPont, Eastman Kodak, Bechtel.

I'd guess this is probably at least partly true, but until we have some real proofs what really was sold, how much and by who, it's just another hinting document.
And I wonder why this paper only mentions western countries... 
Juha Laaksonheimo

The war has begun!

Reply #323

This "War on Iraq is only because of oil and nothing else" has become such a mantra and easy answer that it needs some criticism.

BBC has various essays on the war and one of them is "the war is not about "blood for oil" " by oil expert Jerry Taylor from the right-of-centre Cato Institute in Washington.
It's located here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/midd.../transcript.stm

Here's the  BBC essays page:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2861721.stm

Personally i think this war is not about oil, it's about security; Saddam is not a serious threat now, but he can be (and probably will be) threat to US in the future unless stopped.

This is what Colin Powell and others were saying on World Economic Forum meeting at Davos on last january. Here's a email about davos meeting from Pulizer winner and science journalist Laurie Garrett for her friends which spilled on internet. Very, very, very interesting reading about state of the world.

The best part regarding the war on Iraq:
I learned from American security and military speakers that, "We need to attack Iraq not to punish it for what it might have, but preemptively, as part of a global war. Iraq is just one piece of a campaign that will last years, taking out states, cleansing the planet."

( This email is confirmed to be real. You can read analysis about it and the spill from here:
http://research.yale.edu/lawmeme/modules.p...article&sid=938 )

Add to that thought of possibility to start democratizing process of Middle East by starting from Iraq after Saddam and his regime is removed, then this becomes really interesting.. I recommend links posted by Secret Chief on page five (Thanks Chief! Excellent info.  ), earlier posted Mideastweb.org Iraq-page and also other pages on http://www.mideastweb.org .

There are likely other reasons for this war too, but security is IMHO most important.

The war has begun!

Reply #324
I do agree that this war is not about oil only. There are various reasons behind it which have been discussed thoroughly in previous pasts.

However since you bring forward again the issue of pre-emption I have to re-state this: there are tens of "dangerous" people out there who have power, dictators, madmen, nuclear & chemical weapon holders, arrogant fools who think they own the planet etc...I think most agree on that. What we probably won't agree with ever is who exactly are those, since these kind of things are quite subjective, thanks to propaganda and personal interestes as well. For instance...U.N. wasn't really convinced that Saddam was any big threat for the planet at the moment, so there was no reason to deal with him via this war. A minority of U.N. though thought differently. o what's gonna happen if another minority tommorow (or just one powerful country alone) decides to strike another country because they think its leadership is a threat to their interests or security?

Bush is "dangerous" for me at least. He is not in the same vein with Saddam, but that doesn't make him any less "dangerous" for the global peace.

And hey, even "Minority Report" managed to prove the risk behind pre-emptive wars and let's not forget that those at least had some faultless psychics...   

Iraq is just one piece of a campaign that will last years, taking out states, cleansing the planet

If that's the case and I personally I think that this is exactly Bush's intentions, I'm extremely worried. I don't trust Bush...heck I don't trust one nation alone or a few either...so how am I supposed to feel that people that nobody ever chose them to play this role and only a small portion of the planet trusts them are about to "clean" the latter? And who is gonna stop them if things go beyond control (if they haven't already)? What makes their judgement more accurate than that of other nations who oppose to their actions? And who's next...not that it matters much!

Add to that thought of possibility to start democratizing process of Middle East by starting from Iraq after Saddam and his regime is removed, then this becomes really interesting

It was written in another post (if I remember correctly) and I do agree as well. A democracy in Middle East will most probably end up with the same kind of islamic fundamendalists. It's inevitable. The majority are fanatics anyway. It was proven alone by the fact that the US government was not expecting such counterblast from the Iraqi people, making their plans much more difficult to achieve...instead they thought that the moment they would go in, the people would welcome them as "liberators" and helped them in their attempt...they thought that it would be a piece of cake to invade Iraq and provoke a rebellion against the regime of Saddam. Facts contradicted their expectations!

Let's not forget that there are also those who hate Saddam, but hate US as well. And they are plenty.