Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Visualisation spectrum question (Read 2035 times) previous topic - next topic

Visualisation spectrum question

Amongst many improvements I’m working on, I’m trying to make the spectrum analyser of foo_logitech_lcd more aesthetically pleasing – as such I’ve been trying to work out the best way to scale the spectrum data foobar provides. (As this post will no doubt show, while I’m well versed on graphics theory and programming, my knowledge of audio theory and programming is pretty poor. )

I’ve tried all sorts of transforms (all logarithmic based) and while some of them work better than I have currently, none of them work particularly well. Ideally I’m looking for some transform that equalises the sizes of the spectrum bars, while providing a large range through which the bars travel. The accuracy (in terms of scale) is not as important I think, but the transform has to work with an arbitrary number of bars.

So, I wondered if anyone has any suggestions or knows of resources I can look up for how to make this look better. My internet searching to date has not given me much to work with – but then I’m probably not using the correct terminology.

I notice that there are 2 spectrum analysers that come natively with foobar (the toolbar one and the windowed one) – both of which do similar to what I would like, but both seem to behave differently (and behave differently to the columns UI panel version too). What transforms are these using?

Finally – as a bit of an aside, what is the relationship of the data as given in the visualisation spectrum array to the actual wave data? I’ve never totally understood the relationship.

Any help appreciated!