Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: (unofficial) play count statistics (Read 2849 times) previous topic - next topic

(unofficial) play count statistics

i tried to research all the documentation i could get about this wonderful component (which any serious user should have) but i couldnt find any solid answer to my questions.  i have a very large database of 100,000+ songs and for me playcount statistics is a very crucial component of foobar because it helps me keep track of which songs i have played, and which ones have never been played.  i have many questions;

1)how do i disable it? for instance, sometimes i want to simply stop the counter from counting stats for a while... this could be when i'm letting friends play with foobar..and i dont want them to modify the stats.  i have tried to disable and uncheck pretty much everything in foobar's preferences and under tools//playback statistics custom...but for some reason, the counter is always active.  is deleting, which i haven't tried, the component's DLL's file the only way to solve this?

2)what's the difference between the  3 available playback statistics settings;

-only tags
-only foo_custominfo database
-tags and foo_custominfo database (if writing tags fails)

3)if i move around my folders (which i rarely do) in different folders or on different hard drives, will it have an impact//reset the statistics? for instance, last month i upgraded to a 2TB drive for my D:
so i transfered all my songs that were on my C: and my old D: to my new D:    i tried to analyze the impact on statistics then...but i wasnt sure of the overall result because in the process of doing so, i renamed, cleaned up and deleted a few  of my files.

4)  Strangely, when i play a never played song, i always get a playcount statistics saying the song has been played twice because "first played" and "last played" are doubled counted even if i only played the song once.

i think we need a definite guide because this is one of the most useful component.

Reply #1
The settings you mentioned indicate that you do not use the official playback statistics component.

If you did, the answers would be as follows:

1) You can toggle it from the library menu.
2) By default, statistics are not stored into the audio files but in a separate configuration file.
There is an option at the advanced preferences to write statistics to the file tags.
3) Statistics are not preserved when you move or rename files outside of foobar2000.
Use the file operations component, or save statistics to the tags.
4) Irrelevant.

Reply #2
3) Statistics are not preserved when you move or rename files outside of foobar2000.
Use the file operations component, or save statistics to the tags.

This is not true. Settings are NOT changed in playback_statistics' file even when using the internal file operations!
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #3
Uh?? That's what Frank wrote! You have to use the file operations (or copy the statistics to the tags) if z
you want to preserve your statistics.

Reply #4
If it should not work, check if you have the latest versions of both components.