Skip to main content
Topic: Avoid flushing playback queue on manual play selection (Read 4020 times) previous topic - next topic

Avoid flushing playback queue on manual play selection

Hello,
I've seen AIMP at my mate's house recently and one very convenient thing I noticed there was:
it queues tracks for playback just as foobar, but when you've got your queue
and then manually 'play' any track, your queue doesn't flush (like in foobar), but stays the same and
queue playback automatically continues after 'custom' track is over.
So is it possible to achieve the same behavior by foobar?

Reply #1
There are a lot of discussions regarding queue and foobar. A search on queue or 'now playing' should bring you an enormous amount of info. You will get much more in depth replies from others. As a quick attempt to help, in Foobar, you don't need to queue tracks to make a 'now playing' list of songs. All playlist are equal.

If you like, call one of them - now playing. Or simply consider whichever playlist is now playing a track as the now playing playlist.

In your case, I would use the Queue for your on occasion 'custom track'. Ctrl + Q on the track sends it to the queue. Foobar will switch to the queued tracks when the current track is complete and will return where once it was when the queue is empty.

If it is disconcerting to not 'see' what you have queued, you can use foo_queuecontents to view the queue as a playlist tab.

Hope this helps.

terry

Reply #2
The usual discussions about the playback queue arise from the circumstance that most people are used to organise their music in playlists rather than use the Media Library Viewers (Facets, ML Search, Album list, ...). When instead playlists are used for what they are intended - a list of items to be played - the playback queue stays free for that "occasional" track that you want to add out of order or as a convenient feature for a seamless transition between different playlists.

Reply #3
Thank you, terry and ojdo, for your answers!
terry, unfortunately search on queue and queue behavior gave me only a lot of discussions, as you said.
I understand that there are a lot of points of view on this topic. But I'd rather find some patches or components to change queue in what i want )
ojdo, I suppose doing things as you described with Media Library is more logical and right, but the thing is
I (and many people as you mentioned) am used to use playlists to organize my music and I'm sort of conservative person.

Let me describe how i roll
I add all new music to default playlist, so I've got newest in the bottom of it.
I like it sorted that way because I can go back in time just scrolling up 
Sometimes I'd like to listen to definite set of tracks, so i skim through playlist and add to queue tracks I'd like to hear.
It takes some time, but that's almost perfect music for me at that specific moment.
You say philosophy of playlists suggests I make a new playlist each time for that, not queue,
but that's much more convenient for me to
1. be able to add track with one button
2. see my main playlist throughout the process
3. when the music's already playing and I see a perfect track for the moment i want to switch to it ASAP,
not losing my queue though, as I spent considerable amount of time making it.

That's it.
Maybe, if there are a lot of discussions on this topic, it would be better to make queue behavior user-defined in preferences?

Reply #4
You say philosophy of playlists suggests I make a new playlist each time for that, not queue,
You can create a playlist for that purpose and reuse it whenever you need it.

1. be able to add track with one button
You can do this for a playlist with foo_utils with more possibilities as for the queue (insert, add, send)

2. see my main playlist throughout the process
Use a playlist switcher and switch back to your main playlist, while playing the other playlist.

3. when the music's already playing and I see a perfect track for the moment i want to switch to it ASAP,
Double click that track and your "queue playlist" stays intact.

Reply #5
You can create a playlist for that purpose and reuse it whenever you need it.

You can do this for a playlist with foo_utils with more possibilities as for the queue (insert, add, send)

Use a playlist switcher and switch back to your main playlist, while playing the other playlist.

I can agree with that.
Double click that track and your "queue playlist" stays intact.

I forgot to mention last but not the least. In your variant i wont automatically get next not played queued track to run since cursor moves to my main playlist.

I agree, I can achieve the goal of having not flushable queue using many methods.
But what I want to achieve is comfort while doing that.
Foobar does have a lot of functions besides playing music and they all pursue the same goal.

Reply #6
I agree, I can achieve the goal of having not flushable queue using many methods.
But what I want to achieve is comfort while doing that.

Users learn software, not the other way around.

It's only "uncomfortable" because you're not used to it yet.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #7
Users learn software, not the other way around.

Oh, I'm idealist, I guess 

On the other hand, software is made for users, isn't it? 
(I understand developers can't satisfy everybody's needs)

Reply #8
On the subject of queues, can anyone make a quick estimate of how much memory foobar would use in the RAM-queue?  I have 4 gig in my system.  I know I can do a search, but this thread seems to be a good place for a quick answer. 

Thanks, Mike.

Reply #9
AFAIk the queue is limited to 64 entries. So the RAM usage of the queue doesn't matter.

Reply #10
The queue is hard-limited to 64 entries. That's why people are suggesting using a supplementary playlist for this purpose (which is technically correct; I'm just not used to dealing that way.)

Reply #11
Okay.  I misunderstood the subject of this thread.  It is about "Avoid flushing playback queue."  I immediately thought that foobar is creating a buffer in RAM into which it is loading the (for example) WAV files that are being queued.  Then foobar would output from the buffer.  But apparently the queue is a list of HD addresses.  There is no buffering of the output files.  So flushing a short address queue is not as wasteful as flushing an output buffer would be. 

Re: Avoid flushing playback queue on manual play selection

Reply #12
This may be an ancient thread, but google chooses this as the top result when you search for 'don't flush queue in foobar 2000' or such.
So I'll add the the solution. There's a plugin for this: Keep Queue

(I for one often start playback accidentally when trying to add to the queue, so that's why it comes handy.)

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019