Skip to main content
Topic: Foobar wont remove duplicates (Read 12857 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar wont remove duplicates

Hello, I keep trying to remove duplicate entries in my playlist but it does not work. I have tried adding everything to the library in order to remove them but it still does not work. I ended up reverting to an older (better lol) foobar but it still isn't working.

Does anyone know what I can do to remove duplicate entires in the playlist?

It might help to know that the duplicate files are duplicate ID tags only. Meaning, the filenames are different but everything is the same when the playlist reads the ID tags. I don't expect this to be the reason, but I guess it could be. If it is, this will really suck because not being able to clear duplicates out of the playlist is a huge drag.

I have too many files to go through manually and delete, and i've added all of my music to one folder, so going through that would be more difficult as seeing most songs start with the tracknumber.

Well, if someone could help me out and steer me in the correct direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Reply #1
It might help to know that the duplicate files are duplicate ID tags only. Meaning, the filenames are different but everything is the same when the playlist reads the ID tags. I don't expect this to be the reason, but I guess it could be.
Indeed, "Remove duplicates" removes only items referencing exactly the same file (and subsong, if relevant)
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
If sometime that feature will be edited it would be nice if there was a text input field with a title formatting string (or something similar) which will be used to identify the duplicates; if the string is the same for two items they are regarded as duplicates by the DuplicateRemoverâ„¢. Of course the default value should be one that would result in the same behaviour as we can see it now (I guess %_path_raw%:%subsong% could be such a default value).

Reply #3
There is convenient method already: link

Reply #4
Thank you for inputing this solution. Although I don't think it will work for my needs, I should have specified more on what I was doing. That only works if the playlist points to the same file. I have 2 to 5 copies of the same album, most without matching filenames. Due to not organizing anything and forgeting I had certain albums on the computer. Then I was copying files around trying to figure out how i want to sort them and ended up having an even bigger proglem lol.

It would all be fine except I don't have time to sort through these files and need a playlist without doubles for a roadtrip. The car has a computer in the trunk so I was going to bring my hard drive. I have 30,000 songs so I don't have time to sort through them like I should.

So, almost all of the albums have accurate tags. The same %artist% %album %playlist% variables. I'm sure there is a way to delete duplicate entries of a playlist which have all three of those variables true. Whether its a foobar plugin or another program. Does anyone know of anything?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019