Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I Need Help With 5.1 Channel Mappings for Audacity (Read 23990 times) previous topic - next topic

I Need Help With 5.1 Channel Mappings for Audacity

Hi, I am a noob when it comes to surround sound and I've already tried searching the net for answers.  I came up empty handed so I figured I would just ask in a forum with audiophiles who might be able to assist me.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

I visited the Elephants Dream website and downloaded FLACs of all 6 channels required for 5.1 sound.  They were individually compressed, which is great but it is causing me a bit of a headache.  I want to turn them into a single 5.1 WAV so that I can convert it to a 5.1 FLAC later.

I downloaded and installed Audacity version 1.3.8 Beta and I dropped all of the individual FLACs into it.  I enabled "Use custom mix" in the preferences of Audacity so that I could export as a multichannel WAV file.

When I got to this screen, I was confused as to exactly which tracks go to which channels.  The FLACs were all named appropriately, but Audacity didn't give me any hint as to which channel they belong.  This is what it looks like:

If someone could tell me exactly which channels belong to what for WAV, it would help me a lot.

Left, Right, Center, Left Surround, Right Surround and LFE.

Thanks in advance,
-Neil

P.S. Can someone point me in the direction of a player that will accurately play 5.1 channel WAV or FLAC files without any behind-the-scenes downmixing into stereo?

Edit: After closer inspection, I realize I can export directly as Flac in Audacity.  That should save me a step later.

Reply #1
The proper order for WAV is Left, Right, Center, LFE, Left Surround, Right Surround.
Any Directshow player can play 6ch WAV files, and with the proper filters 6ch FLAC. Also VLC, foobar and almost any other decent player.

(Left, Right, Center, Left Surround, Right Surround and LFE is AC3 mapping)
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #2

In AC3 that would be L, C, R, LS, RS, LFE actually if multichannel (5.1) is decoded.
Your list is AES/EBU recommendation as far as I remember, and of course the prefered one !

Reply #3

In AC3 that would be L, C, R, LS, RS, LFE actually if multichannel (5.1) is decoded.
Your list is AES/EBU recommendation as far as I remember, and of course the prefered one !

My bad, you're right, it's L-C-R, not L-R-C in AC3, I didn't notice the mistake.
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #4

My bad, you're right, it's L-C-R, not L-R-C in AC3, I didn't notice the mistake.

Thanks, I figured it out.

Check it out: http://www.logichaos.com/joomla/component/...ants-dream.html