Skip to main content
Topic: [request]file explorer ui element (Read 2546 times) previous topic - next topic

[request]file explorer ui element

I know that you can use "add files" or "add directory" commands from main menu - that's what i do and so i have the annoyance that after each adding i have to call the command again and again till i added all i want. For people who often add music/files outside of their library (especially from removable drives and discs) an ui element with all usual possibilties of playlist interaction would be useful.

Edit:

I am thinking of something similar like the "add directory" window but just as ui element

Reply #1
If you want to set your entire computer as monitored, that's entirely possible by using each drive as a watched folder.

Truth be told, foobar already lets you do all those things via drag-and-drop from explorer, or the Album List's "by folder structure" view, or the Add[...] commands in the File menu.

I realize that's of course not exactly what you are asking for, but I don't see what is gained in duplicating already existing functionality, other than it looks different.

As such, I'm moving your request to the third-party forum, given that requests like these are usually picked up by third-parties.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
I realize that's of course not exactly[u/] what you are asking for, but I at don't see what is gained in duplicating already existing functionality, other than it looks different.

I wouldn't say that it is just duplicating already existing functionality. Here some points:

1. For sure you can add everything to your monitored library folder and you will have fun with "folderstructure view" although it doesn't give back the explorer view. However, creating such an view is very easy. But when you switch to other views based on tags the library could appear very messy as everything (fe. podcasts, speeches, files to tag, ...) will be shown. Sometimes it makes really sense to not add files to library. These - let me say disturbing tracks - have to be considered in every query.

2. It is no problem to add a whole hd or dvd drive to library folders. But please: changing the dvd drive f.e. means that i have to wait until 5 GB on a DVD is rescanned before working with it. Not to mention big hd drives!!

3. As i said too: There is the "add..." command. But i also mentioned an annoyance and primarily the usual possibilties of playlist interaction (send to new playlist, add to current, send to current) that are not duplicating nothing but offer a new workflow

(EDIT: That has nothing to do with just diferent looking)

As such, I'm moving your request to the third-party forum, given that requests like these are usually picked up by third-parties..

As i made the request my intention was just to bring my wish to the attention of Peter and not to anybody else! Would i else have posted in the General section?  I don't think that you are in position to decide wich ui element should be developed by Peter and wich not.

I beg you to move it back to the general section.

Reply #3
You still did not mention anything that isnt possible already. Like shakey said you can do what you want via drag and drop from explorer.
Select whatever and drop it on the end of your playlist and you have your "add to current", drop it on a empty spot in the playlist manager and you have your "new playlist" etc.

Reply #4
So what isn't possible? Ok, once again: the usual way of playlist interaction - means: assigning the interaction commands to double/Middleclick. But you are right, smkk: to achieve the results, i would like to have, the shortcut "Win + E" really helps. But please also see that i am talking about a more convenient way. Sure: if you add files from explorer from time to time, the "add..." commands or the windows explorer do their job very well. I on the contrary mean an user scenario where you have an extensive usage of the explorer (huge amount of data cds and dvds or hd disks) and then it quickly becomes annoyingly at all times to move around the overlapping windows explorer or to create a new playlist by drag&drop if your row of playlist tabs is full. That significantly slows down my workflow! Such an ui element would be of great benefit for such user scenarios - not to mention if it also would offer some useful features like multiple selection (like in album list) or managment of favorite directories.

As such, I'm moving your request to the third-party forum, given that requests like these are usually picked up by third-parties.

Do you mind explain what "usually" means in context of comparatively new ui element wich sdk is kept private (for good reasons)?

Edit for better comprehensibility

Reply #5
Why u dont use foo_uie_explorer. It adds an Explorer to Columns UI as a Panel...

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019