Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I give you oggdropXP!! (Read 10269 times) previous topic - next topic

I give you oggdropXP!!

Targeted at the more 'expert user', oggdropXP retains the same Bitrate Management Options as the regular version, but the Quality Options consist of an Edit Box into which to enter a quality setting of 0 - 1000. There is no slider, nor target nominal bitrate shown, except when encoding begins, just greater control over quality settings. Enter a value of < 0 and it will default to 0; enter a value of > 1000 and it will default to 1000.

If you are comfortable with the use of the quality settings and don't require a 'helping hand', this may suit you. Initially offered in the basic colours. The full colour range can be offered if there is demand for it.

Soon to be available at: http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/

I hope the more familiar users of the quality settings will find this useful. 

john33

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #1
into which to enter a quality setting of 0 - 1000

Given that quality 10 is around 500 kpbs, how large are files at quality 1000?

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #3
rjamorim's site is certainly up now.

Jon, as you will probably know if you've looked at the code, the quality settings, internally, run from 0.000 to 1.000. The entry of quality settings in the range  0.00 - 10.00 is quite arbitrary. I just took the decimals out and made it integer 0 - 1000. It's just one less character to enter.

john33

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #4
Originally posted by crowfax
is it just me that can't connect to http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/ at the moment?

I'm sorry. Please bear with my University's f***ing server.

The files are already there.

Update: At 2:00pm GMT, the server started working again.

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #5
I'm sorry. Please bear with my University's f***ing server.

No worries, I'm gonna go cook and try again later

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #6
Jon, as you will probably know ...

Perhaps you didn't see the smiley (  )? .
Semi-seriously - wouldn't it be better with the decimal point in there? After all, the user visible quality *should* go from 0 to 10, not from 0 to 1000...

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #7
I've noticed on oggdropXP that it doesn't update the nominal bitrate display until it starts encoding...

bug or feature?

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #8
Neither, really!! I could put it back in if you really want it. I just thought, maybe wrongly, that most people using this version would probably pretty much know what they were aiming at.

If the general consensus is to put it back, I will. I can't say fairer than that can I?

Thanks for the feedback.

john33

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #9
I don't mean on the settings screen, but on the main one with the little image of the fish?  when you stick your number in the encoding options shouldn't the text under the fish change?

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #10
That's what I meant too! But, hey, if this is causing confusion, maybe I'll just put it back in.  Watch this space!

john33

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #11
OK, you win!!  I put it back in again.

On reflection, you're probably right really. it looks more consistent that way. New version has been uploaded to Roberto, so should be there soon. 

john33

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #12
Top stuff

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #13

(Hey... I didn't say anything. Go figure...)

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #14
Originally posted by rjamorim

for what it's worth i like hearing you say you've updated your site

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #15
Originally posted by rjamorim

So is it up yet or not, damnit?

"One Xiph to rule them all"

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #16
Great! This edit box is what I've been wating for. Any chance for a combination of both slider and edit box?

If you put the nominal bitrate in the main windows why not just also put it in the encoding options? There is still the issue where you can select a nom bitrate in abr mode and the other two boxes don't adjust appropriately (sp?). Thats just cosmetics though.

Nice work!

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #17
Hey, I see what you mean about the ABR. I didn't even think about that! But, what should Min and Max do? If you change from CBR to ABR, then all 3 are the same. If you then adjust Nom, what should happen to Min and Max? I suppose the only certainty is that if Nom is lowered, then Min should be reduced to match, and if it is raised, then Max should increase to match. Clearly, both could also be zero, but that must be a manual adjustment. I think those are the only rules that can be applied.

If you can think of anything else, please advise, but I will work to that on both versions.

Showing the nominal bitrate on the dialogue box for the quality entered can't be done really because the value isn't read until the accept button is hit.

Thanks again for the feedback, I'll get this done ASAP.

john33

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #19
Having corrected the ABR situation, it now works on the basis that Min will always be <= Nom and Max will be validly either zero , or >= Nom.

Oh, BTW, I just made oggdropXP redundant! The regular oggdrop now provides quality settings via the slider and the left/right arrow keys of 0.00 to 10.00 in 0.01 increments. So, no more oggdropXP, everything thru the one, the only OGGDROP!

I can't think of anything else left to do on this aside from the possibility of auto tagging, but don't expect anything too quickly on that!

Enjoy.

john33

PS. Obviously these will be available at Roberto's site sometime soon - they have already been uploaded.

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #20
Truly excellent john

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #21
Absolutely, very  and all very nice and neat!!

Great work john33 !

Just one question in the subject of usablity:

Why don't you allow user inputs in the "white boxes" (the one showing the quality level and bitrate) below the quality slider, that would make it more intuitive as when I started it up I thought I could input figures into those dialog boxes, therefore by doing that you can make it more intuitive to the user. Another suggestion is to make those boxes grey out as to make it "user input prevented" thus user will automatically directed to the slider bar at the top.

Just a suggestion tho' (coming from a software/web site designer/student, (I don't code much) I just design the way the thing works)

But great and easy program as it is for me  and other  Project Mayhem users.

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #22
Thanks guys!!

Allowing data entry in the boxes is not really what I wanted to do. I had the boxes greyed out originally, but I thought that if they greyed when in Bitrate Mode and became white when in Quality Mode, it highlighted the fact that you were in Quality Mode a little better. Anybody else have any thoughts on the subject? Changing it is a 2 second job, but I don't want to do it one way and then have someone else ask for it to go back again.

Unless I hear any strong views, I'm inclined to leave it as it is.

Thanks,as ever, for the feedback!

john33

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #23
That's exactly what I had in mind for the abr boxes  .  I dunno if maybe it would be good to default min/max to zero when switching to abr (am I right that max=0 leads to no top limit?) so you have "no limits" abr. But then again, for this type of situation there's allways vbr (depends on how stable bitrates are in vbr, haven't done enough ogg encodes to tell). Just a thought, nothing more.

Of course it would be nice if you could edit both the quality setting and the bitrate by hand in the edit boxes. But shouldn't there be a way to have the edit boxes read-only but remain white? You could also change the value back to the original setting, whenever the user tries to type something in.

One question: what happens, if a new version of ogg is released? Do you have to start from scratch?

I give you oggdropXP!!

Reply #24
All good thoughts guys.

New version sent to Roberto. Quality and Bitrate equivalence boxes greyed, ie. no editing. Instruction to use Slider and Arrow keys to adjust quality setting added beneath slider. Added Cancel Button as positive way to abort changes to settings.

The frontend is actually fairly independent of what happens in the encoder. Any official changes in the oggdrop backend code are unlikely to necessitate changes to the frontend. In any case, I have submitted the code to Chris Wolf, the official maintainer of oggdrop, for possible inclusion as the official version. I'll report back what happens on that front.

Thanks for the input.

john33