Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: M-Audio Revolution Driver Update, v5.10.00.35 (Read 4478 times) previous topic - next topic

M-Audio Revolution Driver Update, v5.10.00.35

Release Notes: -6 db drop issue resolved with Bass management. Bass Speaker Settings defaulted to -6db for Bass Boost and LFE Boost. To update driver, download this file and run it. Reboot where requested.

The update solved some of my rather odd problems with foobar's directsound output on 2000. 32-bit floating point output seems to work with DS now as well (didn't work on my system before the update). KS 'issues' seem unchanged.

Reply #1
Under XP, I'm now able to use up to 32-bit fixed point with KS when using these new drivers.  With the previous drivers, anything above 16-bit would give an "unsupported format" error.

32-bit floating point "works" with KS now also (as in it doesn't give any errors), though the sound is strangely distorted.  Under the other outputs that support this like Directsound and ASIO, the sound is fine at this bitdepth.

Reply #2
coolies. yay 4 updates

p.s.  Should I be using 32bit over 24bit in foobar?  Someone told me to use 24bit, but I know there are advantages to 32bit when using ReplayGain and whatever, so can I use 32bit, or is that beyond what the Revo is supposed to use?

Reply #3
I just installed the new drivers for the Revo and have some questions about oddities with Foobar's KS:

First of all, 24-bit doesn't work at all for me. I don't have any DSPs running, either, not even the resampler.

Secondly, 32-bit Floating Point only works if I turn off the resampler, which kind of loses its purpose for me, since the 32-bit Floating Point part of Foobar was designed to lessen the impact of DSPs on the quality of audio (if I understand things correctly).

Thankfully, 32-bit Fixed Point does work, but I'm not sure if this is better or worse than using 16-bit since 32-bit is beyond the soundcard's hardware capability. Am I degrading my audio quality by using 32-bit instead of 16-? I really wish that 24-bit worked for me, and I'm not even sure why it doesn't.

Any help or information is, of course, welcome.

Reply #4
All modes work fine for me, but I would also like to know if using a 32bit mode is actually degrading quality.

p.s. does anyone have a problem where the begining of tracks in any audio player get slightly cut off.  I'm talking just a micro bit of a seconds, but enough to be very noticable and sometimes cause an audible click in the audio when the audio starts.  And it only seems to happen the first time u press play after starting a player, or maybe like when no audio has been played on the system for a certain amount of time.  I know it's a vauge decriptions but has anyone had a similar problem?

the problem is kinda annoying.  ill see if it is still around after this driver update

Reply #5
sorry a bit off-topic

Does M-revolution pass Sound Tests  60 sounds in 3Dmark03 ? I heard that even Audigy 2 can't pass it

The only sound card can pass it is Nforce2 Onboard 

/edit

Audigy 2, not Audigy 
still LAME 3.96.1 --preset extreme -q 0 -V 0 -m s at least until 2005.

Reply #6
SNYder

What OS are you running? Do you also get soft, distorted clicks instead of normal sharp-sounding ones in Explorer/IE?

Reply #7
XP Pro SP1...  but IE?  Do you mean the windows sound whenever you click something?  I have all Windows sounds disabled.  I have always found them to be annoying.  If that's what your talking about, I'll enable them to see.

Reply #8
Do try to enable them and see what happens. I'm fairly positive it's my box that's at fault, but since i've experienced the cut-off problem you described earlier, which appears to be a wacky buffer issue, it wouldn't hurt to check.

Reply #9
a total shot in the dark...  but could it be that the sound has half-played before the driver has fully opened??

Reply #10
32-bit floating point "works" with KS now also (as in it doesn't give any errors), though the sound is strangely distorted.  Under the other outputs that support this like Directsound and ASIO, the sound is fine at this bitdepth.

Are you sure that this card supports Float32?
Same effect happens on my DMX 6fire LT.

Reply #11
Do try to enable them and see what happens. I'm fairly positive it's my box that's at fault, but since i've experienced the cut-off problem you described earlier, which appears to be a wacky buffer issue, it wouldn't hurt to check.

ok.  windows plays the clicking sound fine basically everytime for me, just as Winamp plays it (although ocassionaly Winamp cuts it in half as the audio doesn't come across the speakers until halfway through the click).  In Foobar, no matter what bit setting I use only the latter half of the click sound is heard. 

it has also been my guess, jesseg, that the driver is for whatever reason not being fully ready untill a millisecond into playing audio, but only sometimes for me.  ... I don't know much about audio drivers.  Is that really how they work?  They make themselves inactive when there is not audio being played and get reactivated when audio is started?

This has really started to become a huge annoyance.  I would really concider returning the card if this is not address with a driver update soon.    Or maybe I am causing this somehow.  Maybe there is something I can do to fix it.

Specs:
Dell Dimension 8200
2.53Ghz P4
GeForce MX 420
Intel PRO/100 M Desktop Adapter
WinXP Pro (came with system, so it's legit) upgraded to SP1 and all suggested and critical updates are installed that were released before today