Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LegacyDisable Creates Context Menu problems in Windows 7 (Read 7751 times) previous topic - next topic

LegacyDisable Creates Context Menu problems in Windows 7

I have the enqueue and play options on right click on folders, but not on individual files.

I went into the registry and deleted the LegacyDisable entry under Foobar.MP3 in each of the enqueue, play, and open folders in regedit.

After I deleted that key, I had the enqueue options back, but once foobar started, it automatically added the registry keys back, therefore making the enqueue option dissapear for the right click on files.

I think the LegacyDisable key should just not be used, as it is creating alot of trouble with the context menus in Windows 7.

I am currently using Windows 7 build 7127 (32 bit), and Foobar .0.9.6.7

Any suggestions on how to get the enqueue option back on the right click of files, as I have tried the registry edit and it doesnt work because LegacyDisable is there and creates some problems

Reply #1
I wish I could edit my first post but....

After doing some more playing around here are my findings.

In order to get the enqueue option to appear I must delete the LegacyDisable key under enqueue in Foobar.MP3. 

If i do this before i open foobar, the option works just like it is supposed to, but dissapears once foobar is opened, meaning foobar re-adds it to the registry at every open

If i do this while foobar is running, I can use the enqueue option, from the right click menu, for as long as I want, until I re-start foobar, when once again the key is put back in the registry and the enqueue option is no longer in the right click context menu.

All of this is for individual files, the enqueue option is always there for directories

Reply #2
After once again more playing around, I have found a hack around this.

If you rename "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" to anything but its original name, and remove the LegacyDisable keys, then you can use enqueue all you want on the right click menu.

The problem is that foobar gives you a dialog box that says that it cannot find the exe everytime you start it.

The problem therefore lies in "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" and not foobar, as it it replaces the key at every startup, which is called at every startup of foobar.

The developers need to make it an option on whether or not to run "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" at every startup of foobar
OR
Remove the LegacyDisable string from being re-added to the registry

Preferably the 2nd

Still looking for a permanent solution to this problem if anyone wants to shed some light on the issue

EDIT:  I replaced "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" with "dud.exe" from http://www3.telus.net/_/dud/ but I just renamed it to "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" and it works awesome, foobar runs the program that does nothing thinking it is updating the shell extensions, now I can control them from the registry

Reply #3
Thanks a 1000 times, I had exactly the same annoying problem and used your workaround successfully .

Reply #4
Not like I have anything against messing with random registry keys and .exe files, but out of curiosity - does this have any effect?
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #5
Yep, seems to work as well.

After unchecking both boxes in "Set program access..." running foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater doesn't remove the enqueue context menu entries anymore.

Thanks .

Reply #6
...I replaced "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" with "dud.exe" from http://www3.telus.net/_/dud/ but I just renamed it to "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" and it works awesome, foobar runs the program that does nothing thinking it is updating the shell extensions, now I can control them from the registry...

I'd also like to express my gratitude to you golf7 for this magnificent piece of information (not only relevant to the problem in this thread) !!!

Thank you very much  !

Reply #7
The developers need to make it an option on whether or not to run "foobar2000 Shell Associations Updater.exe" at every startup of foobar

I would also like to ask for this feature.
Just noticed that desktop icons (whole explorer) refreshes for some reason, then I tracked down foobar then this file that starts on startup. I don't know if the core problem is there, but replacing it with empty file works fine and loads even better