Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [USELESS OFF-TOPICNESS] Article: Why We Need Audiophiles (Read 11284 times) previous topic - next topic

[USELESS OFF-TOPICNESS] Article: Why We Need Audiophiles

Reply #25
By the way, just out of curiosity, is your spell-check broken or are you just in a rush and being careless?

This is a bit funny coming from someone who doesn't appear to get a commission for using adverbs or proper subject/verb agreement.

Mr. Krueger, I retract and apologize for the 'careless' remark, clearly it was uncalled for.

Greynol, you made your point. Perhaps, however, you could provide a reference for your assertion so that I might learn from my grammatical mistake?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #26
Greynol, you made your point. Perhaps, however, you could provide a reference for your assertion so that I might learn from my grammatical mistake?

Perhaps he referred to your repeated error in the use of "factually incorrect".

Reply #27
By the way, just out of curiosity, is your spell-check broken or are you just in a rush and being careless?

This is a bit funny coming from someone who doesn't appear to get a commission for using adverbs or proper subject/verb agreement.

And this is a bit funny coming from someone who has failed to comment on many other grammatical errors from many other posters. Can we stick to the point?

Reply #28

And this is a bit funny coming from someone who has failed to comment on many other grammatical errors from many other posters. Can we stick to the point?

1) It would be if I had thrown the first stone, though my effort to point out the facts will probably be lost on you.

2) When do you plan on sticking to the point?

EDIT: Kudos for crafting the 1000th post to this discussion in the form of a non sequitur.

Reply #29
How was that incentive delivered to you in a tangible way?  Answer: via a paycheck from the store where you worked.

Yes, paycheck was the wrong word. I should have said commission check. My apologies.

The customer was not your employer.  You've finally admitted that you "receive paychecks from the store they work under".

Actually, I didn't "admit" that at all; I actually was attempting to explain the concept of commission sales.

The tax man thinks that your employer was this store where you worked.

Actually, no, I paid taxes based on my commissions, not income, nor did I receive any employee benefits. I wasn't employed by the store, I had a contractual relationship with the store and I was responsible for my own benefits and taxes. Indeed, I had to pay the store for its services from my commissions.

The store where you worked reported you to the government  as an employee.

No they did not.

Your customers left to their own thoughts thought that employer was this store where you worked.

No, I'm sure many knew, or at the least, suspected, that I was on a commission system.

I think that your employer was this store where you worked.

You will, of course, continue to think what ever you like. How is that relevant?

You can believe what you want, say what you want, but in fact your employer was this store where you worked.

I disagree with you, and clearly, it's more than just my personal belief.

Not on any standard sales contract. The address that changed was the address of the purchaser. The address of the store, your employer, was no doubt permanently printed on every contract.

No, not always; large deals were often written up on a quote sheet and I would personally sign a standard purchase order between myself and the customer.

Reply #30

1) It would be if I had thrown the first stone, though my effort to point out the facts will probably be lost on you.

2) When do you plan on sticking to the point?

EDIT: Kudos for crafting the 1000th post to this discussion in the form of a non sequitur.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=630333

Reply #31
However, we both know that salespeople receive paychecks from the store they work under.

No, actually, they received commissions, not wages nor salaries.

Which under common law as well as the laws of most governments, makes the store your employer.

No, no it doesn't, nor was it. I was not an employee, I was a salesperson.

Only if you call blatant denial of common law and relevant local law thoughout most of the world "addressing". I'm in a good mood today so I'll call it spin.

I, of course, am not denying anything in common law, nor in any relevant local law throughout most of the world despite your assertion. You are, of course, free to call it whatever you like.

Most sales people are "at will" employees. That means that they have a job per the will of the employer, not the will of the customers. Most salespersons are motivated to improve the financial situation of their employer, plain and simple. Unprofitable employers have this nasty tendency of going out of business. No business, no job!

Actually, many salespeople are on a commission system and aren't considered to be employees. In truth, many salespeople are motivated solely to improve their own financial situation and any concern for the company comes long after self-concern and client service.

What rhetorical tactics?

In my opinion, all your talk about employment and sales has been a rhetorical distraction meant to shift the focus away from the topic of this thread.

You seem to wish to deny general commecial practice and business law throughout the first and second worlds.

I, in no way, seem to wish to deny general commercial practice and business law throughout the first and second worlds, what ever that means.

Reply #32
You seem to wish to deny general commecial practice and business law throughout the first and second worlds.
I, in no way, seem to wish to deny general commercial practice and business law throughout the first and second worlds, what ever that means.

This is far from the general case. In general, commissioned salespersons are paid by their employer who is the sales enterprise. IOW, the store. Been there, done that, many times.
I disagree, as a commission sales person, I was paid a 'commission' on items I sold. The more I sold, the more I made. There were no wages or salary ever paid to me by the company I sold for. In fact, I was repeatedly told, and we as sales people believed, that the customer was the employer. I don't know what sales world you live in, but it's apparently not the same reality as I've experienced.

Are you suggesting that your situation is the predominant commercial practice?

In my opinion, all your talk about employment and sales has been a rhetorical distraction meant to shift the focus away from the topic of this thread.
From what I can tell, Arny has been addressing the topic of this thread head-on.

At any time you could have chosen to pick up from the other discussion the two of you were having:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry631999

HTH

Reply #33
I want to propose that we all discuss our employment contracts and and conditions now.

We need to prove 2tec's hypothesis, that salesmen (!        ), who are just doing their job, have less incentive to "stretch the truth" (for money) than audio reviewers, who are just doing their job - against all intuition and experience. It will be very beneficial to this thread. After almost 1000 posts, that was one central point, that was really missing.

I'm scanning my 70 page contract right now and will post it shortly.

Edit: We could cut fork this all out into a "Why We Need Salesmen" thread. On the other hand, yet what difference would it make in this 1000 post juggernaut?

Reply #34
I personally apologize for ever suggesting that salesmanship or showmanship was involved with Fremer's selling quality claims to the Gizmo reporter.

I honestly had no idea that 2Tec could devolve such an argument into a 100 post side-point about what the idea of "salesmanship" actually entails without addressing my actual point.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #35

Personally I don't think that I've stated anything other than commission sales was in no way different in my particular situation or that my situation was any different than any other commission salesperson.

From what I can tell, Arny has been addressing the topic of this thread head-on.

In my opinion, an argument over what commission salespeople are, isn't immediately relevant in terms of understanding the subjective listening perspective, or in explaining exactly what it was that so impressed the author of the original article enough to motivate him to share his experience.

At any time you could have chosen to pick up from the other discussion the two of you were having:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry631999

I'm doing my best to answer as many post as best I can. Furthermore, I don't really see a need to rush my answers. I'll get to that post as soon as I get to it. It is my intention to reply to everything put to me, whenever possible. However, just to let you know, I do appreciate the reminder. By the way, aren't you ignoring all the other loose ends in this thread? If you like, let me know which others I've been unable to attend to, so that I can get to them as soon as I like. By the way, did you get a chance to let me know exactly where that grammatical error was?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply #36
We need to prove 2tec's hypothesis, that salesmen, who are just doing their job, have less incentive to "stretch the truth" (for money) than audio reviewers, who are just doing their job - against all intuition and experience.

Who is we? Is it my hypothesis, and if possible, perhaps you could provide a link to exactly what statement of mine that you're referring to? As for your post, personally, I think both the salesperson and the reviewer have a similar incentive not to stretch the truth. Don't we all?

By the way, don't double blind tests often go "against all intuition and experience"? Aren't you suggesting you trust intuition and experience here?

Reply #37
By the way, don't double blind tests often go "against all intuition and experience"?

Maybe from your salesman perspective, not from mine! But I deeply understand that you could call it counterintuitive when an amp implying a $2000 commission (for your pocket) would show a negative DBT result against an amp generating only $200...

Reply #38

Personally I don't think that I've stated anything other than commission sales was in no way different in my particular situation or that my situation was any different than any other commission salesperson.

Well, you did say that a commission salesperson is "common". link

In my opinion, an argument over what commission salespeople are, isn't immediately relevant in terms of understanding the subjective listening perspective, or in explaining exactly what it was that so impressed the author of the original article enough to motivate him to share his experience.

Yes, and you were the one to get stuck in this argument over what a good salesperson is, over an analogy by shakey_snake (which I still think is valid) - although I'm not exactly innocent when it comes to stretching out that debate. link

Reply #39
So why are you engaging in such an argument if it's not relevant and how does this refute the fact that Arny is openly addressing the topic of this discussion?

By the way, aren't you ignoring all the other loose ends in this thread?
Which ones would that be, your nonsensical notion that it's ok for reviewers to be less than honest or that it's not alright for people to draw logical conclusions from your claims based on language you clearly don't understand; or that you're erroneously blaming others for engaging in off-topic discussion because they want to shift the debate?  I'll pass, thanks.

By the way, did you get a chance to let me know exactly where that grammatical error was?
You conceded the point that you shouldn't have resorted to calling someone out on a spelling mistake, so this was enough for me.

Reply #40
We need to prove 2tec's hypothesis, that salesmen, who are just doing their job, have less incentive to "stretch the truth" (for money) than audio reviewers, who are just doing their job - against all intuition and experience.

Who is we? Is it my hypothesis, and if possible, perhaps you could provide a link to exactly what statement of mine that you're referring to?

You have a short memory, but here's a reminder: link

By the way, you asked to let you know, what other posts "you've been unable to attend to". Here's one of my own: link

Reply #41

So? Are you suggesting it's uncommon? Does it make a difference? Is this relevant?

Yes, and you were the one to get stuck in this argument over what a good salesperson is, over an analogy by shakey_snake (which I still think is valid) - although I'm not exactly innocent when it comes to stretching out that debate.

It seems as if I'm denounced if I answer, and I'm denounced if I haven't..  What's a person to do, eh? Personally, I can only hope I've addressed your concerns.

Reply #42

So? Are you suggesting it's uncommon? Does it make a difference? Is this relevant?

No, but your own enthusiasm about this subject seems to imply that you think it's relevant.

It seems as if I'm denounced if I answer, and I'm denounced if I haven't..  What's a person to do, eh? Personally, I can only hope I've addressed your concerns.

It may have some bearing on what you answer to, in regards to the relevance for the thread. And no, you haven't yet addressed all my "concerns", as pointed out in my previous post.

Reply #43
It's true that because of advertising, the reviewer's objectivity may be compromised, and that's what a lot of this discussion has been about: many people have questioned the objectivity of articles written by mr. Fremer and mr. Atkinson.

The problem is in how you've represented the review as objective. This is factual incorrect as a reviewer isn't a scientist and isn't conducting a controlled experiment. A reviewer is a subjective expert providing a subjective opinion.

Of course in absolute sense, every review is by definition completely subjective. But I think you can still understand the point of trying to be "objective", in the sense of providing factual information, that is not coloured by ulterior motives. This is what was questioned in those aforementioned articles.

Yes, indeed I do fully understand the need for as much objectivity as possible in an attempt for a review to be as honest and helpful as possible. I never tried to justify how any particular reviews are done, or why, other than what I said in my original assertion that a reviewer's loyalties lie towards the magazine, which includes both advertisers and readers. Should reviewers be dishonest? Of course not, then they aren't helping the magazine, the manufacturer or the reader. Are some people so taken with themselves, or a product, that they are dishonest? Sure, it happens everywhere and every day. Isn't it each individual's responsibility to decide what is truth and what is not, for themselves?

It is also ultimately irrelevant, whether the reviewer is a scientist or not - he/she might as well be one. Reviews may also include controlled experiments to support the reviewer's views.

Sure, scientific testing would help. That's why there's magazines like Consumer Reports, which tries to be scientific. Some subscribe to Consumer Reports, others to Stereophile, heck, there might even be those who subscribe to both! Isn't the free market wonderful?