Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: -alt-preset (Read 8511 times) previous topic - next topic

-alt-preset

-alt-preset cbr
-alt-preset insane

Is one better or newer? I read somewhere that they are equal.
I compress everything to mp3, just wondering which preset is best.

-alt-preset

Reply #1
-alt-preset cbr
-alt-preset insane

-alt-present is an old switch, it has been replaced by -V. Please read the article on LAME in the knowledge base:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

You should really do some ABX testing

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=ABX

to see which quality is transparent to you (try -V3 or -V2, you might be surprised).

-alt-preset

Reply #2
I have always compressed to CBR, so what would be the better preset?

-alt-preset

Reply #3
I have always compressed to CBR, so what would be the better preset?

-b 320 is the highest quality cbr and -V0 for vbr, but why the cbr bias? Unless if you go for -b 320, you are really crippling LAME with cbr. I bet you can go much lower (vbr) and save space. Again please read the LAME article- the knowledge base exist for a reason.

-alt-preset

Reply #4
-V0  would be lower space than  -b 320  and better quality

but some of my players wont read VBR

-alt-preset

Reply #5

but some of my players wont read VBR

Yes, -b 320 (the old --preset/--alt-preset insane)  is the highest quality possible. -V0 is the old "--preset fast extreme", but it is vbr.  I am surprised that there are still players that can't play vbr.

-alt-preset

Reply #6
I'll rip a CD using -b 320 as my preset.
Then use -V0 and see how much of a difference there will be in file size.

-alt-preset

Reply #7
I'll rip a CD using -b 320 as my preset.
Then use -V0 and see how much of a difference there will be in file size.

You mean transcode the -b 320 mp3 file to -V0? Don't do that- it will degrade the quality. If some of your players can't handle vbr, then doing -V0 is pointless in the first place. For a smaller file size that is close to "--preset extreme", try "-b 260".

-alt-preset

Reply #9

This is partially incorrect. In terms of quality -b 320 is better than -V0.

According to Wiki, it's true.

This is from Wiki...
The rule of thumb when considering encoding options: at a given bitrate, VBR is higher quality than ABR, which is higher quality than CBR (VBR > ABR > CBR in terms of quality).

-alt-preset

Reply #10
This is from Wiki...
The rule of thumb when considering encoding options: at a given bitrate, VBR is higher quality than ABR, which is higher quality than CBR (VBR > ABR > CBR in terms of quality).

I am not sure if it's stated in the wiki, but that comment is for a specific target bitrate.  (say,  VBR ~ 192 vs ABR ~ 192 vs CBR at 192)*

Since a VBR file that has a bitrate of 320kbps would be equivalent to a CBR file of that same bitrate, VBR cannot be of higher quality for that specific case.

About your original question, the others gave you the correct answer, and it is a good idea that you judge yourself if you need CBR or you're fine with a VBR setting.

* And even then, at lowest settings, it is not as tuned, and sometimes fails versus CBR. This is especially true for lame 3.98 and it will get revised for 3.99.

-alt-preset

Reply #11
LAME 3.98.2 works better encoding to VBR, correct?

-V0 is the highest quality you can get with VBR
(which would be lower space as well)
-b 320 is the highest quality you can get with CBR

-alt-preset

Reply #12

This is partially incorrect. In terms of quality -b 320 is better than -V0.

According to Wiki, it's true.

This is from Wiki...

The important point there is that this applies at a given bitrate. Since all VBR modes will give bitrates less than 320kbps then you cant say that V0 is higher quality than CBR320.  High quality VBR (eg V0) will use 320kbps where needed and lower bitrates in less demanding frames. V0 cannot be higher quality than CBR320, more efficient certainly, but higher quality never.

BTW That's all theoretical of course. In reality it's very unlikely that you would ever be able to hear any quality difference between V0 and CBR 320. Do your listening test and see what you think.

-alt-preset

Reply #13
To my ears, nearly all music is transparent at V3...infact I've gone as low as V6 without hearing a difference on some tracks. ALL of music is tranpsarent at V2 and V1, and I know, because I have done MANY abx tests. I still use V0, for no reason other than personal preference, even though there is no audible difference. CBR 320 used to be my sweet spot, but after I found out about VBR, I promptly switched. I use V0, V1 and V2 for encoding, and can't hear a difference between these files. So in many ways, I'm still overkilling (?) by using V0 and V1. CBR 320 s still the highest quality, but I cannot tell a difference at all between a V2 file and a CBR 320 one, let alone a V2 file and the original CD. And, considering that the file size difference between V0 and CBR is very significant, you'd be mad not to go with the higher VBR settings: V0, V1 and V2- even V3.

Moderation: Removed unnecessary quotation of the previous post.

-alt-preset

Reply #14
-alt-preset insane (newer)
-alt-preset cbr (old)

Is this correct?

-alt-preset

Reply #15
-alt-preset insane (newer)
-alt-preset cbr (old)

Is this correct?

no.  --alt-preset insane = --alt-preset cbr 320

you could use any cbr value after cbr. (like 160, 128..)

you don't need to use any of them with lame 3.98 . -b 320 is already --alt-preset insane, and -V 2 is already --alt-preset standard ( same for -V0 and extreme)

-alt-preset

Reply #16
nitpicking: for lame 3.98, -V 2 is --alt-preset fast standard (or --preset fast standard).

-alt-preset

Reply #17
CBR 320

-alt-preset cbr & -alt-preset insane are the same right?
There is no difference between the two if the bitrates are the same?

-alt-preset

Reply #18
Again:
-b 320 = 320kbps CBR
--alt-preset insane = -b 320= 320kbps CBR
--alt-preset cbr 320 = --alt-preset insane = -b 320 = 320kbps CBR

Lame 3.98.2 should apply the same lowpass settings regardless of what command line you use (for 320kbps CBR encoding).  You should be using the newer command line of -b 320 though since the older --alt-preset command lines are no longer the standard.  Lame now using -b x for CBR encoding (where X represents the bitrate you want to use for CBR results), -V x for VBR (where X represents a quality level, -V 2 replaced the old --alt-preset standard command and -V 0 replaced the old --alt-preset extreme command), and --abr x (where X represents the target bitrate for abr encoding).

-alt-preset

Reply #19
1) --alt-preset, not -alt-preset.
2) --alt-preset is the same as --preset.

-alt-preset

Reply #20
Lame 3.98.2 should apply the same lowpass settings regardless of what command line you use (for 320kbps CBR encoding).  You should be using the newer command line of -b 320 though since the older --alt-preset command lines are no longer the standard.  Lame now using -b x for CBR encoding (where X represents the bitrate you want to use for CBR results), -V x for VBR (where X represents a quality level, -V 2 replaced the old --alt-preset standard command and -V 0 replaced the old --alt-preset extreme command), and --abr x (where X represents the target bitrate for abr encoding).

-alt-preset insane = newer command line? That's what I was trying to get at.

-alt-preset

Reply #21
1) --alt-preset, not -alt-preset.
2) --alt-preset is the same as --preset.

I know it's --alt-preset
I was just shortening it with -alt-preset

-alt-preset

Reply #22
-alt-preset insane = newer command line? That's what I was trying to get at.

No, that is the older command line.  As per my post (and what you have been told a couple of times), --alt-preset insane corresponds to a newer command line of -b 320

Hence, use -b 320 if you are going with Lame 3.97 and above and want the same results as --alt-preset insane.

You should really conduct your own blind ABX tests to determine if this bitrate setting is needed for your ears.  320kbps CBR is often overkill for people.  I understand that you have a device which works with CBR files only (make sure you actually check this).  Still, you should conduct some blind ABX tests to determine which CBR setting is right for you.  That way you can optimize your storage space.