Skip to main content
Topic: removing embedded album art (Read 3801 times) previous topic - next topic

removing embedded album art

i've searched. read 1. check properties but i see nothing that could be album art to remove. 2. downloaded masstagger and did "remove all fields but artist;title;tracknumber;album;genre;disc;date" and that didn't work either. running 9.6.3.

Reply #1
Follow the instructions that you read.
Using right click or the Tools button

Properties > Select All Metadata Fields > Copy
Tools > Remove Tags
PASTE FIELDS [not PASTE]

terry

EDIT: corrected above to show need for Tools, remove tags.

Reply #2
i did it exactly as that. small grainy album art still embedded.

Reply #3
Properties > Select All Metadata Fields > Copy
Remove all fields
PASTE FIELDS [not PASTE]

Great job. I've been wondering about that.

Just a minor correction, though:  removing all fields manually won't remove the embedded art.
As far as I tried the only way that works is:
right-click tracks > Tagging > Remove Tags from File(s).

Reply #4
Edited my above post # 2.

terry

Reply #5
I prefer to take a different approach to removing albumart bloat. Convert the tags from ID3 to APE and then back again. Perhaps this is simply exploiting foobar's inability to migrate the art from one tag format to another but it works well and is rather easy to do.

EDIT: I would really like to be able to manage album art from the file properties dialog just like any other tag, but this is not currently possible.

Reply #6
removing the tags still is not working for me. everything is clearing but the art still stays. are you using the same version as me?

Reply #7
I have no knowledge of whether this is a version thing. I'm using the current version. 9.6.5.b2
You can always go outside of Foobar to take care of this.
There are many tag programs available that provide this function.

Tagscanner and mp3tag come quickly to mind.

terry

Reply #8
is it possible the art is embedded into the actual folder and not the mp3s? i'm trying both programs mentioned and can't get it either (though granted don't have instructions).

Reply #9
i just moved them out of the folder and that was it. do you know how to remove embedded art out of a folder by chance? i'm on vista.

Reply #10
I use both though I know mp3tag the best. It has a help system and and a support forums.
Have no idea why you can not get to the bottom of this. It is quite basic issue.

Folders do not get art embedded into them. Of course, you could have a .jpg in the folder that is showing.
I take it you can determine this on your own. 

terry

EDIT: have no idea what you have found. Why not just rename and use the folder that works for you. Quicker than understanding.

Reply #11
probably you had image file with hidden attribute set in your folder. and you can't see it because in folder options (in windows explorer) this option is checked: do not show hidden files and folders

Reply #12
how can i make sure everything is visible? i already have "show hidden files and folders" checked in my file options.

Reply #13
try just renaming the folder (original folder before you moved the files)
if the album art is still showing then you must have some hidden files, and if the option is checked like you said then you should see them or try this from the command prompt:
DIR/A

Reply #14
i got it. had to uncheck hide extensions and hide protected operating files. lots of "albumart" "folder" "albumartsmall" stuff. all clean.

Reply #15
All's well that ends well.  I had these kind of issues sometime ago. This is the handy work of Windows Media Player left unchecked. To check it, I have WMP's  player settings turned off. So now, instead of messy low quality hidden system art files all over the place, I like many others here, now happily use [a href='index.php?showtopic=0']Mp3tag[/a] and [a href='index.php?showtopic=0']AlbumArtDownloader[/a] to get and manage correct and high quality album art. Oh, and to get some of those large art file down to size for embedding (50 kb or below) [a href='index.php?showtopic=0']gimp[/a] is indispensable.

This is just my two cents

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020