Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Possible grounding issue? (new member) (Read 1151 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible grounding issue? (new member)

First off, Hi everybody!  I've been lurking for quite a while here and have been impressed with all the info, so I finally decided to register.  I wasn't sure if I should put this in the hardware, but it seems safer here.

I recently purchased a macbook pro (with the aluminum casing) and was migrating from my older windows based recording system to this machine.  I set everything up and when I checked in input from the guitar there was a tremendous amount of static.  I checked all the cables, checked the guitar with an amp and checked the interface on the computer I was using previously.  Everything checked out ok, so I decided I hook it all back up to the mac.  I still had the static, but when I touched the strings/bridge with on hand and the metal case of the macbook, it stopped.  I couldn't seem to find anyone else who had this problem and am looking for some suggestions.  It would lead me to believe I may need to rewire the guitar (again), but I don't have a solid logical reason to do so.  Any suggestions?

BTW, my other guitars are not with me right now, but I will be picking them up tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.  Thanks.