Skip to main content
Topic: Rewrite filenames by their tags (Read 2290 times) previous topic - next topic

Rewrite filenames by their tags

Hello,

as you know, it's easy to get files tagged in foobar (e.g. via discogs).  But, if i already have the right tags, how can i easily manage to change the filenames by those tags?
Hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Right Click > File Operations > Rename >... opens dialog box.
Once there, let us know if you still need help

terry

If you do not have the above options....run the installer again and make sure you install with Tools > File Operations checked.
It will not adversely change your Foobar.

terry

Reply #2
thanks.

it was horrible. though i didn't choose to implement that option when installing foobar, i had to to renew the installation. Although I backuped my foobar settings, everything (well, almost) was absent after the new installation  . All individual scripts and song ratings... It's upsetting.
Now I'm trying to make it working like before, so I'll follow your advice after that.

Apologize my English, I am not a native speaker.

Reply #3
You must have done something wrong. Just re-running the installation and selecting an additional bundled component does not alter/reset any settings. It's the recommended and only proper way of updating too.
Are you sure you choose the same installation folder and type (standard / portable) as before?
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #4
I did it that way: Choosing a new installing path (like "alt" for "alternative foobar"). When opening the new foobar, it asked for many plugins like "would you like to keep the current settings although this and that plugin is not installed?". I chose "no" for all of them. Then I reloaded my individual Columns UI, but many settings just kept absent. Perhaps, clicking "no" was my fault, I don't know. (Weird thing is, that even chosing my "old" foobar did not bring back my current settings?!)
So, how shall I handle any new installation/upgrade to prevent what happened?

Reply #5
You are supposed to just reinstall over your existing installation. EDIT: SAME DIRECTORY SAME EVERYTHING - just add the new options to install. There will be no problems.
I can give you a more detailed explanation for all of the above issues of yours- if you need...but a simple install over an existing foobar causes NO issues.

terry

EDIT. more detail if this helps.

What you did is make a new installation of foobar.
Foobar noticed that previously you have some bits and pieces of foobar loaded with specific configuration settings.
Foobar did not see any of these pieces in the new install.....so it asked and you told it to ignore / erase all settings for the missing stuff.
You then added - outside of foobar - the missing pieces.
Restart Foobar and foobar sees the pieces and allows you to use them....but of course any special configurations are gone as per your decision.

Reply #6
Thank you for this explanation. This revealed what I've done wrong.

Reply #7
good luck!

If you still have questions once you get yourself to the rename functions....let us know.

terry

Reply #8
By the way, the FAQ addresses both your question about renaming files and how to upgrade and install missing components.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020