Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Generic MP3GAIN/Replaygain question (Read 3080 times) previous topic - next topic

Generic MP3GAIN/Replaygain question

Is the level of 89dB what most people really use out there?

Also, when a song is flagged as "Clip" how bad is that really? Can that be ignored (it just nicely compresses it so you can't hear it) or will actually generate an audible artifact?

I was looking for an in-depth FAQ on the usage of mp3gain (total newbie, I just used it on my first CD full of MP3s and it definitely made them easier to listen to as a whole), but before I go on and start using it across the board, I'd really like to know:

a) is 89 db the level I should always use? If yes, then why?
b) if a song on a CD is flagged as "Clip" how serious is that? Should I lower the level of the entire CD just because of that 1 MP3 (let's say 1 out of 100) or can I just safely ignore it?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up...

Reply #1
Originally posted by Zaraza
a) is 89 db the level I should always use?

Not necessarily. That's just a fairly "safe" level at which most songs will not have any clipping (although I've found a few that do).

b) if a song on a CD is flagged as "Clip" how serious is that? Should I lower the level of the entire CD just because of that 1 MP3 (let's say 1 out of 100) or can I just safely ignore it?

The seriousness of the clipping depends on your ears. If you can't hear it (a "crackle" sound during the loud parts of the song), then no problem. If you can, you could probably just move the gain down a tiny bit for that one song. (Use the "Constant Gain" function in mp3gain).

-Glen

Reply #2
What does Constant Gain do exactly?

Reply #3
Originally posted by Zaraza
What does Constant Gain do exactly?

Adds a user-specified (positive or negative and in increments of 1,5 dB) gain to the selected files.