Skip to main content
Topic: Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique Remastered (Read 5046 times) previous topic - next topic

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique Remastered

Does anyone have a copy of the cd yet? I'm interested in knowing if this remaster is worth getting (or not). I mean, I know it's PB & everything but the more I read about it the more I am suspect.

Reply #1
I would also like to know if the remaster is worth getting - is it compressed, clipped, EQ'd or remixed?  Something on the Beastie Boys site said the bass was stronger....

Anyone compare the original release vs. recent remaster?
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #2
I would also like to know if the remaster is worth getting - is it compressed, clipped, EQ'd or remixed?  Something on the Beastie Boys site said the bass was stronger....

Anyone compare the original release vs. recent remaster?

I have heard a track from it myself which I compared to the original and yeah, it's heavily EQ'd to give it much more bass. Its also a little louder than the original. Personally I much prefer the sound of the original.

Reply #3
My original release has a replaygain value of -1.07 dB.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #4
My original release is -1.05 dB.  Anyone have the new release and do a comparison of spectra and waveforms?
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #5
The bass is far better and overall the sound quality is brilliant. I think this is a great re-issue of a hip hop classic! x

Reply #6
I have both CDs.  The 20th Anniversary Remaster seems to have a few extra tracks over the original 1989 release.  That's why I bought it.

In any case, initial listening of the Remaster is favorable.  I can also verify that the bass is enhanced and the music seems a few dB louder overall as well.

Remaster Album Gain = -4.06 dB
Remaster Album Peak = 1.028609

Here's a more complete analysis of some of the hit tracks, comparing both the original and the remaster.  I will present Audacity graphs of the remastered tracks only.

NOTE: All tracks ripped by EAC and encoded to MP3 using LAME 3.98.2 -V2

High Plains Drifter
======================

Original ---- Track Gain +0.67 dB, Track Peak 0.778856
Remaster -- Track Gain -3.06 dB, Track Peak 1.028609

Audacity graph of remastered version

Hey Ladies
======================

Original ---- Track Gain -2.13 dB, Track Peak 0.995883
Remaster -- Track Gain -4.54 dB, Track Peak 1.015156

Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun
======================

Original ---- Track Gain -2.62 dB, Track Peak 0.956450
Remaster -- Track Gain -5.32 dB, Track Peak 1.020670

EDIT: Forgot to add the remaster album gain/peak.

Reply #7
Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun (lossless from original CD)

Track Gain : -2.61 dB
Track Peak : 0.977203

Not sure if it would be outside of the TOS of HA but a 20 sec lossless sample from this track for comparison would be great. I can provide a sample from the original.
daefeatures.co.uk

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020