Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Volume flutuating randomly? (Read 3770 times) previous topic - next topic

Volume flutuating randomly?

The volume of my old Cambridge SoundWorks PC speakers has recently started to fluctuate at random intervals - sometimes several times within a minute, sometimes once every half-hour. It's almost certainly the subwoofer/amplifier. Can I open it up and fix it myself, and if so, how?

Reply #1
This could very well be a cold solder joint on the circuit board. The usual way of testing this is to heat or cool a small area of the board to see if the problem becomes worse. If you can get a can of "freeze spray" with a long thin tube attached, and give a little squirt to various places on the board while listening to music, you may find the culprit.

How are you at soldering?

Reply #2
Is there anything I should watch out for (i.e., capacitors)?

Reply #3
Check anything that is soldered, so...check everything.

Reply #4
I mean so that I don't get shocked.

Reply #5
A properly designed system won't have any dangerous voltages on the circuit board with the amplifier. Leave it unplugged while you open it up and see where the line voltage goes to, then be careful to avoid that area when it is plugged in, even if the power switch is turned off. If you are uncertain then simply don't touch any part of the circuit while it is plugged in, just squirt quick cool at it.