Skip to main content
Topic: Resampler plugin (Read 339761 times) previous topic - next topic

Resampler plugin

Reply #400
No, it doesn't.

Rough frequency is calculated like this:
RMS(diff(x)) / RMS(x) * sampling rate / (2*pi) where x is the input signal

It's just an average. With music it would give you a rough idea to what frequency the signal energy averages to.

Says nothing about audibility of resampler filters.
"I hear it when I see it."

Re: Resampler plugin

Reply #401
Hello, first of all thanks for the plugin.
I have done a search in the Thread and could not find this answer: what is the difference between the normal version and the src version (the one which in the download thread is on the right, with file name foo_dsp_resampler_0.8.3_src.rar)?

Thanks

Reply #402
That would be the source code to the component, which isn't terribly useful unless you want to compile it yourself, or examine how it works.

Reply #403
Thanks.
Btw, as you are admin, what about putting a "thanks" button to thank people without having to write a post for that? To keep threads shorter. Not necessarily a Reputation system like in Head-Fi. Just thanks.
Anyway. Thanks  :))

Reply #404
Does anybody know if the sox foobar plugin in best quality setting is equivalent to mmpeg soxr in 28 precision setting , ie both using double precision accuracy , same bandpass , same phase response (default linear)?

Reply #405
I've had this installed for a while but am just getting around to getting it set up properly.  Hopefully I'm where I want to be, if someone who is really familiar with this plug-in can confirm or tell me why I'm not I'd really appreciate it.  Ideally I want everything upsampled by an even number to the maximum rate my sound card will support.  I have two active Resampler SoX(mod) active DSPs.  The first has a target rate of 192000 and does not resample 192000;176400;88200;44100;22050;11025.  The second has a target rate of 176400 and does not resample 192000;176400;96000;48000;32000;24000;16000;8000.  Seems like this ought to do it, but I haven't figured out how to see the actual rate being sent via ASIO to the sound card.

I've looked through the thread and see where you can specify arguments for certain parameters, but I don't know where or how you would use them.  Help?

Thanks.

Reply #406
I've been using this great plugin for a while and have a feature request or two:

• Bypass mode - a toggle button that makes the DSP active or not, great for A/B comparison as well as removing it from the DSP chain without loosing settings
  • Presets - the ability to save the parameters for quick recall for both A/B comparison and for persistence if the DSP is removed from the active list and reinstated

Thanks for any consideration you may give these requests.

Reply #407
2. foobar2000 allows to save and restore presets of a whole DSP chain, and it should be enough. No need for per-plugin save/restore.

1. I don't plan to add UI to this plugin. But you can create your own buttons that activate your own DSP presets.

Reply #408
Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll look into saving DSP chains, I haven't used DSPs before now.

I was figuring the UI used to configure the DSP would be the location for the bypass button. 

I'd be starting from zero to figure out how to create a button to activate a preset in a DSP.  Or a button to do anything else for that matter. 

Reply #409
Hi,

Very nice plugin but when I use it I experience digital clipping (both audible and on level meters of my soundcard) when FB2K is set at 0dB (but @ -1dB it's ok).

Is there any option to avoid this ?

My settings : best quality, 91% bandpass, 25% phase. Plugin is used for 2x upsampling from 44.1k or 48k content.
I use ASIO output (ASIO2 plugin). ResamplerSox plugin is the only one DSP.

Regards,
AF.

Reply #410
Normally the only ways to deal with the clipping is lowering the gain or using the Advanced Limiter after SoX, but I think the problem here is Sox outputs 32-bit integers instead of "infinite resolution" 32-bit floating point sample values (greater than 1.0 or less than -1.0), so SoX clips before the Advanced Limiter has a chance to work.

This plugin should be modified to output 32-bit floats for maximum precision that avoids premature clipping.  Please. :)

Reply #412
Yes, this plugin uses floating point math.

Probably arnaudf experiences clipping in ASIO2 plugin or ASIO driver. Adding Advanced Limiter should prevent this.

Reply #413
Hi,

I don't think so.
If I don't use SoX resampler plugin the track has no clipping.

Reply #414
Hi,

I don't think so.
If I don't use SoX resampler plugin the track has no clipping.

Anytime you run certains kinds of signal processing there's always a chance of clipping occurring if the headroom isn't adequate.  The spikes are related to the type of signal processing occurring.  In this case time domain and filtering.  And any filtering (both analog & digital) has the chance of introducing spikes that can clip into the audio stream as much as any changes to the time domain of any signal being processed, if there isn't much headroom available.

Adjust the volume level before resampling to give more headroom if clipping is an issue or use a floating point format file format and make the appropriate adjustments before requantization to an integer format.

Reply #415
Hi,

I don't catch you... sorry
It is stated that Sox Fb2K use floating math, so what could it become integers ?
Also, I don't write back resampled content to any file.

With Sox : the path is FB2K chunks ==> Sox ==> ASIO2 plugin (and there is clipping) ==> soundcard (so yes DSP can alter sample amplitude)
Without Sox : the path is FB2K chunks ==> ASIO2 plugin (and there is no clipping) ==> soundcard
In both case volume settings is @0dB.

But if Sox is a DSP, it is also a resampler which can lead some samples to clip, but also has options to avoid this (-G, --norm) at least in its commandline version.

Reply #416
SoX is a command-line program that contains many DSP algorithms, not just resampling.
About options:
Code: [Select]
-G, --guard              Use temporary files to guard against clipping
--norm                   Guard (see --guard) & normalise
foobar2000 DSP cannot have such options, it cannot buffer the whole song and write it to a temporary buffer.

Reply #417
Hi,

I don't catch you... sorry
It is stated that Sox Fb2K use floating math, so what could it become integers ?
Also, I don't write back resampled content to any file.

With Sox : the path is FB2K chunks ==> Sox ==> ASIO2 plugin (and there is clipping) ==> soundcard (so yes DSP can alter sample amplitude)
Without Sox : the path is FB2K chunks ==> ASIO2 plugin (and there is no clipping) ==> soundcard
In both case volume settings is @0dB.

But if Sox is a DSP, it is also a resampler which can lead some samples to clip, but also has options to avoid this (-G, --norm) at least in its commandline version.

It becomes integers when it's sent to the sound card.  When you use WASAPI or ASIO you bypass Direct Sound's built-in limiter.

A few simple solutions with one being is to just use ReplayGain as you do have a few options to play with here (i.e. preamp for both With RG and Without RG, album, track, etc.), no additional components required because it's built in or another DSP in the chain that can alter the volume before the SOX Resampler.

Reply #418
I find that I'm unable to have SoX do anything but linear phase filtering (e.g. minimum phase) when resampling to 44100.  It seems this is the case with commandline SoX as well.  Any idea why this is so?

Reply #419
What's the source samplerate? I hope it's not 44100 Hz?

Reply #420
96kHz

Reply #421
Works as expected here.

Reply #422
Thanks for your work. For the modified version, is it possible to input a range of frequencies to pass through or do they have to be listed individually (separated w semicolons)?

Reply #423
It supports only a list of frequencies.

Reply #424
Sorry for the dumb question but it's been a long time since I added components.  I don't see SoX on the foobar components page, and the download (for mod version) gives me just a dll.  Foobar 1.3.11 doesn't seem to recognize this file type as a component to install anymore; it wants fb2k-component files.  Any idea how to get this installed?  Running Win 10.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019