Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: foobar2000 vs tag editors (Read 738 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 vs tag editors

Hi there!

I'm tired of having to use programs like TagScanner and MP3Tag to organize my files. I would like to centralize this function in foobar2000, which, as I see it, must be very capable of handling this task efficiently.

The only task I miss in foobar2000 is the ability to resize the artwork integrated in the files (on some devices I use, it is only possible to view artwork of a maximum of 600 pixels).

Would anyone know if there are any other limitations that could harm my choice of foobar2000 as a unique tag organizer at the expense of other specialized software?

I have a very large library that needs to be organized, I would like to start and finish with a single tool, preferably with foobar2000.

Any advice is most welcome!

Re: foobar2000 vs tag editors

Reply #1
For me Foobar satisfies all tagging needs. It is easier to to process music files directly in the player without loading another program and navigating it to the right directory, and without rewriting the scripts. Most functionality in Mp3tag has an equivalent in Foobar, and the titleformat scripting is mostly the same with a some additional functions in either program, which permits writing a script without learning a new syntax, but makes it impossible to directly copy complex scripts between programs. The Actions feature of Mp3tag is availalbe as the Masstagger component, which also provides a live preview. And the tabular view with multiple fields side by side is also there, when multiple fields are selected in properties, and they can be added to the playlist for a quick overview.

Reply #2
I don't mind having a dedicated tagger installed, also to get some control over tags that fb2k doesn't display.

Including what it deliberately fucks up. Once upon a time I picked <ALBUM ARTIST SORT> for a sort key that doesn't get overwritten by "Various Artists", but then came a fb2k update and whenever fb2k touches a file with that as an ID3 ... but only ID3. I've gotten used to dragging them over to MP3tag, select, Alt-5.
High Voltage socket-nose-avatar

Reply #3
Would anyone know if there are any other limitations that could harm my choice of foobar2000 as a unique tag organizer at the expense of other specialized software?...
The only reason I use other taggers are in one instance: Tracking files with/without embedded back, disc, icon or artist images. Front cover image info is made visible on  playlists via the foo_cover-info component.
A foobar enthusiast who's neither an audiophile, nor an album snob.

Ever notice whenever there is a thread mentioning track ratings, someone will inevitably come in to post that they don't use ratings or believe in rating music?

Reply #4
OK, Thank you all very much!

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021