Skip to main content
Topic: Finally able to control vst's in foobar with midi control surface& (Read 9714 times) previous topic - next topic

Finally able to control vst's in foobar with midi control surface&

Hello.
For those who may be interested... I've found a way to control any vst plugin (or any chain of them by the way) in foobar, with an external midi control surface (M-Audio Trigger Finger)
It allows me to use top quality EQ's, compressors, stereo wideners... etc... al controlled from external hardware.
The chain goes like this:

M-Audio Trigger Finger ---->> M-Audio Firewire audio/midi card.
M-Audio Firewire midi input --->> midiOX, which acts as a redirector/filter to send the physical midi input to midiyoke1 virtual (multiclient) port.

Then inside foobar:
1) George Yohng's VST plugins adapter foo_dsp_vstwrap.dll
inside this adapter I load the amazing and most powerful vst host-plugin-instrument ever created:
2) EnergyXT (not freeware but really cheap, v1.36 in my case, I know it is not the most up to date version but it has everything I need)
3) a little utility from energyXT called midixt that is key here; you load it as any other plugin inside the host (energyXT) and it provides the capability of grabbing an EXTERNAL midi input port (midiyoke1 in my case) and route it to any other plugin inside.
4) After this, all you have to do is start to make midi mappings inside energyXT to the different plugin parameters that you'd be interested in controlling.

It behaves very well and although not easy to setup the first time, you only have to do it once.

The great freeware combo midiOX + midiyoke acts as midi router/analyzer/testing/virtual multiclient ports among many other things, and helps a lot to see the inner workings of your midi data and send specific midi messages/parameters, etc.. to any virtual midi port that can be accessed by any number of different applications at the same time.

Screenshoot

I hope this can be useful for somebody, because I've seen some posts with requests to be able to control the foobar eq with an external hardware surface, and I think that this is much more, you can control whatever chain of vst plugins you have (provided that it has some automatable parameters).

Reply #1
Wow, that's pretty cool! I wish I had seen this post earlier..!
reminds me of an environment layer in Logic

Reply #2
Out of interest, would this work with Yegor's newer VST adaptor? It's becoming quite popular, so a number of users may be interested if this method could work with it.

Reply #3
Very probably...
I see no reason why it wouldn't work, provided that you can load energyXT on it (and midiXT inside energyXT)
But I don't know the inner workings of this new VST adaptor as to know if there's anything that could interfere with the midi flow...

Reply #4

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020