Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wvunpack.exe verify option (Read 6840 times) previous topic - next topic

wvunpack.exe verify option

Here is the official documentation on the verify (-v) option:

-v = verify source data only (no output file created)
This option allows the user to verify the integrity of WavPack files (including any correction file). Note that this option not only verfies that a WavPack file has not been corrupted since creation, but it also verfies that the audio data is being unpacked exactly as intended (even in the lossy mode). Therefore, it can also detect algorithm errors, incompatible implementations of the encoder or decoder, and even faulty processor hardware.

I am a fan of this process, because I don't want to go back to my files and find any issues, rare as this may be.  But unless you are at the console watching this process run, you don’t know if it was verified successfully or if there was an error.  FLAC will stop the encoding if a –V is run parallel to the encoding, so if you go back to your computer and there is no Flac file, you know to investigate.  This is probably the biggest advantage Flac has over WavPack, hardware support notwithstanding.  WavPack has been my lossless choice for a long time now, but I like to encode with REACT, like many of us here.

With REACT, I added a line to verify:
Code: [Select]
@tools@\wvunpack.exe -v *.wv
or
@tools@\wvunpack.exe –v "%TrackName%.wv"

but the window closes unless you put a pause option.  This won’t work for an encode of individual tracks, because each window would need a button to close out before it would move on.  You would have to sit at the computer for the entire ripping/encoding process, defeating the purpose of automation.

It would be an awesome feature to have a parameter in the encode process to kill the encode if there was an error, but that would likely be a huge effort on David’s part.  But maybe something involved with the way wvunpack.exe is run would help notify the user if there was a failure.  It doesn’t look like the results can be put to stdout like the –S and –SS options, otherwise we could have a text file in the directory to check for results.  Or maybe, some type of functionality to rename the file if there is a problem with the verify results.  I suppose an AutoIT program can be set up to copy and paste the console window contents, but that would be somewhat frustrating as well.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get your file verify results saved interactively?

Thanks!
Scott

Reply #1
why not just run wvunpack -v *.wv in the directory afterwards?

as it is a cli DECODER the functions you are asking for would need to be in place in the ENCODER.  flac can do this as it does not have seperate executables for encoding and decoding.

how often do you have faulty wavpack encodes?

later

Reply #2
I petitioned David a while back to get wvunpack to return a non-zero value if verification failed.  This allows me to do this in my REACT cfg (following the encode):

REM Verify the image
@WVUNPACK.EXE -vm "@image@"

REM If verification fails pause for user input
@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
I'm on a horse.