Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Giantdisc Client Interface (Read 2556 times) previous topic - next topic

Giantdisc Client Interface

Hi there!

Maybe this is a little utopic. But it would be a dream to be able to control foobar2k with a Palm PDA. There is already client software (working with any Palm OS, even the really old ones you're getting already really cheap) fantastically doing this job. Sadly only for linux machines serving it with music (see http://[a href='http://www.giantdisc.com' target='_blank'][/a]www.giantdisc.com) You can easily browse through huge music collections, organize it by custom genres and even have a stylish wireless remote using Bluetooth.
I'm not experienced enough in programming to realize the level of compatibility between the foobar database format and the giantdisc linux server. But maybe the two servers don't even need to be compatible. The Palm software communicates to its server using simple text commands. The server software does this by using simple Perl scripts which are easily readable, even by non Perl programmers.
Is anybody experienced in this kind of stuff?

rpp3po

Reply #1
Im glad i stumbled across this thread because this provides a wonderful solution to a problem ive been contemplating. Ive been working out the design for a slim pc based media player for my car and my biggest concern was how i was going to interface with the media player software without the aid of a monitor or keyboard as their presence in a car would be terribly tacky. Ive considering alternatives using programmable LCD touchscreens/buttons, remote controls, etc but it appears i would only be reinventing the wheel. I have contemplated the use of a pda using blue tooth and now that just may be the prescription since someone has already done the work. Now im even more eager to see a good fb2k port to linux since this slim pc will certainly be linux based.

Reply #2
I almost gave up hope on this.  I would LOVE to see an app like GiantDisc for foobar2k, as I am also working on a car media player.  However, the Palm client is in desperate need of a rebuild to support armlets and high-res devices.  But I'd like to make a suggestion for the foobar plugin.  If anyone decides to work on this, can they include support for some type of script support?  This way, someone could click a button on the palm client and the PC would run a script to, say, sync the palm via WiFi to the home network, or maybe update its music library via WiFi.  I have tried the linux version, but me and Linux never get along too well.  (Mandrake is very unstable.  Try pppd and usb to see what I mean.)

Reply #3
Sounds like a very cool idea, ideal for the lazy man.
"If you cannot read this, please ask the flight attendant for assistance."
- United Airlines Flight Safety Brochure