Skip to main content
Topic: MP3 listening test on Cognitive Daily (Read 3438 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 listening test on Cognitive Daily

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/200...distinguish.php

The test seems very flawed. All samples are encoded twice, first to the "test" bitrate, after that reencoded to 256kpbs. The original is not even given.

The relation between considered audiophile-ness and ability to detect differences in my opininion says nothing but the fact that the people considering themselves to be audiophiles simply tried harder.

Too bad if even "science" can't get it right.

Reply #1
The relation between considered audiophile-ness and ability to detect differences in my opininion says nothing but the fact that the people considering themselves to be audiophiles simply tried harder.

Too bad if even "science" can't get it right.

I was reading it and I am quite disgusted myself. Do people not understand the entire concept behind ABXing and blind-listening tests? This is shameful. I know people in the scientific community who still don't understand the whole idea behind subjective differences and they dare to call themselves "software engineers". Why are people under the misconception that you need to be an "audiophile" in order to discern any differences? I get into arguments with people about this all of the time it's not rocket science. 
budding I.T professional

Reply #2
There is something like a "mainstream" in "science" too. Most "scientists" i've talked with do not really analyze the concepts which they learn, similiar to how people in schools are supposed to imitate what is taught, not analyze and question it. Stuff like "analyzing meaning" is asumed to be philosophy... something which is just "pointless babble" and irrelevant for science. The consequences of that mindset are rarely noticed by the affected ones themselves. Off course, there are scientists who actually know what they're talking about and are introspective.... but they form a minority (even though, an influential minority).
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020