Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 100% Exact CD Duplication (Read 13377 times) previous topic - next topic

100% Exact CD Duplication

Reply #25
And use something sensible like WavPack instead of FLAC (fuct lossless audio compression), :B
mwoahahaa

seriously, libflac api interface is a pain to work with, library has problems, and liboggflac is even worse.
wavpack at least doesn't require player developer to spend hours on figuring the library api.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #26
And use something sensible like WavPack instead of FLAC (fuct lossless audio compression), :B
mwoahahaa

Please explain.

I believe what was meant was why go for lossless and worry about the space requiremets (but still requiring a perfect copy when you can have a lossy format and store the larger files away, but still recover the original files if need be, therfore bypassing the step of transcoding and storing large files on the hard disk.
Of course i could be wrong, and if this is the case, i personally don't understand the benefit of space saving for only one album.

@zZzZzZz
As for the api, i belive this is going to be addressed in the next flac release, but i guess you know that from the reply to your post previously. Just lettin you know in case you missed it.

Cheers,

Kristian

Reply #27
[TROLL]
mwoahahaa
[/TROLL]

Instead of posting something like this, I hope you give Josh the info what is wrong with FLAC in your opinion. That can actually help, which is the purpose of this board..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #28
several questions:

1- when you look at the log, and the t+c crc's match, but the track quality is less than 100% (usually 99.9, or 99.8), is your copy still an "'exact copy?" If it is, what does "track quality refer to?
2- why is it better to rip the CD as one wav file?
3- "burning audio CDs in joliet mode" - that would mean burning the WAVs at the root of the CD? isn't there more to it than that to make sure the discs are compliant (and thus playable in all players)?

thanks, in advance, for any responses and/or advice.

Reply #29
1- when you look at the log, and the t+c crc's match, but the track quality is less than 100% (usually 99.9, or 99.8), is your copy still an "'exact copy?" If it is, what does "track quality refer to?

Yes. That the quality is a little less than 100% just mean that there were errors on the cd that has been corrected.

Who said that one big wave is better? There shouldn't be a difference.

Reply #30
Thanks Jan...

Who said that one big wave is better? There shouldn't be a difference.

"3. Use a single wav and cue sheet"

frosty wrote: "If you're going to rip it as one wav (which you should)..."

(from posts in this thread)

Reply #31
yup...

again.. why ripp. the music to hd... at all... 
your  saying.. ripp the content to a good compression format..

and then burn it.. from there..

as i stated earlyer.. use padus discjuggler.. 
this app.. will give you a perfect copy..
whatever you feed it with.. B)
(copy protected to..(you got to have a capable burner))
it even.. truly remaster the sound.. if you got a good media... 

it just seems so redundant, time consuming and degrading...

Reply #32
I believe what was meant was why go for lossless and worry about the space requiremets (but still requiring a perfect copy when you can have a lossy format and store the larger files away, but still recover the original files if need be, therfore bypassing the step of transcoding and storing large files on the hard disk.
Of course i could be wrong, and if this is the case, i personally don't understand the benefit of space saving for only one album.

The small amout of space that you save on lossless compression can be used for PAR recovery archives so you can repair the files in case they are damaged by scratches on the CD:s used for storing the lossless files... (If you happend to use CD:s that is...)

Reply #33
incidentally, after you create an *.ape file with a *.cue file.. how do you er.. listen to this.. and how would you burn it back onto a cd?

Reply #34
incidentally, after you create an *.ape file with a *.cue file.. how do you er.. listen to this.. and how would you burn it back onto a cd?

To listen to the resulting file, just play it in Winamp 2. If you want to listen to individual tracks, feed the .cue file to the "MakeAPL" program that comes with Monkey's Audio, and it will create a .apl file for each track on the original CD. These files are only a few bytes big, but contain the information that the Monkey's Audio Winamp plug-in (or Media Jukebox) needs to play just that one track out of the whole-CD file.

To burn an ape/cue combo back to a CD, either use Exact Audio Copy (warning - burn at a low speed, decoding APEs takes a lot of CPU power!) or decompress the APE to a Wave file with Monkey's Audio, modify the file reference in the .cue file to point to filename.wav instead of filename.ape, and use "Burn Image" in Nero to burn the cue sheet.

Hopefully one day Nero will directly support .ape files.

Reply #35
Hopefully one day Nero will directly support .ape files.

Saw over on the Monkey's Audio message boards: here
that a Nero plugin has been released

see http://www.geocities.com/mausau/

I haven't tested them myself.

Oblong...

Reply #36
Thanks a lot for this conclusive thread, which I had in mind too.

Two last questions I would like to know:

1) I don't know how the CDDB hash works, but since this method you describe give a perfect copy, the resulting disc should be correctly identified, right?

2) Linux support? cdparanoia hasn't got all these cue-features that EAC seem to have. Do I need to rip under Windows? And, which is important, are there tools available to extract this stuff under Linux? I know FLAC exists, but what about cue-extraction and stuff, how do I do that?

Would I be able to play the resulting file (perhaps using some sort of loopback mount) or is it only for later burning?