Skip to main content
Topic: Problems ripping in secure mode (Read 1171 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems ripping in secure mode

For some reason Foobar won't rip CDs in secure mode when I use a particular PC. The other PC here works well. Normal, or insecure mode however works perfectly using either PC, taking under 5 minutes to rip a whole CD.

If I try to rip a CD Foobar seems to hang and Device Manager reports it as not responding, although this isn't completely true... if I leave Foobar alone for a while, 20 or 30 minutes later it usually will have managed to rip half a track.

The PC has three different drives installed and this behaviour is common with all of them. One is SATA while the other two are IDE. I'm assuming it's something going on with the drive/motherboard communication, although all three drives (DVD burners) seem to work perfectly in every other respect. When I try to rip in secure mode the drive seems to read the CD but I guess it isn't having any luck. For some reason the hard drive LED stays permanently lit during the process as well. On the second PC here the hard drive LED flashes at regular short intervals while the CD is ripping, as I'd expect.

To confuse me even further I installed EAC which seems to rip CDs using the "problem" PC at a decent speed. The only oddity I've noticed there is that if I tell EAC to detect silence between tracks, that process takes a very long time. I'm not sure if that's normal as I haven't tried EAC on the second PC yet to see if the same thing happens, and I don't know if Foobar detects silence in the same way and if this is where it could be getting stuck. The hard drive LED stays permanently during the ripping process using EAC as well.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what could be causing this I'd appreciate it.

The motherboard with the problem is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DSP.

Thanks in advance.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020