Skip to main content
Topic: SHM CDS are a rip off! (Read 3327 times) previous topic - next topic

SHM CDS are a rip off!

I have been a music collector for many years, and I was very excited about the new limited edition Super High Materials re-issues of some of my favorite classic rock titles. I purchased over 2 dozen titles by Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Velvet Underground, Steely Dan & others. Being limited editions, I thought they would be a good investment even with the $50 price tag. Boy was I wrong! Not even a year after their initial release, these titles are being re-issued as "encore" pressings at half the price of the 1st pressings! Universal Japan lied to the buying public. If they are being re-issued, they are not limited editions, and from a collectable standpoint the are worthless!! I will never purchase another one of these titles again. I don't appreciate being lied to, and hope some of you out there will join me in boycotting these cds.

SHM CDS are a rip off!

Reply #1
I guess now, in the internet era, everyone should consider buying downloadable media. Why pay more if you cannot hear any difference?

SHM CDS are a rip off!

Reply #2
I guess now, in the internet era, everyone should consider buying downloadable media. Why pay more if you cannot hear any difference?

I'll bite:
  • In a few years, you might have other equipment on which you can hear the difference
  • somebody might come over and they might hear a difference
  • you cannot hold a downloaded song in the palm of your hand and say: here, this is what I just bought. It's tangible.
  • because (over here at least) taking a backup of purchased songs on a physical medium is allowed to protect you against loss/media failure/... . I wonder whether the same can be said for DRM-protected songs (I guess it depends on the vendor)
  • because the bought CD box comes with nice artwork you don't have to print out for yourself
  • because a pressed CD lasts 10+ years and your downloaded song is stored on media which lasts 2 or 3 years (CDR or hard drive). You might not want to have to read up on RAID and backup technologies just to have a reasonable amount of certainty that in 5 years you'll still be able to play your songs.

Things are not that black and white...

SHM CDS are a rip off!

Reply #3
[quote author==trott= link=msg=580794 date=1217846411]
  • In a few years, you might have other equipment on which you can hear the difference
  • somebody might come over and they might hear a difference
  • you cannot hold a downloaded song in the palm of your hand and say: here, this is what I just bought. It's tangible.
  • because (over here at least) taking a backup of purchased songs on a physical medium is allowed to protect you against loss/media failure/... . I wonder whether the same can be said for DRM-protected songs (I guess it depends on the vendor)
  • because the bought CD box comes with nice artwork you don't have to print out for yourself
  • because a pressed CD lasts 10+ years and your downloaded song is stored on media which lasts 2 or 3 years (CDR or hard drive). You might not want to have to read up on RAID and backup technologies just to have a reasonable amount of certainty that in 5 years you'll still be able to play your songs.
[/quote]
  • There's little to improve to hear the difference with FLAC or even 256k MP3
  • That's very unlikely (maybe 0.001% probability? that's acceptable)
  • Many, many people would tolerate this peculiarity of digital media, you cannot hold it, but at the same time it does exist. And at the same time costs less, arrives at your place instantly, takes up no space of your living room
  • I discommend DRM. There's a plethora of online stores that offer DRM-free downloads
  • With a digital computer you'll see artwork on your screen, and even more... Sounds futuristic, eh?
  • A pressed CD takes up too much space for only 80 mins of stereo audio. All you need to back-up your WHOLE collection is an external HDD (takes up 4 standard jewel boxes), stored in a safe place (e.g., at your friend's)
Again, I just want people to consider buying different kind of media. The same music, different medium.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020