Skip to main content
Topic: FLACCL: CUDA-enabled FLAC encoder by Gregory S. Chudov (prev. FlaCuda) (Read 350558 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FLACCL: CUDA-enabled FLAC encoder by Gregory S. Chudov (prev. FlaCuda)

Reply #500
FlacCL isn't based on libFLAC - it's too different from it to benefit from any recent changes to libFLAC.
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #501
Good evening and thanks for pointing that out.

How feasible would a WavPackCL be? I mainly use wavpack to compress High-Rez PCM and DSD files.

Reply #502
From what i remember, WavPack (and most other lossless formats) can't benefit from the kind of parallel processing that FlacCL does. Most formats can benefit from parallel encoding of multiple frames or at least files on different CPU cores, but for GPU parallelism you need to parallelize differently - parallel processing of samples or small sample blocks or multiple similar compression methods on the same frame, but algorithms such as WavPack and ALAC have "memory", i.e. encoding of previous samples affects the encoding of the rest of the frame, so i don't see how they can be paralellized for GPU.
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #503
If a transmutation to the video world and gross simplification (for the sake of better understanding) is acceptable, then basically formats using I-frames only are suited for GPU encoding acceleration whereas those relying on P and B-frames are not.

On a different matter - what command line argument (--opencl-platform) do Intel people use?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018